How To Make A Gumpaste Wine Bottle

Decorating By sugarshack Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 1:29am by sugarshack

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 14

I just snapped these pics real quick with a reject bottle, but you can get the idea of how to do it.

I colored my GP VERY dark green, but be advised it takes a lot longer to dry when you do that. I had to let each piece dry 2.5-3 days before I could assemble it. That was using the Nic Lodge recipe. The one you see in this pic was Satin Ice gumpaste and it is still soft.

HEAVILY dust the underside of your rolled out GP; lay on top of a real bottle and cut out the top half. The pink fondant is just shoved under there to keep the bottle from rolling. ( pic 1)

Let that dry fully.(2-3 days in this case)

Then flip that all over,so the dry half is now on the bottom of bottle, and cut out the other half, using the dry piece as a guide to cut your seem so they match ( pic 2). The bottle I really used for the cake was a cleaner cut than shown in this pic.

let that dry fully.( 2-3 days)

When both pieces are nice and hard, then you cut a strip of GP or fondant, moisten it, and attach to the insiderim of the GP bottle as shown. (pic 3) Do this on both sides of the bottle. Then place the two pieces in place together. Use your fingers and a long dowel or skewer to go up inside the bottom hole to press the wet strip to the insides of the bottle to secure it well.

Let that dry a while. Then I gave the whole bottle a rub down with crisco and wiped off the excess to get rid of cornsratch residue. I spackled the side seams with matching BC ( or royal). Cut a round disc for the bottom and just adhere with water.

after the crisco all absorbed in, I gave it a good spraying of edible laquer.

I used candy foil for the neck of the bottle.

I ended up having to use real paper for the labels b/c the piping gel was showing thru the edible images.

That's it I think!

PS>>> The photos loaded in reverse order, finish to start.....( sorry icon_confused.gif )
LL
LL
LL
LL

13 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 14

so awesome!! but then again ALL of your work is!!

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 10:48am
post #3 of 14

Thanks you so much for taking the time to post this!!!
You said in your e-mail that you were and you did, Thank you for being a great teacher and a inspiration to us all.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 14

Sugarshack - thank you so much for sharing this. You are very kind to do so.

You do magnificent work!! Every week, I check to see if you have uploaded new pics. My aspiration is to be just half as good as you!

sugarshack Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you all for the kind words!

My pleasure!; happy to help any way I can..... that is how we all learn, right? icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 14

That is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Rikke_Denmark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rikke_Denmark Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 14

That is great... maybe someday I get an ordre where I'll need a bottle, and then I now what to do... So great icon_biggrin.gif

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 14

That looks like a real bottle! Great job!

mmo88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmo88 Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 14

Sugar Shack, your cakes are great and you are very generous for sharing this info with us. Thank you so much.

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 14

save

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for sharing!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:03am
post #12 of 14

Thanks Sugarshack!! Do I see a video of this in our future??? icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:09am
post #13 of 14

Sharon you rock icon_smile.gif !!!!

Thank you for taking your time to post this.. we all know how busy you are!!! icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:29am
post #14 of 14

happy to do it; sorry its not the best pics

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%