Smash Cakes

Business By pieceofcake1 Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 3:27pm by Suebee

pieceofcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake1 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:07am
post #1 of 16

I need to know a bit about these. I am guessing these are for a baby's 1st party? How big are they and what do most of you sell yours for? Do they have a lot of decorating?? Thanks

15 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:22am
post #2 of 16

I make mine in in a 6 inch round pan that is 3 inches high. I do not put filling in it. I decorate it to match the larger cake ordered for the party. I charge $8 for them. I have seen many people here give them free with orders for 1st birthday cakes and I would love to do that , but I am already not charging enough for birthday cakes so giving the smash one free would really cut into my profits.

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:22am
post #3 of 16

The one's I've made are in the 6x2" rounds, not filled with as much batter as usual. This is a small cake that baby gets to 'tear into' and get as messy as they want! You can decorate elaboratly or simple, whatever your preference, believe me, once you set the cake in front of the baby it is just a matter of minutes before it is destroyed!

jesaltuve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:39am
post #4 of 16

I was wondering what smash cakes were...LOL

pieceofcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake1 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:55am
post #5 of 16

Do you think you could advertise just smash cakes? I don't do cakes, just cupcakes.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 16

I include a free smash cake w/each 1st b-day cake order. I use a 4" round pan, so it really doesn't require much extra batter or frosting. I decorate them very simply w/a number 1. I'll try and attach a pic.
LL

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 16

I provide a free smash cake with all 1st birthday cakes. Whenever I have leftover batter, I make extra 4x2" or 5x2" cakes and keep them in the freezer. Single layer, no filling, very simple decorations with a big "1" on top (like Sally icon_smile.gif ). After all, it's just going to be smashed, right? icon_lol.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 16

I use a 4" round or square cake for a smash cake. If it is not a 1st birthday then they get charged per serving on the cake. If it is a first birthday then it is my gift to them.

I decorate the smash cake in some way to match the cake. If it is for the 1st birthday they don't get to pick just any flavor it is either white/chocolate or the flavor of the main cake-They also only get Buttercream icing on it.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofcake1

Do you think you could advertise just smash cakes? I don't do cakes, just cupcakes.

If you don't do cakes how would you do the smash cakes? icon_confused.gif You could advertise that you do smash cakes to match the cupcakes for the party but you'd have to do cakes! icon_lol.gif

I have a great small 1 pan from the wilton numbers set that is perfect for a smash cake. Or I have made shaped cakes to match the theme since I have lots of shapes. I used a small egg pan for my Easter themed 1st b-day cake or I used cookie cutters to make my son's paw and bone cake last year. I cut them out of a cake I made with leftover batter. A 4in cake is a nice size too for a smash cake.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 16

I think it is good business to give a free smash cake. By using left overs, the cake is really already paid for and customers see that as a nice personal touch.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 16

I'd also guess that using white or a very lightly tinted icing would be key, since the cake will get on EVERYTHING. icon_razz.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

I think it is good business to give a free smash cake. By using left overs, the cake is really already paid for and customers see that as a nice personal touch.

I agree! My customers are always very happy and surprised when I tell them that my smash cakes are free. thumbs_up.gif

jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 12:49am
post #13 of 16

The bakery I worked for made smash cakes that were 4 inches and charged 11.99 for them. They had one layer of filling and were iced to order. I always thought it was just a little to expensive when one could just buy a cup cake for 1.50 or 2.00 hehe.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 16

In my area smash cakes are generally free with the purchase of the first birthday cake. When I'm in business someday, I plan to give them free.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:27pm
post #15 of 16

We give a 6" single layer cake free with 1st birthday. When ordered with another cake (not 1st BD) $5.00.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 16

We give a 6" single layer cake free with 1st birthday. When ordered with another cake (not 1st BD) $5.00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%