How Much Lorann Oil Equals 1/4 Tsp. Of Extract?

Baking By puzzlegut Updated 26 Dec 2012 , 11:13pm by auzzi

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 17

I just bought some almond oil by LorannOils because it was on clearance. Normally in my buttercream recipe, I use 1/4 tsp of almond extract. I know you don't use as much oil as you would extract. Does anyone have any idea how much oil would equal 1/4 tsp? I don't want to over due it on the flavor. Thanks.

16 replies
Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 17

bump cuz I want to know too!
I used my cherry flavor last month and just put some drops in until I liked the smell of it. the flavor came out soooooooo nice Everyone just loved it.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:00am
post #3 of 17

bumping this post to see if anyone can give us an answer

puzzlegut Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 17

I really need to know because I have a couple of cakes coming up.

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 17

Well on the Lorann website, i looked up their buttercream recipe and it sounds like 1/4 tsp of lorann oil is equal to 1 tsp of extract?

http://www.lorannoils.com/gourmet_recipes/butter_frosting.htm

puzzlegut Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks melxcloud! So I guess if I need 1/4 tsp of almond extract, then I'm going to need 1/16 tsp of almond oil. That's one tiny teaspoon (if they actually make them that small). I wonder how many drops of oil would equal that?

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 17

Almond extract is sold in the supermarket. Why are you wanting to substitute for it?

puzzlegut Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 17

I was almost out of almond extract and one day when I was in Walmart, they had some almond oil on clearance, so I went ahead and bought some. Otherwise I would have bought some almond extract.

sarahsees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsees Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 17

Almond extract is sold in the supermarket. Why are you wanting to substitute for it?

I'm sorry to be the newbie here but wow, why do people feel the need to ask that question? icon_sad.gif  She bought it and now she needs to know how to use it, it's that simple. It is so hard to ask for help any more w/o feeling like you're being judged or told to go do something else.

I bought Lorann Oils when a friend who knew of my love for baking gave me a gift cert. and i have had a hard time figuring out how to use them too.  I just found  a recipe for something with eggnog & have the eggnogg flavoring (bought for my lactose-intolerant but egg-nog loving brother!), but my recipe calls for 1/4 tsp egg nog extract. So I am really glad for the help!

I bought just a regular eye dropper after reading how strong the stuff is, but luckily I am at my parents' house and Mom has a 1/8th tsp measuring spoon. Yay! I'll use half - I can't imagine how this will work but if it does, i'll report back! How did your recipe turn out, puzzlegut? I'd love to know if i should try to use these or just chuck 'em :) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 17

Droppers are nice for sure but (how do you clean them for re-use?) what I do with Lorann Oils is

pour some in the lid then pour out a few drops in my batter then just taste test it and add more if needed.

sarahsees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsees Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

Droppers are nice for sure but (how do you clean them for re-use?) what I do with Lorann Oils is

pour some in the lid then pour out a few drops in my batter then just taste test it and add more if needed.

Fabulous info, and thank you for the personal note as well.  I have cleaned the droppers just by giving  them a good soak in warm sudsy water, then rinse really well!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 17

LorAnn makes dropper bottle tops for the 1-ounce and the dram bottles, they sell them in packs of 4. They screw on the same as the bottle cap.

I have installed these onto the ounce bottles that I use all the time, so that I never clean the dropper.  I even swap them from one bottle to the next of the same flavour without cleaning--there is no need.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you. Irene. Pouring it into the cap of the bottle then pouring into the batter from there has always worked great. No need for the investment and besides they won't fit onto all the myriad bottles and brands I have. If I had employees I would get droppers to ensure uniformity. I got that pouring thing down. Thank you though.

BakingIrene Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

Thank you. Irene. Pouring it into the cap of the bottle then pouring into the batter from there has always worked great. No need for the investment and besides they won't fit onto all the myriad bottles and brands I have. If I had employees I would get droppers to ensure uniformity. I got that pouring thing down. Thank you though.

I was responding to the original question and some subsequent posts NOT YOURS.

I would like ALL Cake Central posters to know that when you hit the "submit" button, there is a robotic traffic cop at your ISP (internet service provider) as well as another one at Cake Central's ISP.  This causes posts to NOT appear in sequence.  

The answer is to quote the post that one specifically wishes to reply to.

I am addressing this issue because it has cropped up a few times before, when somebody thinks that I am responding to them when I am absolutely NOT.  For all that anybody knows, several posters hit the "submit" button simultaneously and the ISP's control the sequence that appears online.

BakingIrene Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

No need for the investment and besides they won't fit onto all the myriad bottles and brands I have. 

The pack of four droppers costs about the same as an ounce of the flavour oil.  In the long run it saves $$$ when you drip the stuff in without touching the food, and ther is no need to wash that concentrate off your fingers after pouring it.

LorAnn uses a standard bottle size that is generally available should anybody (like me) mix their own emulsions or extracts. The droppers are a good bit harder to find than the bottles. 

The availability of myriad bottles is a US local phenomenon.  In the rest of the world, people would be lucky to find two or three different brands.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 8:56pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post

Thank you. Irene. Pouring it into the cap of the bottle then pouring into the batter from there has always worked great. No need for the investment and besides they won't fit onto all the myriad bottles and brands I have. If I had employees I would get droppers to ensure uniformity. I got that pouring thing down. Thank you though.

Originally Posted by BakingIrene

I was responding to the original question and some subsequent posts NOT YOURS.

I would like ALL Cake Central posters to know that when you hit the "submit" button, there is a robotic traffic cop at your ISP (internet service provider) as well as another one at Cake Central's ISP. This causes posts to NOT appear in sequence.

The answer is to quote the post that one specifically wishes to reply to.

I am addressing this issue because it has cropped up a few times before, when somebody thinks that I am responding to them when I am absolutely NOT. For all that anybody knows, several posters hit the "submit" button simultaneously and the ISP's control the sequence that appears online.

Well then I apologize for thanking you. I guess. I was the one who said I din want to wash droppers. Sarah said she just used warm sudsy water to clean hers. Good idea. You said they sell droppers now to replace the caps. Good idea but I'm broke.

I really feel like I'm in an alternate reality and I still might not fit in around here. I gave it a solid 23 month break.

Why go to all this trouble to reject a thanks. Really?

Two days ago was the last post before yours.

I responded to yours, the ISP gatekeeper is witholding posts and you don't want no thanks. Got it. Sorta.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 11:13pm
post #17 of 17

For anyone who is interested: it is generally held that there are 60 drops in one standard teaspoon:

1 teaspoon extract = 1/4 teaspoon Lorann Oil [ 1/4 x 60 = 15 drops ]

1/4 teaspoon extract = 1/4 x 15 drops [ 4 drops]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VLN1E/?tag=cakecentral-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HS7QJS/?tag=cakecentral-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009X1P9S/?tag=cakecentral-20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%