Graduation Hats Help!

Decorating By Sweetcakes23 Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 1:01am by Cake_Mooma

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:13am
post #1 of 15

I am trying to make a graduation hat. I have the cake (bottom part) done. But I'm having fits with the flat top part. Every time I wrap the MMF around the cardboard square, it cuts and cracks at the edges! Am I rolling too thin? For these hats, does one need to make it much thicker?
Do you put anything on this cardboard before applying the fondant?
Any tips welcome PLEASE!!
icon_cry.gif

14 replies
Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:26am
post #2 of 15

I would roll it out a little thicker. I made one but I didn't use a cardboard, I just added some GUmtex to the fondant and let it dry and set it on top no board. Hope that helps

Vicky

Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:40am
post #3 of 15

Oh, ok,...my fondant is already made and colored, can i just add gumtex to it now? And then you let it dry in a flat square?

Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:42am
post #4 of 15

I just looked at yours,...looks great. How did you get the writing on your fondant diploma?

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:42am
post #5 of 15

I made one using foam board that I covered in foil. My MMF was probably 1/4 in. thick. I didn't have problems with the edges. Hope it works for you. And yes, you could add gumtex to your fondant once made and colored.

Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:47am
post #6 of 15

Yours is great too! Thanks for the reply!

Cake_Mooma Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 15

Yes you can add the gumtex after it is colored. Cut it to the size that you want it and let dry like that. As for the diploma I used the same transfer method that I used on the Dora cake (since you looked at my photos you will see a dora cake with about 6 characters) I have the instructions for that if you need them. It is a little like FBCT (Frozen Buttercream Transfer) only you use you icing colors instead of bbuttercream icing. Hope that helps. If you need more info on anything feel free to pm me

Vicky

Cake_Mooma Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 15

Forgot to ask when do you need this cake for?

Vicky

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 15

for my graduation cap, I just rolled out fondant, I didn't add gumtex or gumpaste or anything. Just fondant. I did do it a few days ahead of time, and I just cut it square and set it on a board for a few days to dry. The only problems I had was with the tassel - don't make that ahead of time icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=501843

I also didn't make the cap base out of cake, that's just fondant too.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 15

I just added gumtex as well - but I formed mine using a 1 cup measuring cup wrapped in press n seal. I let it sit for a few days and it was great!!

SusieMcG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieMcG Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 15

I just did a grad. cap for a cake this weekend - did the "cap" cake from 1/2 the Wilton Sports Ball pan. For the mortar board, I bought a square cardboard cake board (can't remember if it was 8x8 or 9x9, but I cut it down by 1" on each side to be more in proportion to a real cap). I used a little Wilton white decorating gel as Glue, and did roll my fondant a little thicker too.

I covered each side separately - the 1st side I did in exactly the same size as the board. The second (visible top) I cut approx 1" bigger on all 4 sides, and then folded over the bottom, this time using a little gumpaste glue to seal the flaps.

I already posted the picture - feel free to check it out. For the tassel, I bought a keychain from our local partystore, and secured it under the "button" on top, so that the graduate can have the keychain as a keepsake afterwards.

Good luck!!!!

Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 15

You guys rock! So many great ideas! And much easier than what i was trying to do! Thanks! Are most of these tassels "real" tassels? Or are you putting them through clay gun?

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 10:20pm
post #13 of 15

My tassel is out of fondant, just 2 'snakes' twisted together and then tiny string of fondant attached to the bottom of it icon_smile.gif

Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 10:25pm
post #14 of 15

BeaShorty, I do have plenty of time to let a fondant one dry....I have a week. Thanks for all your help guys! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Mooma Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:01am
post #15 of 15

My tassle was from the scrapbooking section of Michael's. It worked out great a little short but it was fine. My hat portion of the cap was cake covered in fondant and I actually put a dowel to hold it in place.

Vicky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%