Just A Little Steamed!!!!

Decorating By gilson6 Updated 9 Aug 2006 , 3:34am by mookey

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 2:50am
post #31 of 36

Wow Gibson6.
I have had issues with my church also. Mainly due to the fact that some of us are worker bees and others are not. I refuse to let satan interfere with me going to church.
My Pastor has advice for this kind of thing. First always pray. Second if you still feel burdened by this don't do it. Nothing is worth leaving the church over. Try to step down from your positions; someone will take over. Trust me. I have been a teacher on Wednesday night for 5 years. Since I'm a full-time student, one of my classes in the fall are on a wed, night. ANyway...
I have been looking for a replacement for six months. Finally someone has offered to take over. She is already doing so many things.
I will pray for you to have PEACE!
How long has this man been your Pastor?

Blessings on you & your family.

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 12:16pm
post #32 of 36

Ok, so this pastor has been at the church for 10 years. That's not uncommon. I personally think it is absolutely outrageous that they're giving such a gift. Now, I completely understand wanting to honor him, and give a gift, but 25K? They ARE paid an annual salary, and depending on the church, a place to live, rent free. What on earth would a pastor do with 25K? (I'm going to assume this is not a Catholic church). Perhaps he would donate it back to the church.

On the other hand, if this pastor had been celebrating a 25 or 50 year pastorship, then I could understand giving him a more substantial gift. But personally, I think a gift of $25,000 is out of line for ANY 10 year anniversary.

Now, as for the cake. They probably thought you'd donate it as your Christian duty. If they were upfront about it and said "Would you be willing to donate a cake for 200 ppl. for our pastor's anniversary?", that would be one thing, BUT, if they asked you for a price, then it's a business deal, not a church donation. As unChristian as this may sound, you CANNOT donate to everyone. If word gets out that you donate to some churches/charities, etc. then every Tom, Dick and Harry will come out of the woodwork asking for donations. I know this from experience. (I donated to a women's shelter for 3 years and then the Sunshine Girls wanted a free cake, along with this school and that school, and this function, and such.)

You offered them a fair price.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:49pm
post #33 of 36

Just wanted to give everyone an update on this situation. After much prayer and thought, I have offered to do the three cakes for $75.00 plus a $175.00 donation to the church. This will help at the end of year for tax purposes. I am trying to get my cakes out there and this will be a big help. Thank you to everyone that offered your thoughts and opinions. I'll post pics.

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 2:58am
post #34 of 36

gilson6,
I know it must be so frustrating to be asked to do a cake for little of nothing. I only make cakes for immediate family and have only sold 2 cakes so far. I am definately not in the business, it's just a hobby more or less. I personally think if they can give $25,000 for an anniversary gift then they can most definately give you your asking price for the cakes and then some. Here in Kentucky, especially in this area, you just don't go giving that much money for anniversary gifts for your pastor. That really blew me away. I just can't comprehend how they can justify that extravagant monetary gift but skimp so much on the food. Guess they think with that amount of money he can go and buy his own cake. Forgive me but I really think that is just a little over the top.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:15am
post #35 of 36

gilson6-I'm glad you have made a decision that you can live with. I know it was a difficult one for you to make. I personally think you are doing the right thing. You will get more cakes from this order because you had to think long and hard about it. Everything happens for a reason.

mookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookey Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:34am
post #36 of 36

i just wanted to insert a verse that i thought would be appropriate in this situation. ""i will not offer to the Lord my God services that have cost me nothing" samuel 24:24 i believe that you have done so much for this church, and that you are doing even more now with these cakes. i am sure that even though these people may not appriciate how much you have done and are doing, that God always knows. the church was wrong to ask you to do it for so little,but they dont know how much goes into it. but i believe that you are doing a good thing by doing it so cheap. these people will eat the cake and be done with it, and never know how hard this was for you. but the most important one will never forget it. we are tested everyday in our walk with God. the things that are right are not always the easiest. and i believe your efforts will not go unoticed.im praying for you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%