Birthday Cake Idea For A Gay Friend/coworker

Decorating By Tug Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 10:10pm by Doug

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:22am
post #1 of 19

I plan on making a three tier cake. It is for a gay friend and a coworker. He is extremely funny and comfortable with his sexual orientation. I want to make a cake that is appropriate enough to bring into work, but that has gay humor.

Any ideas?

18 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:26am
post #2 of 19

Well if you recall, the late Jerry Falwell was convinced that Tinky Winky was a Gay symbol. We at the center all had a laugh over that one. Maybe a sheet cake with a chocolate transfer of Tinky Winky, in purple of course!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:33am
post #3 of 19

I saw go with the queen theme. Maybe put a queen's tiarra on the top and maybe something to do with Its raining Men or some or all of musicals or something. Or you could put a 3 dollar bill somewhere. But I would make it really girly.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:40am
post #4 of 19

What about the old game show called "Queen for the Day".

What is the cake for? A birthday?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:44am
post #5 of 19

What about wizard of oz? Judy Garland is supposed to be a gay icon.

Stephanie

Fahina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahina Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:58am
post #6 of 19

I also hear Madonna is a gay Icon. You could do a pink tiered cake with gems and and if you do figures sculpt a female body with a pink gown like her "material girls" video and drape the tail of her dress down the front of the entire cake like a train. make the figure look like madonna except make the face very man-ish. Maybe even add some facial hair. icon_lol.gif HTH!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:06am
post #7 of 19

The rainbow is a gay pride symbol so you could incorporate rainbows into your cake.

The only gay pride cake I recall seeing on this site was one that looked like a bathroom sign except it was two women holding hands. Pretty funny!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:07am
post #8 of 19

"The gays" love Liza Minelli and Barbra Streisand. LOL!

What about rainbows? Men in drag (ala Rocky Horror Picture Show)?

I'd probably do a gay satire cake - putting every stereotypical gay thing I could think of. icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:19am
post #9 of 19

I have several friends who live what some call the "alternate lifestyle." (Just call me Hag - everyone else does! LOL!) First, even though they may be very open in their sexuality, I would not go with a queen theme without asking. Not all gay men are queens. I know a gay man who is a school teacher and football coach, and is in no way even close to drag or queen, nor approves of it. Some gays are open about their lifestyle in public, but still very sensitive about jokes in that regard.

If your friend is cool with it, I would go with the Queen for a Day theme. I also know several guys who would kill for a cake like that.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:52am
post #10 of 19

I was a theater major, so I have more than my fair share of gay friends. "Queen" can mean that most dreaded of all things to a gay man...that he is old. Your friend may be comfortable with his sexuality, but age is a WHOLE different issue.

ShirleyW Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:01am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I have several friends who live what some call the "alternate lifestyle." (Just call me Hag - everyone else does! LOL!) First, even though they may be very open in their sexuality, I would not go with a queen theme without asking. Not all gay men are queens. I know a gay man who is a school teacher and football coach, and is in no way even close to drag or queen, nor approves of it. Some gays are open about their lifestyle in public, but still very sensitive about jokes in that regard.

If your friend is cool with it, I would go with the Queen for a Day theme. I also know several guys who would kill for a cake like that.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Thank you, I so agree with you. I have friends who are very conservative and friends who are outrageous Queens. You have to know the person, know their personality and their sense of humor. A friend of mine has a refrigerator magnet of a Mary Eglebriet type Queen sitting on a throne with the saying
"Queen of **#* Everything!"

He also has another little refrigerator magnet from a soap that was made in the early 1900s by the name of Fairy Soap, it's logo was a little fairy sprinjkling soap dust with the written saying "Is their a little Fairy in your house?" It would be cute to do a chocolate transfer fairy with a crown on her head, a wand in her hand and maybe a frog at her feet. Or, if you are good at modeling you could model a little fairy.

apwagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apwagner Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #12 of 19

I think the fairy idea is good. That would be too funny.
How about doing a Village People theme? You could do them standing on each tier.
Showtunes is another stereotype you could do that would be a lot of fun. If you have ever seen the cake Duff did with the postcards of all the states the bride and groom had been to, you can do something similar to that but make it musical posters or even better, Barbara Streisand posters. If you have a supply shop in your area they can probably print off edible images there if you take them the pictures you would like to use. You could then lay them on to fondant sheets that have been dried.
I wish I was doing this cake. It sounds like so much fun!

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:24am
post #13 of 19

Would you make anyones else cake base on what they do in their sex life? I'm sure he has normal like just as we all do

Tug Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you everyone who left a positive comment and posted great ideas. After careful thought, I made this cake. I wanted something simple, sophisticated, and fun. This cake was appropriate for me to take to work and my birthday friend and all the co-workers loved it.
I call it "Queen for the day".

Tug
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 9:16pm
post #15 of 19

very nice and elegant

like the little crowns on the side!

of course you still have to tell us:

flavor(s)
filling(s)
icing type

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 9:20pm
post #16 of 19

I'm glad it was a hit! It turned out very cute. thumbs_up.gif

Tug Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

flavor(s)
filling(s)
icing type

It's the famous WASC that everyone raves about.
I made lemon curd for the filling (recipe from CarolAnn, that was to die for).
Buttercream dream icing which I like because I alter the sugar content for a less sweet taste.
The tiaras are chocolate transfers and the bow is MMF.

Thank you Doug, for the compliment.
Tug

ShirleyW Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 10:01pm
post #18 of 19

Adorable Tug, I would love to have seen his reaction when he saw the cake. I'm sure he was touched and got a giggle from it too.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 10:10pm
post #19 of 19

thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%