Chuckle: Nice=Business

Decorating By SugarplumStudio Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm by birdgirl

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 15

I recently got some feedback from a bride for a wedding cake I did a few months ago. Very positive, loved the cake, sent me some photos her and her groom cutting the cake. Of course I thanked her for her business and told her not to hesitate to call me again if there is something I can do for her, feel free to refer me, etc.

Then she said, " Do you know why I chose you for my cake?".

Me: "Because you liked my work?" Duh?! icon_smile.gif

Her: "Yes, I love your work, but that's not really why. It's because you were nice to me every time we spoke. You answered every one of my questions, even before you had any of my money. And you were nice after you got it, too. No other baker I spoke with even congratulated me on my engagement. That was the first thing you said to me the very first time we spoke on the phone."

Hmmm...I was just being polite. Nice to know that nice really does get you somewhere! Now, about those 'other' bakers.......icon_smile.gif

Just wanted to share!

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 15

What a wonderful compliment! Congrats to you!!

I've also rec'd similar remarks from brides .... that I spend so much time with them, that I take such an interest in what they want. One bride thought it was nice that I gave her a hug when she got to her reception.

A wedding is not just a party .... it's an emotional event. the fact that your bride recognized your personal and emotional involvement for her Wedding Day is say so much about you as a professional and personally!

Way to go!! thumbs_up.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:44am
post #3 of 15

Wow - that actually brought a tear to my eye! What a wonderful and heartwarming compliment!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:57am
post #4 of 15

Now that's something great to hear!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:59am
post #5 of 15

Yep it pays to be nice.
I chose Indydeb for my daughter to call because she makes me laugh like He%%..... icon_lol.gif plus she makes great food, lots of it and she is family in a winding kind of way ( she is my sister in laws sister in law)

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 2:00am
post #6 of 15

If it were possible, I would frame that conversation, and put it up on the next to the first dollar made. That is something to be proud of. Good job!!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:42am
post #7 of 15

That's so nice!! My DH and I always complain about the lack of customer service these days. It's great to hear that someone out there cares. Keep up the good work!! icon_biggrin.gif

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:58am
post #8 of 15

That was a wonderful & heartwarming compliment! Good for you.

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 4:01am
post #9 of 15

I always think about when I was arranging my wedding. I thought that EVERYONE should be excited about it, therefore felt really 'special' when people congratulated me and made a fuss.

So I can understand the bride saying all of that to you. You obviously made her feel special and that you cared. And that doesn't cost anything!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 4:10am
post #10 of 15

Congratulations to you!! It's almost scary how many people don't have the common courtesy that you showed! It seems like a simple thing, but people wanted to be treated like people, not like a number! I, too, immediately congratulate someone on their occasion, be it wedding, grad, new baby, whatever. It IS very nice to know that it matters to them, and made a difference in getting the job!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 4:21am
post #11 of 15

That's how to do it! See nice guys and gals do finish first! Very proud of you!
Amy

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 15

That is so sweet! It's always great to hear good things about yourself.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 15

It is soooo much easier to be nice. Why can't those other people see it.

Way to go Sugarplum!

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:14am
post #14 of 15

Like my Grandma always says, You catch more flies with honey... I think most brides choose a baker based on personality as much as workmanship. There are those girls that want a slightly self-important person that sells them a persona, but I think most want someone that makes them feel special and that they really care about making them happy. Someone else mentioned that there's just no customer service anymore, this is so true. To the point that it really sticks out when you treat someone right!
What a wonderful complement to you as a "Sweet" person and as a great baker!
-Lori

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #15 of 15

Some people are still nice and you are one of them! They are harder and harder to find.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%