How Long Can You Keep Fondant?

Decorating By atkin600 Updated 25 Jul 2006 , 7:55pm by bakerchick1977

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 18

How long can you safely keep fondant? I have not done a cake in several months and I was wondering if I needed to make all-new fondant or if it was safe to use what I have kept in the fridge.

17 replies
shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 18

I've wondered the same thing. I've got a BIG lump of MMF that I made a couple of weeks ago - I thought it wasn't supposed to go in the fridge???? And, while we're on this subject, what about storing buttercream? I forgot to put a big, big bowl of it into the fridge after finishing 2 cakes Friday. If it stays edible on the cake, why wouldn't it still be edible from the bowl on the counter? Thanks - PAT

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:01am
post #3 of 18

as for the fondant i don't know, but would like to. as for the butter cream.. if you used milk it needs to be refrigerated. if you used all crisco and water it's fine on the counter for up to a week.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 18

I would like to know as well! icon_smile.gif How long can you store fondant and if you have the 1/2 & 1/2 BC recipe how long can you store it in the fridge? Is it okay to freeze it? TIA everyone!! icon_smile.gif

karenm0712 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 18

*Bump*

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 18

Forever ..
really, forever.. I have Fondant Rose I made last year, they are still good.
I have fondant I made last March and I used them last week, AND they are still good, just like when I made them in March.
FOndant has no icon_smile.gif dairy, is does not go bad.

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 18

I have heard the bc can stay for weeks in the fridge. The test is the smell when you open the container. Supposidly when it isn't good anymore it will smell musty when you open it. thumbs_up.gif

lehall2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lehall2006 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 18

As far as bc is concerned, I use a 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco bc and I've found that it keeps for about 2 weeks in a tupperware in the fridge. Any longer than that, and the taste seems to go a bit "off."

prettycake Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 18

Not with Fondant though..that's why it does not need refrigeration even for a year..

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks, I've been wondering that also. What about the non-MM fondant that shouldn't be refridgerated right? So, how long does that last?

karenm0712 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif I am getting ready to put the kiddos down for a nap and make some MMF!! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 18

I don't know about the MMF but with Wilton fondant and gumpaste you can freeze them for later use. Roll it in a ball, and cover with a thinish coating of crisco, wrap really well and then put in the freezer. When you want to use it, let it thaw in the fridge the day before.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 18

So let me see if I've got this right...MMF does need to be refrigerated, but Wilton fondant doesn't? If I kept the MMF wrapped in saran wrap and left it on the counter for a week, is it bad then?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:26pm
post #14 of 18

I'm so confused, there are so many answers, anyone care to clarify

refrigeration or NOT & for how long is it good for

wilton's fondant---
MMF---
any other fondants---

buttercream with butter &/or milk---refrigeration up to 2 weeks
buttercream with crisco/water-------refrigeration up to 2 weeks ????

thanks so much

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 18

I have some Wilton Fondant and discovered I Hate Fondant too. I vacuum sealed it with food saver and froze it. It will be good to use for practice and for shooting spit ball. Just me, I think it's gross! In The Cake Bible Rose Birenbaum gives specifac instructions for buttercream and how long and how you should store them. I save everything and freeze everything and then make notes how it holds up. If it gets a little off it's used for practice.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:34pm
post #16 of 18

I have some Wilton Fondant and discovered I Hate Fondant too. I vacuum sealed it with food saver and froze it. It will be good to use for practice and for shooting spit ball. Just me, I think it's gross! In The Cake Bible Rose Birenbaum gives specifac instructions for buttercream and how long and how you should store them. I save everything and freeze everything and then make notes how it holds up. If it gets a little off it's used for practice.

prettycake Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:36pm
post #17 of 18

Any type of Fondant does NOT need refrigeration (if it's FOndant alone).
Whether it's MMF or not, refrigeration is not needed...
If it's on the cake as icing, then it's the cake that needs refrigeration.
But some cakes iced w/ Fondant can be at temp for two days..but then again it all depends on the filling of the cake
. icon_smile.gif

bakerchick1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick1977 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 18

I dont refridgerate my fondant and I use all crisco butter cream icing unless I am making FBCT. With the all Crisco BC I find it is ok for about 10 days then it begins to have an alcohol like smell ( the sugar is fermenting ), with the 1/2&1/2 BC I think it is ok for a day on the counter but it needs to be refriderated, because there is dairy in it! I am not sure if the sugar in the fondant will ferment, I do know that if you refridgerate or freeze anything with sugar in it that it delays the fermentation process. So my suggestion is if you make large amouts of fondant that you dont use right away , refridgerate it or freeze it. Just make sure it is room temp before you handle it next time. In my opinion, the fresher the better but dont waste either, cause money dont grow on trees! Hopes this helps some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%