Make A Graduation Cap & Diploma

Decorating By Kimmiekinkins Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 6:54pm by kayscake

Kimmiekinkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmiekinkins Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am looking at making a small graduation cap & diploma on top of a sheet cake I am making....any suggestions how to do this?

4 replies
Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 5

In my pictures you will see a gradution cake on a tooth... I did this by simply using a small roun fruit can ,tuna, that shape size can cleaned real well then cut card board for the top.. Then decorated it with icing ,, Everyone was in wow that you could do that with icing then I spilled the beans on what I used.. They were like still you couldn't tell..... so hope that helps

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 5

In my pics I have one. The grad hat top is just a thin piece of card board and the base of the cap is a paper towel roll cut to size and then they are both covered in fondant. The diploma is just rice paper rolled (a little bit of BC was used to "glue" the seam down) and it was dusted with gold luster dust.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 5

Years ago I made one with candy melts for the mortar board. I just poured melted candy melts on waxed paper and let it harden, Then I cut a square out of it ... carefully, so as not to crack it. I think I put it on to of a cupcake that was cut down, I don't remember. It did it in 1985. I think the diploma was also a piece of cake covered in buttercream.

http://members23.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/members/compact_slide_show.pl?album_item_id=57804001

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 5

I have made several caps and diplomas using candy melts and candy molding clay. For the cap I draw a sqaure the size of the cap I want then cover it with wax paper then just fill in with melted colored candy melts when it hardens i peel it off wax paper and filp it over to have a nice smooth side up,for the base i use a styrafoam salad bow (there's 2 sizes) or a disposible throw away cup, fill it with candy and then drain to make a shell when it hardens i peel away the bowl or cup. I attach the two peices with a little more melted candy, after I place it on the cake I use tip 233 grass tip to make a tossle out of buttercream. For the diploma I simply make a batch of molders candy, roll it out cut a rectangle then gentle roll it up and tie it with a ribbon. I have posted a couple pics with these on them people love them because there yummy etible .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%