Square Wedding Cake Question???

Decorating By asul Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 1:40am by asul

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everybody icon_biggrin.gif ! I have a wedding cake due for the end of July and it's going to be the first square cake I do covered in fondant . It's also going to be stacked on really tall pillars(plastic) . I have 3 questions icon_redface.gif

1. About how many batches would I need for a 16x16x2 pan?
2. How do you doswel a square cake?
3. Will the pillars hold the weight? (sizes of pans will be 8,12,16)
Thanks in advance everyone icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 6

Don't have any answers for you, noticed your post heading to the bottom, so gonna get it back up top=) Jen

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:32am
post #3 of 6

a 16x16 square will need 15 1/2 cups of batter for each layer, according to CC's chart.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

if you use a cake mix, each mix will yield between 4-5 cups. so i would guess about 3 mixes per layer. if you scratch bake, you'll have to figure out how many cups each of your recipes yield.

i don't know about the pillars, but dowelling should be the same for square as it is for rounds.

HTH

asul Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Newbeebaker and becca kelly your advice greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:34am
post #5 of 6

I am iffy on the pillars. I've seen some fall. Depends on brand I guess. I would use wood or metal and cover then in plastic for look just to be safe. As for doweling the cakes just do as normal. Now covering a fondant square cake can be trouble hahah. I've tried both ways of 1. measuring and cutting each piece separately and two just normal throw over top and smooth. Cutting is hard to get exact and normal i often have corners tear as I don't like fondant to be thick. Let me know how it goes!

asul Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:40am
post #6 of 6

Thanks jastaus icon_smile.gif I'll be doing a practice cake next week and I'll keep you guys posted icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%