Royal Icing Has Dried And Now Little Spots Are Appearing!!!!

Decorating By SarahsSweets2006 Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 5:01pm by USMC_SGTs_Lady

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 9

It's a little too late to do anything now because these graduation cookies are due tomorrow but I iced them in Royal Icing and let them dry over night, then when I put them in a container to get them ready to go, now little light spots/dots are appearing on my royal blue graduation caps. They don't look horribly bad but still, they looked better WITHOUT THEM. Has this happened to anyone? If so, how do you prevent this in the future??? Thanks.

8 replies
emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 9

i've had that happen in my BC before and it was due to the salt. i' didn't know it happened to RI. sorry i can't be of any help. i'm sure SOMEONE on here knows something though! this is great place to go for help!

SarahsSweets2006 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 9

The only thing I can think of is that it is VERY humid out today... 90 degrees. I don't know if there is a lot of moisture in the cookies/icing still, and that is causing the spotting? When they were drying out in the open, there were no spots. They seem to have appeared after putting them in an enclosed plastic container. So I opened the lid hoping that maybe the spots will clear up. This is my first cookie order and I am just worried that the customer will not be happy... especially since I am charging $50 for the 7 Dozen cookies. Someone PLEASE HELP! icon_redface.gif

SarahsSweets2006 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 9

Here is a photo to better illustrate my problem. Oh yeah, and as an added bonus, a bunch of the tassels on the caps are BREAKING OFF! YAY!
LL

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 9

Normally that would be due to salt and the spots would be pretty white. But I don't put salt in my royal icing. However, I have had problems with spots when I didn't sift the meriginue powder or powdered sugar and so it didn't blend thoroughly.

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 9

Hi SarahsSweets,
I recently had a similar problem----not the exact thing that happened to your cookies, but maybe my solution would work anyway.( My thread is in here somewhere.) Greasy spots were appearing the next day ( after drying overnight) on the blue parts only of my cookies ( hmmmm--blue is looking troublesome here again) I also had a next day due date and had to dump 75 cookies!!!!-- and start over late into the night. But I digress-----I added a little corn syrup to my royal and when these dried overnight, they were PERFECT.
Wish I could heip with those broken tassels!!!!!

SarahsSweets2006 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 9

You know what? I still left the cookies the way they were... The customer gave me two trays she wanted the cookies on and (eh-hem) the "broken tassel cookies" ended up on the bottom of the tray and the nice un-broken ones were on top. -Funny how that worked out that way. Anyways, they didn't say anything about the spots. I don't think they even noticed them. They absolutely loved them. So I am happy.

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 9

that is soooo great I am glad that worked out for you

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 9

did you sift your powdered sugar and meringue powder?...that may be the cause of it....otherwise not sure what could have happened...hmmmm...
well at least the customer didn't complain....good job though

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%