How To You Get Black Icing To Look Black?

Decorating By Marian Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 1:08am by have2kids

Marian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 14

I know this may sound dumb to most of you, but I'm new at this cake stuff. I used wiltons icing color to turn my white icing black. After several hours it still looks kind of dark blue. I added more, but I'm afraid of adding to much. Will it eventually turn black? How far in advance should you tint icing to achive the correct color?

13 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 14

Going from white to black can be really difficult and even if you do, you may end up with a bitter taste when using the Wilton black. If you start by adding cocoa powder to make chocolate, you can get to black easier. If you don't want the black to taste like chocolate, you can just tint it brown. You also might want to try using AmeriColor's Super Black. No aftertaste and you'll use less of it. I was able to get to black straightaway but you can usually stop adding color when the icing is a charcoal grey. Let it set overnight and it should be black by morning.

CDhartman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CDhartman Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 14

The easiest way to make black icing is to start with chocolate icing. You won't need to add much black coloring to it. I usually don't use much black icing at a time so I buy pre-made chocolate frosting from the grocery store and color it with black coloring. As a side note, its also easier to get red icing if you start with a pink icing first so I usually tint buttercream icing with pink first and then add the red coloring.

Hope that helps.

Cindy

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 2 Jun 2005 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 14

huh! I'd never thought of that with the pink icing! I'm glad you asked the question! You learn something new everyday!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:04am
post #5 of 14

How do you get black icing if you don't have the option of starting with chocolate (person is allergic and wans a spiderman cake)?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:09am
post #6 of 14

Ok ... I do mine the real easy way. icon_rolleyes.gif My cake supply store has small containers of black icing that I buy. She usually has lots of it available in May (Indy 500 season!). Since I don't use much, I just pick up one of these.

saberger Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #7 of 14

I'll check that. He has so many allergies that I am just sooo nervous about making this cake!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #8 of 14

What about trying to color it brown first and then adding your black?

colls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colls Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:20am
post #9 of 14

i was having the same problem getting my fondant black even using brown first didn't work so good and Yesterday I had some dark green fondant that I put some black color in it and it worked so good it is really black without using so much.

jendalain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendalain Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:22am
post #10 of 14

I usually make chocolate icing and color it black. Or, I'll make brown and go to black.

I do make my icing a few days in advance, to allow the color to really take shape. It makes all of the difference, in my opinion.

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:22am
post #11 of 14

Another thing to do is say you have leftover icing of all colors (you could even try mixing small amounts of different colors if no leftover) then mix them together and add a small amount of black. After all, white is the absence of color and black is the opposite (it's all colors..she said in her most un-scientific voice LoL!) Try it tho..it will work for you.

saberger Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks for the advice. I checked the store version of black icing and it has vegetable oil (which includes soybean) and he is allergic to that as well. Told you this was going to be hard! I will try mixing a bunch of colors and see how that works.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 14

I echo the above post, Americolor every time.

have2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have2kids Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 1:08am
post #14 of 14

I never thought to use brown (or pink) first! Such a great place to learn! I've always just added alot of black color and let it sit over night....

just a personal side note.... be ready for a black tongue! But, after reading everyone else's posts... its' probably because I use so much color and don't use brown first. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%