Does Anyone Here Do Kolaches???

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 27 Dec 2013 , 4:45am by Sassyzan

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 23

I am trying to expand my product line in my bakery and have heard that these are just wonderful and are so popular in my area. I have ordered a kolache mix from my supplier (which I have heard is wonderful) so now my question is - what and how do i put in the centers? anyone have some pointers for me? thanks in advance ya'll are GREAT!!

22 replies
breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 23

Traditionally apricot or prune, but as far as I'm concerned, that blank canvas is an excuse to go wild! (I'm having visions of blue cheese and pear, brie and apples...)

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 23

do I just put raw fruits and stuff in there? and I have heard about a cream cheese stuff in there how do I prepare that?

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 23

What is a kolache? Never heard of them till littlecake said she was going to make them.

Sandralee903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandralee903 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 23

I thought kolache was traditionally walnut or poppyseed fillings. Kieflie (sp?) (crescent shaped cookies) is apricot or prune and ground walnuts too. I know my sister has a traditional Hungarian walnut kolache recipe...I could ask her for it if you're interested.

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 23

Czech pastry, filled with essentially anything you can imagine, but most usually fruit or cheese. There's a similar recipe with meat filling, but I can't remember the name of it - veeeery similar to kolache, but I can't call it at the moment.

The fruit filling is more a compote of dried fruit. I'm sure you could also use jelly or jam, etc. Just google "kolache recipe" or "kolache filling" and see what pops up - I did that search and got a lot of good links.

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 23

thanks I will try that. just curious if anyone here has a fav. filling that i should try

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandralee903

I thought kolache was traditionally walnut or poppyseed fillings. Kieflie (sp?) (crescent shaped cookies) is apricot or prune and ground walnuts too. I know my sister has a traditional Hungarian walnut kolache recipe...I could ask her for it if you're interested.

That's what I've always heard too, I don't know that I've had walnuts in them though, just the poppyseeds. I haven't had any in years though, I've been meaning to make some for my kids.

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 23

I'm from Iowa where kolaches are very popular. (And I have to admit the idea of a kolache mix is a little shocking, around here the dough is always from scratch.)
I should also admit that my kolaches always seem to come out a little taller than others I've had (though everyone says they taste good), so hopefully others will add to this.
1) If you're making your own fillings, prepare them ahead of time so they have time to cool. I usually use the premade fillings that you can get in the plastic tube things (Places like Hy-Vee use them for doughnut fillings). (I tried making cherry with cherry pie filling once, but the filling wasnt' heavy enough to weigh the dough down and the middle rose up and pushed the filling out over the edges.)
2) Prepare the dough.
3) Roll dough into balls a little smaller than a ping pong (though you can make them as big or small as you'd like). Place balls on greased cookie sheet spacing like you would cookies. Brush lightly with melted butter or margarine.
4) Place in a warm place to rise.
5) When they've about doubled in size, gently mash them flat, then mash down a pool in the middle, leaving about 1/2 an inch around the edge. Brush melted butter/margarine around the raised edge.
6) Add filling into the pool in the middle of each.
7) Bake.

Play around with this and have fun!

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 23

Pretty much any flavor goes. Fruit ones are usually the most popular (cherry, apple, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry) My mother loves prune ones, I have an aunt that loves poppy seed ones, and apricot is one of my favorites. I think that apple is by far the best though. thumbs_up.gif

Forgot to add that the heavier fillings work better. As I said in my instructions in the previous post, a regular cherry pie filling wasn't heavy enough to weigh down the dough and it pushed the filling out.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 23

We lived in Cedar Rapids Iowa for a while and every spring they would have Kolache days YUM right around the time the morel mushrooms

never made them but loved to eat them

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 23

Yum..these sound good!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 23

Here in Texas Kolaches are always sausage or sausage and cheese.

And they taste terrific!

Stephanie

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 23

The kolaches I grew up with are like what BlueRoseCakes mentioned. My grandmother always made them with a sweet dough and cherry pie filling, and then put a simple powdered sugar glaze on them after they baked. These were more like maybe a fluffy breakfast danish or a sweet roll. I've heard other people refer to a type of cookie filled with a nut filling as a kaloche. I think it depends on where you are from and what part of Germany/Europe that the towns people descended from.
I also grew up with beirocks!! Yum! A slightly sweet bread dough stuffed with ground beef, cabbage and onion! Oh how I miss my Granny...

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 23

has anyone ever had one with the cream cheese filling? I have only ever had one in my life and it had a cream cheese filling in it. I am just curious as to how do I make the cream cheese filling? surely it is not just cream cheese slapped into the middle, is there something else to it? also how long do these stay, like how long can I keep them on my shelves before going bad and do they need to be refrigerated? thanks for all the info

Sandralee903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandralee903 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:25pm
post #16 of 23

I just Googled kolache and found a picture. The one shown in Wikepedia (which is probably what you're talking about) and the Hungarian ones are worlds apart. Same name but very different pastry.

Good luck with your fillings - I'm sure whatever you end up using will be delicious!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:27pm
post #17 of 23

Oh my ....

Memories of my childhood and our friends the Kalases just came flooding back.

their fillings were always fruits and more fruits -- they used jams and such.

---------
and morel mushrooms! ! ! ! --- oh how i miss those.

----

now cut this out! -- you've all got me "youth"sick -- somebody turn back the hands of time!

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:48pm
post #18 of 23

thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input. if anyone has a suggestion about the cream cheese filling and how these should be store, please share.

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:18pm
post #19 of 23

Hey tdybear, go to www.recipezaar.com and type kaloches in the search space. There are a dozen or so recipes of different versions. If I remember right there was at least one with a cream cheese filling. Not sure how you would do the cream cheese filling off the top of my head, but you would for sure add sugar, a little vanilla, and possibly even an egg?!!

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #20 of 23

thank you so much

gsuep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gsuep Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 11:28pm
post #21 of 23

I just made 12 dozen for the holidays.  Why send for a mix?  Very easy to make. for a small batch which makes 24 cookies, use 1 8oz. cream cheese, 2 sticks butter, 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla.

Mix all except flour until smooth, slowly add flour.  Use confectioners sugar to dust a rolling surface; knead for 1-2 minutes only.  Now use the sugar instead of flour if dough becomes sticky or you can refrigerate for 1 hour. Roll out to 1/8" thick.  continuing to use confectioners sugar if needed. Cut into 3" squares. Place 1 tsp. filling in center.  Bring opposite corners toward center and slightly overlap. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until golden on bottom.  Sprinkle liberally with confectioners sugar.

Fillings can be apricot, strawberry, raspberry, or cherry preserves.  Apricot is our favorite.  You can also use almond paste or a combination of pecans/brown sugar/butter/cinnamon.  Good wishes to you with your bakery. This will be a great addition to your menu.

I moved from Chicago where these were easily available and my mother in law made them.  She has passed away, so my family still can enjoy these and remember her at the same time.

I now live in Kentucky and no one here has even heard of them.:)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Dec 2013 , 11:32pm
post #22 of 23

gsuep:   These are so wonderful.......Haven't had them in years....they bring up good memories.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 4:45am
post #23 of 23

AThought they sounded familiar...then I remembered where I heard it recently... http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-12-18/go-figure-czech-snack-ends-new-york-way-west-texas

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%