Character Cake Dilemma

Decorating By mommymarilyn Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 12:14am by mmdd

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:06am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked by a friend of my parents to do a cake for a little boys 2nd birthday. I haven't actually agreed to do it yet. He purchased the new Superman pan, and the wilton icing colors. Today he told my mom that he wants THREE of these cakes for the party!! First of all, it's been a LOOOOONG time since I've done a character cake. 2nd of all, I am going out of town for 10 days, and I already have a graduation cake that is due 3 days after I get back home. And these THREE cakes will be due 3 days after that. Like so many other CCer's, I have a full-time job and love to do 1 or 2 cakes a week as a hobby. IF I agree to do these cakes, my next dilemma is pricing. I have NO idea what to charge for a character cake, much less THREE of them, and at the very least feel like I should maybe offer some sort of discount as he is furnishing the pan and the icing colors. What do you guys think?!?

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:13am
post #2 of 6

$75 total

(the colors are the LEAST expensive part! and whoop-do on the pan, not that big of a savings -- if anything a straightjacket)

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:17am
post #3 of 6

Can I ask...why 3? Is it a question of servings? Decorating character cakes can be really time consuming. If it's just a matter of servings, maybe you could offer to do one cake that was three layers high? Or even better, one on top of a sheet cake? Otherwise...baking 3 with only one pan and all those stars and did they give you enough icing color to do 3? I'd charge at least $30 each.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:29am
post #4 of 6

I charge between $25 - $30 for a character cake. I'd say $75, and tell them that's because they are furnishing the pan.........

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the pricing tips - I was just worried that I might be charging too much - I quoted $25 each, which seems to be in line with what you all think. I know - 3 cakes - I asked why too. It seems that this person wants to have 1 cake for the party, and wants to "present" the other 2 as some sort of door prize or something - I am not at all sure what the deal is with this situation! You just never know what people are going to come up with! Thanks again - I'm still mulling over whether I want to attempt (or bother with?) this.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 12:14am
post #6 of 6

Well, I was thinking maybe you should tell them an outrageously high price, then they would try to find someone else; but.....then I read you already quoted $25 per cake.

So...hmmm....I don't think character cakes are difficult at all, just a little time consuming. If all else fails, you can make the cakes EARLY and freeze them. You could also make all of your icing ahead of time. BC keeps for a while if kept airtight.

Good Luck to you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%