Semi-Homemade W/sandra Lee

Decorating By jennianne Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 4:09pm by debbie2881

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:22am
post #61 of 82

Yeah Paula Deen is my fav. Sandra Lee is ok when she does her kid shows..There are some good ideas I can do with my nieces and stepkids. I will say she does drink alot....

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:24am
post #62 of 82

I watched the show once and stopped because I did not like it. But on a funny "pre-prepared food story", For years when my parents and inlaws came to dinner. I knocked my self out cooking for days. Last Easter I was too exhausted to bother. I warmed up a pre cooked spiral ham, boxed mashed potatoes dressed up a little and frozen green beans in the microwave. Very Sandra!! When my Mother sent a thank you note, she commented on how lovely the meal was and how my cooking has improved over the years!!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:26am
post #63 of 82

I find the way she talks, to be very annoying. I don't know how to describe it. It's not really the sound of her voice as much as it is the way she says things, I think it's the inflections in her voice. If I can get past listening to her talk, some of her decorating tips are creative.

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:37am
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Quote:

When my Mother sent a thank you note, she commented on how lovely the meal was and how my cooking has improved over the years!!! LOL

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Mother's....gotta love them.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:43am
post #65 of 82

I will admit that I have only watched parts of her shows. I watched a weeks worth, and then just switched to catching a few minutes here and there.

Does she use shortcuts relentlessly? YES
Is that the whole point of the show? YES

So, while I don't particularly think all of her ideas are so great, I can see that she does at least inspire people to try and cook at home. It can be the start of a great passion and love for cooking. We don't always have time for slow roasted stew from scratch. Sometimes a shorcut works out great.

None of you buy microwaved meals?
Canned veggies?

What about making cakes from a box? Is that a shortcut?

She's not so bad. A little too color coordninated, maybe, but the concept of not being a food snob is a good one. They should maybe trial out some of her projects first, though. icon_smile.gif

Angie

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:43am
post #66 of 82

I LOVE Paula Deen! I think Sandra has too much alcohol on her show. That is my gripe with her. I understand the value of scratch cooking. Cut a break. I am a mom of three girls 13,8,7 plus I'm a full-time student, over the girls program at church, teach 3 & 4 yr.olds. During all of this trying to go back to work. So, sometimes semi-homemade would be wonderful for my family. On nights when I have tons of homework, my husband cooks; or goes for pizza. My DH gets told to "take a number" when he has an issue. icon_redface.gif
I have a sister who would benefit from watching this show; can't cook at all. My great-grandma taught me. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:45am
post #67 of 82

I must say i don't understand people thinking she drinks a lot. She does a show once a week(they show it everyday, I know, but I am sure they have been taped over a few years.) the premise is that it is for entertaining friends and famiily, thus having a cocktail at your party. I don't find that so odd. It isn't as if she has a drink in her hand through the whole show. I don't drink so it doesn't appeal to me, but I don't find that part of the show odd. Every show of Emeril I have seen has a cocktail in it as well. Lots of people have a drink served when having a dinner party and such. Even Paula has drinks on her show (not every show), I don't know anyone who doesn't love Paula though, so no one picks on her about it. If someone bugs you I think it is just too easy to find everything they do annoying. It is that darn human nature thing popping out! =0)

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:22am
post #68 of 82

OK girls lets be nice. I am a stay at home mom with two kids (girl 11 & boy icon_cool.gif, so I have the TIME ( or so my sisters think) to make a lot of things from scratch. On the other hand my older sis (she calls herself an instant-box mom) works like a million hours a week and once mentioned to me about this lady that makes things and uses shortcuts. Well, she was hooked. My younger sis, well, she can burn boiled water. So to her Sandra Lee would be like God in the kitchen. lololol. So what it boils down to is (Spanish saying very loosely translated) "God made different colors for different taste."

I personally think that she is full of S@%T. But I also look that these people are "characters". It can be "reality" tv all it wants to be, but in reality there is 20 million people planning there whole day with, what to wear (if sex sells they will show it - even on a cooking show), what to say and what to cook. If we were offered the amount of money she makes and the money it takes to put on one of these show and be a success we would be the first in line. I am sure that she doesn't come up with half of the recipes that she does, hence the way it is done on tv isn't the same as on the web site. As for the other "characters" on the channel, well they are pretty much the same. As much as we might love/like some more than others they are all controlled buy the same powers that be, tv directors, producers, writers. It is funny because I actually LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the food network. I have it on all the time. My dh tells me how many ways can they cook the same thing. But we learn from other, there knowledge and there mistakes. Would I use canned icing from the supermarket on a wedding cake regardless if I add Flavoring or not. NO!!!!! But would I let my kids play with it while I am working on a real cake. Yeah!!!!! They love the stuff. Now the idea of the cookies and the grapes were great. I think that I would have made the cookies from scratch, but in a pinch or something that I would send to my kids school for class Yeah I think that I would use store brought.

I think that there are people on this channel that have more knowledge of the kitchen than others. Can ya'll imagine Sandra and Giada in the same kitchen and really cooking with Alton Brown and Paula Dean. Oh my God would that be a sight to see, it is toooooo funny in my head. As for Emril, well I think that he is just a lot of FLUFF!!! He can make a scrambled egg into a two hour show and still only make scrambled eggs. So I don't watch him much he Bams!! too much and it gives me a head ache. But that is the key, if there is something we don't like just turn off the tv or change the channel.

( a Forest Gump moment) My momma told me, if you ain't got nothing nice to say, than don't say nothing at ALL!!!
I only say this because if one day one of us here were to have a tv show were we would teach our craft, I am sure that we would get more criticism more than support. As much support as we get here we can't get anywhere, but let one of us do a show and see how much we get.

Sorry so long, just had a lot to say on this one. Don't think that I like Mrs. Licky fingers or Mrs. Booble Head, I just don't see it fair them getting shi#ed on and not the people that create and run the shows.

Vic

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:16am
post #69 of 82

I have watched Sandra once with my son. It was a halloween one. My son was like..she is gonna catch her sleeve on fire.........lol. I missed the alcohol part. I think that is the part that would interest me. I wish I could get paid to drink and look pretty......lol.
My favorite is also Paula and her boys. I too would have a restraining order against me if she lived next door. I like Rachel because she seems real and looks like she actually eats what she makes. I like some of Giada's recipes but can't afford to make too many of them. I have to be faithful to Emeril because he was the cook who popped my cooking cherry. He is the first one I remember ever watching. I like the show where he cooks for the audiance(sp) and they get to try it.
I really liked the show where the couple got their wedding catered. I would have totally cried just like the girl if I got to meet everyone.
My most favorite place where I have learned the most is right here!!!!!!!!

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:41am
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaL_77

we should count how many times in a show she says "just like that" , "a quick stir", and "its SO easy" lol

don't forget, "so what your gonna do is" or "your gonna come over here and"

drives me nuts!!!

Also, have you ever checked her recipes on the Food Network website? Alot of them haven't gotten very good reviews. Almost everyone that I have looked up the reviews on was bad.

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 10:32am
post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones17

I have to be faithful to Emeril because he was the cook who popped my cooking cherry. !!!

Bawawawaw!!! Too funny!!! I'm actually from Fall River, like Emeril. So I have to be faithful there...just for the hometown connection. We even went to the same vocational high school for culinary arts, but he graduated YEARS ahead of me. I love when he talks about the old teachers, especially the retired baking teacher Cy Amarillo...memories! Besides, last I heard Mr. Amarillo was very ill, so I'm sure hearing Emeril talk about him and using some of the techniques he taught us must make him feel wonderful.

As for the rest...Sandra Lee drives me crazy for reasons I already stated.
Giada, I like...yes she's beautiful and thin, but she can cook and is classically trained. And I love how she uses her real family in the show. You can tell they're related they all look alike.
Paula Deen ROCKS!!! Why doesn't it bother me when she licks her fingers???
Rachel Ray is great too, but please stop with the abbreviations for everything. Because everyone thought it was cute that you called sandwiches "Sammy's" when you were little, does not mean it's cute now. It's just annoying.

Wow, I guess I had a lot to say! icon_lol.gif

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 10:48am
post #72 of 82

The main thing that bugged me about Sandra Lee (one of many LOL) was the show when she had her niece on. She kept referring to herself as "Aunt Sandy"! Even when she was talking to her niece. She just kept referring to herself in the third person!!

Lazy_Susan

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 2:40pm
post #73 of 82

I cant believe how long this thread is getting.

Schmoop "my fair brady" is a show where christopher knight (peter brady) is getting married to adrian curry (American next top model winner). I actually missed the wedding part because i switched over to the cake competition which was great BTW.

I told my hubby about this thread and he said "who the girl you was watching today with the cakes" i said yes and he said "her show is supposed to be for those who dont know how to cook and want to entertain friends easily". He's right and her drinking is not bad, barefoot contessa drinks alot on her show and no one is bad mouthing her. I like her btw. maybe sandra does know how to cook but semi homemade is not to show her cooking abilities. its a show to show that its easy to entertain, it should have been called semi homemade easy entertaining. She does her tablescapes for entertaining purposes. Honestly how many of you can do a tablescape like hers?? I honestly cant on my own. She gives ideas and tips and she's good at it. I'm not her biggest fan but lets look at her show for what it is easy entertaining with simple foods. Its a good way so you're not beat by the end of the day and you actually have time and energy to spend with your guests. As long as it tastes good thats all that matters and all that people care about. If her food is nasty thats a different thing. Lets bash her if her food is nasty.

edited to say my hubby likes canned frosting (horrible to say but true).

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 2:52pm
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie2881

edited to say my hubby likes canned frosting (horrible to say but true).

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 2:58pm
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Quote:

barefoot contessa drinks alot on her show and no one is bad mouthing her

Ina Garten does not make a cocktail on every show, nor does she sing "Cocktaaaaaail Time!" as if she's been waiting the entire show to be able to drink. And Ina Garten can really cook.

Quote:
Quote:

I like her btw. maybe sandra does know how to cook but semi homemade is not to show her cooking abilities. its a show to show that its easy to entertain

It is on the Food Network.

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly how many of you can do a tablescape like hers?? I honestly cant on my own.

With a practically unlimited budget like she has, I could, and I bet you could, too. Her tablescapes pretty much boil down to "look at all the cr*p I bought!"

Quote:
Quote:

lets look at her show for what it is easy entertaining with simple foods.

I really don't consider her foods simple. And if you want easy entertaining, why not at least get takeout? When I entertain, the food I serve is more important than the dishes I serve it on.

Quote:
Quote:

As long as it tastes good thats all that matters and all that people care about.

Does it taste good?

Quote:
Quote:

If her food is nasty thats a different thing. Lets bash her if her food is nasty.

Ok, I will. I cannot stand this woman or her show, although I watch it for pure amusement. Her "recipes" are salty, chemical-laden, fatty, and generally more complicated than making something from scratch. She's perpetrating a fraud on people who are scared to cook...that what she does is better and easier than actual cooking.

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:05pm
post #76 of 82

I agree with some of the things I've read on here, but I have taken a few pieces of advice from Sandra Lee... For example- the wax paper strip idea has saved my hyde on several occasions. And I like how she re-decorates for every occasion/event, even though it's extremely unpractical.
What bothers me about her is, yes, the scantly clad outfits and cleavage. But, it also bothers me that she makes a cocktail EVERY TIME SHE COOKS!!!!! My mom said that that's a California thing... And I'm not against cocktails, in moderation, but DANG- EVERY TIME?!? It kinda gets annoying!!!
Also, Giada DeLarentis (butchered the spelling on that one) CAN BE SOOO ANNOYING!!!!! CAN SHE OVER PRONOUNCE ANYTHING ELSE? Just watching her talk make me wanna barf.
Thanks for letting me vent!

debbie2881 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:15pm
post #77 of 82

Ina Garten does not make a cocktail on every show, nor does she sing "Cocktaaaaaail Time!"

that is funny, no she does not sing it but ina does not have sandra's personality.

Kelleym you obviously dont like her and nothing i say will sound right because its already how you feel. I'm not here to change your mind about her its just that i dont think she deserves this bashing. Go on hating her, i was just giving my opinion.

I dont know if her food tastes good because i've never tried any of her stuff, just not my style. There has to be people out there that like her and her food or she wouldnt be on TV still.

Is there anyone out there that has tried her food?? If so how was it?

Kelleym if you are a good cook then thats great but all i'm saying is that this show is great for people that dont know how to cook and want an easy way to entertain their friends. am i wrong??

did the lobster wrap she made on the wedding cake show that bad looking? it didnt look fatty and chemical-laden to me. And if you think its salty then thats something you are doing wrong not her.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:35pm
post #78 of 82

I agree with you, debbie2881. Her show is more about entertaining and easy recipes. Who cares if she makes cocktails? When I have parties, I like fun drinks. I think all of the hostility has a lot more to do with the person than the food. If a man was doing the show, nobody would be ready to come to blows over it. Or if this was an ugly woman...same thing. Right? icon_razz.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:48pm
post #79 of 82

My opinions about her show and her food have absolutely nothing to do with her appearance.

There's not a lot "semi-homemade" about the lobster wraps except for the dressing, which I've never heard of. I do wonder how one little blanched chive can hold together a tortilla cone.

I won't try to change anyone's mind, either. We just disagree, and it's great that we can do that here icon_smile.gif

Some of her recipes have been tested by the brave souls here:
Sandra's Test Kitchen

beez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beez Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:49pm
post #80 of 82

I can't believe y'all were having a Sandra bashing and didn't invite me. icon_biggrin.gif

My biggest pet peeve is when she claims that she is doing things "just like my grandmother use to". You know good and well her grandmother wasn't cooking and decorating like that. If her grandmother was having all those tea parties and doing tablescapes all the time.... I would be VERY surprised. I think they both need to get a life... a real one.

Speaking of the kids' parties... have you seen the one for her niece, but the niece isn't even on the show? How tacky! I wonder how that niece will feel that "Aunt Sandy" is cashing in on her at the bank?

Now, Paula is amazing and I plan to go to her restaurant SOON! thumbs_up.gif

debbie2881 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:00pm
post #81 of 82

Kelleym he lobster was store bought already cleaned but most of us do that with sea food anyway. The wrap didnt have much semi homemade to it huh. I dont know how the chive held the tortilla together either. it is great to have a conversation where we disagreen and no one is getting steamed. i'll check out that link.

beez you are funny, the thread is 6 pages long, about time you saw it. Let us know how paulas restaurant is. she's so cute

debbie2881 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:09pm
post #82 of 82

kelleym they are brutal. "SLop" Very entertaining.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%