Amount Of Hi Ratio Shortening In A Crusting Buttercream...

Baking By loriemoms Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 12:48am by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 11

I have a terrific recipe for very stable buttercream for the summer months, which uses all hi ratio shortening...but it does not crust. I have a large wedding cake to do, that will sit out in a room (A/c of course) for a number of hours, and i would like to try using a crusting buttercream on it to keep it smooth looking. I tried using the hi ratio in the crusting buttercream recipe here, but it was tasteless, and it seemed like there was too much shortening in it. I don't think you need to use as much hi ratio shortening as you would use crisco....

SO does anyone have a recipe for crusting buttercream that does not use any butter and uses hi ratio shortening and will sit out in a room for a number of hours without needing refrigeration?

Thanks!

10 replies
puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 11

I used the recipe from CakemanOH and it crusts just fine. I let it sit for a few minutes and then use the VIVA towel method. The only things I did differently with his recipe was i didn't use the white icing base and I used 10x sugar. Here it is:

1 Cup Hi Ratio Shortening
4 TBL White Icing Base
7 cups 6x Powder Sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp or to taste what ever flavor you want. You can use extracts or louann flavored oils but use less of the oil flavoring because it is strong. I use my own flavoring mixture that gives me a unique great tasting icing.
(try using 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp butter, 1/4 tsp almond)
2 drops vinegar- This keeps any icing from cracking or stress lines.

You can also add 1 stick of softened butter (I use white butter) to this recipe for buttercream or an 8 oz of cream cheese for a cream cheese icing that crusts. This icing will hold better than crisco in heat and takes less shortening to make because hi ratio does not break down like crisco. You use 1/3 less alpine per cup of crisco for your recipes. Taste wise this is not gritty nor shortening tasting at all. The shelf life is very long and does not need to be refridgerated. Just re-whip before use if it has sat for a few days and it is ready to go. It is important that you use 6 x Sugar. This is a commercial grade and really makes a difference in your icing texture and consistency.

Forgot to add if you want a little less sweet icing I add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine salt to the recipe.

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:54am
post #3 of 11

Currently I am using about 2 cups for 2 lbs of sugar...so you are only using 1 cup for a little less then 2 lbs? (8 cups is usually 2 lbs of 10x). And I use heavy cream (1/3 cup) How does it taste made with water? how is this for smoothing?

Also are these measurements PLUS the butter? (I never use butter in the summer) Do I add more shortening if I dont use the butter?

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds interesting!

puzzlegut Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 4:19am
post #4 of 11

That's correct, I only use 1 cup shortening for less then 2 pounds of powdered sugar. I've used milk before when I used this recipe with Crisco and it worked fine. The only reason I used water was because the recipe suggested it since it would last longer and wouldn't have to worry about spoilage or refrigeration. The recipe tasted fine with just using water. You could use milk or cream if you want.

I have seen a similar recipe to this and it used 1/2 cup hi-ratio shortening and 1/2 cup butter plus the same amounts of sugar, water, and flavoring. Haven't tried it though.

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 11

I will have to give it a try! Have you ever tried using the non dairy creamers? I have read about using those as well, but I don't even like the smell of those things!

puzzlegut Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 11

Haven't tried the non-dairy creamer thing. I've heard some good things about but haven't taken that leap to try it. Do you know what the measurements usually are (parts creamer to parts water)?

loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 11

I usually add a 1/3 of a cup of heavy whipping cream per 2 lbs of sugar. The cream I use is ultra patirized and have read that it doesn't need to be refrigerated once you make the buttercream, as the sugar also preserves it. But the shelf life is only 2-3 days as with water, its like a week, no?
(out of the fridge) I have used milk in a buttercream/shortening/butter mixture for years and never had it go bad. So I am still confused why people think you need to refrigerate buttercream that has milk in it..

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 11

Puzzlegut, What is icing base? Thanks

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 11

Haven't tried icing base yet, but it's supposed to improve the texture and spreadability of frosting.

Here's other info:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/

HTH

puzzlegut Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 11

I'm not sure what icing base is. I haven't used it because I can't find it (except for Sugarcraft, but don't want to pay the high shipping costs). It seems to work okay without it, though I would be interested to see how it changes the buttercream.

When I've made buttercream using milk, I'll store the unused buttercream in the refrigerator. But after I frost the cake, I'll just leave it out. But I've read that the buttercream will last longer if it's made with water and you don't have to store the leftovers in the refrigerator. I guess it's whatever you prefer.

loriemoms Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 12:48am
post #11 of 11

I usually don't frost my cakes more then a day or two ahead of time of delivery. I always just wonder about if I am doing is safe, since I leave it at room temp for a day...or sometimes two days.

I am making a huge cake tomorrow night and I am going to make a buttercream with crisco, as I don't want to spend a fortune on hi ratio for it...The cake is going to be sitting for two days! I guess it would be safer to make it with water then?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%