Feeling Overwhelmed...(Long)

Decorating By iluvcakes5 Updated 9 Jun 2007 , 3:34am by iluvcakes5

iluvcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes5 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:35am
post #1 of 17

I am a newbie to the cake decorating world. I have had no formal teaching. I am basically taking on each cake as a challenge and if a bump in the road comes up I depend on you here at CC (by the way - THANK YOU). Well, what I thought was going to be a slow process in getting a cake business started has blossomed... Yes, I am greatful, but here is what I am dealing with and feeling and I need my friends here to help me get over this...PLEASE

First, I have no clue what I am doing!!! I love decorating cakes, but I have no idea what to charge. It seems to me that everyone wants Wal-mart prices, but homemade results!!!! I have no idea how much feeds how many. Yes, I have the Wilton book, but here in the South - cakes just aren't cut like those in Wilton. LOL!!! I feel like my cakes are doing so good because they are cute (definitely not even close to most of the cakes on this website) but I think that I am charging a lot less than what my cakes are worth. Yet, I feel like if I did not charge that price then I would not have any business because there are far better decorators out there. Basically, my cakes are good, but not flawless like the cakes are on here and like some of the other cake decorators around here.
Like tonight I got a call for a cake that will feed 60-70 people (a sheet cake) and the lady wants a garden. Some of the cake to look like grass and then she wants it to look like a garden (because that is her moms biggest joy in life) she even wants it to look like mulch!!! AWWWW!!! I have no idea where to even begin.
Basically, I do not know what I need (I do know that I need CC). Like how many icing bags should one have, what food colors to keep on hand,
Can cake decorating be something that makes a lot of money and at the same time be something that I LOVE to do!!!????
Sorry so long... just feeling happy that I have found something that I love to do. Yet, overwhelmed that everything is happening so fast - is it because I am practically giving cakes away or because I have talent???
Anyway, basically, I just hope that one day I am one of the big wigs on this website that can offer others advice and that I have a waiting list of needing to call months in advance in order to get a cake from me. And then once I learn how to post pictures that ya'll are marking my calkes as your favorites. I just need some guidance in this world of cake decorating as a career!!! Sorry so long - just stressed!!! But, very much appreciative

16 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:40am
post #2 of 17

I would suggest that you invest in some classes. They helped me along. Just learning how to do the basics correctly. Then just use this site for help when you have questions. Someone always can help!

For the mulch, how about shaved chocolate?

Stephanie

iluvcakes5 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 17

Shaved chocolate a great idea!!! Thank you very much!!!!! I know how to do the basics... I just am learning about the little yet important things. Like freezing your cakes, but you must let them thaw before icing or they will settle once they become room temperature, etc...

My biggest issues is what to charge... because if I charge what I should I do not know if I would have a business. So, do I charge less now because I am a beginner and then as I get better charge more???

How many does a quarter sheet feed? Torting and filling it is not real big round here... How much does a quarter sheet with icing and then another quarter sheet feed? That are some things that help...

Also, where do you purchase order forms so you can write down what flavors, what to say, what colors??? etc...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 17

The classes are an excellent suggestion. It will reinforce what you already know and will add to your basic skills, plus will give you more confidence.

In determining a price per serving, you should determine what kind of standard serving you are going to go by and price consistently with this standard. Below is a link in which I've done the math sheet cakes (it's a link inside this link):

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3245473#3245473

My philosophy is "this is the standard size serving .... you are welcome to cut it any size you like, but if that means you need more cake, then you have to buy more cake." For round and tiered cakes, I go by the Wilton chart .... if they want to cut them bigger than that, they are more than welcome to.

When you go to Kentucky Fried Chicken and order their chicken strips meal, a standard serving is 3 strips. If you want (or think you "need") more than that, then you have to buy more chicken. They are not going to throw in a couple of more pieces for free just because a customer is used to eating like there is no tomorrow.

For example, a 9x13 sheet cake, when cut in 2x2 pieces, will serve 20-24 people. At $1.50/serving, that's a $30-36 cake. When I was growing up, a 9x13 sheet cake would serve 8. Six kids, 2 adults, one cake. Gone in 60 Seconds! Would you sell the cake for twelve bucks just because people think they need a piece of cake the size of a brick? Heck, no!!

Find your standard and price accordingly.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 17

Totally right, Indydebi!! And $1.50 a slice is cheap, but if you're a beginner, maybe you'd feel most comfortable with this. Though, if you do a lot of "specialty" work on the cakes, figures, a lot of difficult flowers, etc, then I would charge extra for that. You just need to make sure you're making a decent profit, and you can up your prices as you get more experienced!

BTW - where are your pics?! Please post your cakes so we can see!!! LOL You may think your cakes are just okay, but you may be surprised - let us see!

iluvcakes5 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 17

I have pictures, but I do not know how to transfer them to the computer. I am not very experienced in that field. The time I attempted, I deleted every single picture that I had.
I am not ashamed of them, I just do not have the update computer to handle downloading pictures.

Thank you all for your help. The people on this site are the most amazing people and they help me feel better when things are a little rough. You, all, are truly amazing in my ideas and my role models. Great job at all you do.

monkee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkee73 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 17

Yes Please post some pics!!!

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 17

Indydebi hit the nail on the head.

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 17

Here's another side to the argument. Maybe you are charging what you should be charging. I don't really know - it's hard to tell when we aren't (1) in your market, (2) aware of the prices you're charging, (3) seeing your work and (4) tasting your work.

I'm not saying you aren't doing great things, I'm just saying that everyone has to start somewhere and coming out with guns blazing (or even just smokin'!) and charging big bucks isn't going to get you people lined up for your cakes, which in turn means you'll make less cakes so you'll have less opportunities to practice new things.

I'm all for getting what you're worth - it's a hobby and a joy, but an expensive one. But, I see a lot of people around CC who are just getting started and who seem to want to price themselves right out of any business.

I'm 2.5 years into this and I still only cover my costs on cakes, plus a little extra that people donate to the Breast Cancer 3 Day. I just don't think I'm anywhere near ready to charge what I should for my time. It makes me nervous for others when I see them staking a lot of time, hope, dreams and/or money opening a shop, advertising, etc. when they're fresh out of the starting blocks.

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to be negative or a downer, but that honing your skills with classes and more experience will help you get into the market at prices you like.

Ducking for cover,
Christy

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 17

I am sorry you are feeling this way. You have to come up with some standard pricing. Don't go to cheap, your time is important.

Everyone first set of cakes were not perfect. Some pictures I have I want to delete but I leave them to see the progress. Everything in time.

Don't get too down in the dumps. Sometimes one this can make you not like something that you really enjoy doing.

Take care,

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 17

Even without seeing your pics, my guess is that you must have some talent or you wouldn't be getting orders for specialty cakes like the garden themed cake that your customer has asked of you.

I can understand your dilemma with the pricing. I have been making some cakes as gifts for people, just so I can learn how to do things. That way, I can practice the skills that I want to focus on without the pressure of knowing that someone has paid me. If something does not work out the way I anticipated (which unfortunately has happened more than once icon_redface.gif) I always have a backup plan to make sure they get a decent cake.

I would agree with taking the classes to learn more. But don't sell yourself short - start charging more in line with what your cakes are worth and see what happens. My guess is that you will be happy with the results and for those that still want the Walmart price - let them go to Walmart!

twindees Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 17

Totally off topic but CranberryClo you are just charging for supplys. Have you looked at your photos. Your cakes are awesome.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 17

Yes girl! (CranberryClo) Your pics are great! Quit selling so cheap! I think it's wonderful that you donate your money, but think how much more you could donate if you charged more. Your work is wonderful!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 7:17pm
post #14 of 17

I can't really help here, as I'm not selling my cakes yet (not legal!) but I can say that you should definitely get your supplies and a little of your time back, if nothing else. And go ahead and price your cakes fairly. You'd be amazed at how many people will pay what it's worth. I'm in the South, as well, and I understand the reluctance to charge too much, but think about this: the Bi-Lo down the street from me does a quick, air-brushed, simple sheet cake with plastic figures on it for $36. If you're doing more than that, and putting more artistry and talent into it (not knocking the Bi-Lo gals... they work hard, but sometimes having to work that hard and fast, you don't get to put the creativity into it that you might otherwise) then you should charge accordingly.

As for the garden cake... have you seen the Peeter Rabbit cake here on CC? It's Peter Rabbit standing in his garden... so very sweet... I want to do a similar one for my mom sometime.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=29800

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 17

Hey thanks Twindees and kimkenimer! I swear I wasn't fishing for compliments.

I do "charge" however in the form of a donation. Yes, I could make more if I "charged" more but then some of my monthly orders (for teacher lounges) wouldn't happen. This way I get to practice and they get cake and breast cancer research gets money. It all works out in the end (except perhaps for all of our waistlines). The people I am baking for know that they are getting a steal and they know that if I ever do this as a means to make my own money, prices will go up.

I just really believe in cake (and life) karma. I enjoy what I'm doing, so I charge enough to cover my costs and give a bit to a worthwhile cause. And, I'm happy to report, I'm almost done raising the $2200 I need to walk this year. I've gotten it almost all through cakes and sewing projects! Now it's onto the actual walk itself!

twindees Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 9:27pm
post #16 of 17

Wow that's great CranberryClo. I know you were not fishing for compliments, I was just telling it like it is. thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif You have some very pretty cakes.

What a great thing to do.

iluvcakes5 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 3:34am
post #17 of 17

CranberryClo - I commend you for the person that you are and hope that you achieve all that you are set out to achieve.

As for me, Here is the bottom line... I work at least 10 hours a day and a mother to 4 children. I started this cake business as a hobby that I would hope to become a full-time business so that I could quit working so hard at what I do now. But, right now I am working and doing at least 2 cakes a week. Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed because I want to get in the kitchen and just work and play. But there seems to be no time for the "cake decorator" there is only time for the mom and the wife to a firemen and at the end of the day I am so tired that I just do not have the energy to get in the kitchen to better myself. I look at the cakes on here and I feel like I am never going to get there. Sometimes, I feel like I just need to give up my dream.
Then comes the business part of it. I do not know what to charge so I just charge whatever. Well, then I spend hours (late night hours after working all day and then dealing with 4 children) getting these cakes ready. So, when I hand them over and see what little profit I am making - then I felt like - well is it worth all the effort.

So, how do I make it worth my time and effort? I already know that I love it. I just want to one day be the gallery member on here one day and helping everyone like they did - and it just seems like it not in the cards for me to do that even though I would love nothing more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%