Question About Fitting Cakes In Cake Boxes

Decorating By sweetpea8 Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 3:15am by CelebrationsbyLori

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 12:34am
post #1 of 5

ok, i might be missing something here so please help. do you all put your 11x15 sheet cakes in an 11x15 cake box? or do you buy the next box size up?
when i put a cake in a box that is bigger than the cake size, i'm afraid its going to slide around in the box while i'm delivering it. sometimes it does.

how do you all box your cakes?

i'm so confused icon_redface.gif

4 replies
thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 12:46am
post #2 of 5

I use a bigger box than my cake. A 8 inch cake would go in a 10 inch box. My cake board is usually 2 inches bigger than my cake as well, so I need a bigger box to fit the board.

I use a piece of no-skid shelf liner under my cakes in the box so it doesn't slid. And another piece under the box in the car so it doesn't move. Works great!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 2:38am
post #3 of 5

ditto what thems_my_kids said.

So your 11x15 cake would go on a 13x17 board or larger. So the board sticks out from the cake, right? Then you get the cake box size that matches that board size. It won't slide at all then! The edges of the larger board rest right up on the inside of the box.

And that no-skid stuff is GREAT. I get mine at the dollar store, it's a great trick.

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:02am
post #4 of 5

thank you for your help. i've only been able to find 14x19 sized boxes so that leaves me with a lot of extra space on my 11x15 cakes. i don't want to make the board that big (i use foamcore board cut to size) because then the cake might look lost on the board.
maybe i'll try the non-skid liner.

thanks again icon_smile.gif

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:15am
post #5 of 5

I use the 14"x19" for my 11"x15" pan all the time. It's actually only 1 1/2" extra on each side before the border, so after, really only an inch or so, which looks fine and gives the customer space to move the cake around without sticking their fingers into the border! JMO -Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%