Getting Frustrated...smoothing Bc?

Decorating By erinkalins Updated 21 Jul 2006 , 6:08pm by Misdawn

erinkalins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinkalins Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 10

I try and try and try to smooth my butter cream and you always end up seeing the edge of the cake! I dont get it, do I need to put MORE icing on and just smooth real lightly, I always seem to press hard so it comes out real smooth...Ive seen some amazing cakes out there and I just cant seem to get it. I would like to get to the point where i dont HAVE to use fondant just to have my cakes smooth...please help!?
Thank you!!

9 replies
Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 10

I understand!!! I want so badly to have perfectly smooth cakes... I have been using typing paper with better results. I guess just practice, practice, practice..I think I am tooo impatient.....HMMM

GinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaD Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 10

I am with you guys! I can't get it, and I get really aggravated.

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 10

I know, it can be so frustrating! When you are ready to try again though, read this first - it might give you some helpful hints -

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948-.html

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 10

Try using an icing tip; the layer of BC will be thick, but you can remove some while smoothing. Be sure to cover the cake edges using the icing tip. Wilton.com might have more info re this tip.
When done smoothing, let the BC crust for 10-15 minutes, then use the viva paper towel method (see the articles section).

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 10

Are you doing a crumb coat first? When you crumb, you put a thin layer of icing on & it's important to let it dry before you put the final coat on.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 10

If you're using a magic line type pan, with perfectly straight edges, they're much easier to ice/decorate, because of the sharp edges.

Yes, it does take extra icing to get the edges covered. Quite a bit, in fact.

Viva works great after filling the edges away, too!

--Knox--

erinkalins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinkalins Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone for your input, i'm sure it just takes a lot of practice, but I am just anxious to have beautiful cakes!!

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 10

wow i thought i was the only one who couldnt get my bc smooth

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 10

Also, you can use parchment paper instead of Viva towels. It works great! The Viva towels always stuck to my icing, but the parchment doesn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%