Crusting Buttercream Recipes

Baking By joesmom583 Updated 25 Jul 2006 , 7:57pm by TexasSugar

joesmom583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joesmom583 Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 12

I want to try to make a crusting buttercream for a faux fondant look. THe recipe in the article has flour in it. Here are my questions:

Is the flour what makes it crust?

Does anyone use a differant recipe than the one in the article? Would you be willing to share your recipe and pictures of cakes you make using crusting buttercream?

Thank you!!!!!!

11 replies
yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 12

go hear...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

if you use saran wrap it looks very close, and this is very good recipe.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 12

i just use my buttercream recipe 1/2 crisco & 1/2 butter, not sure if you call it crusting, but i did the viva method & it work....bridal shower pic in my gallery

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 12

my recipe is almost the same as the link that yukisaru posted, i just use different extracts & cream instead of milk.

good luck

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 12

does that buttercream dream crust? icon_rolleyes.gif

yukisaru Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, it can get really firm if you use the saran wrap to smooth it with and a little oily buy it holds up well. I am hoping to post my course 1 rainbow cake that I used this method on tonight.

lilsomethinsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsomethinsweet Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 12

I use a 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter recipe. It is the Wilton recipe (except I use water insted of milk) and it is a crusting icing.

remame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remame Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 12

Isn't it the meringue powder that makes the icing crust? That's what I learned in my Wilton course! icon_smile.gif

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 12

yukisaru: I am making the 3D spiderman cake and need to use the crusting buttercream............can you tell me how you use the saran wrap method, I tried the Viva and it didn't work for me.......thanks

yukisaru Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 12

I let the icing set for 5 min. I have now used both saran wrap and the Non-Stick Parchment Paper from Wilton. I like the parchment paper best. I cut a square of it a little larger than the cake and take something with a flat surface (Spatula, book) and use that to smooth the surface over. Dont press too hard or do it for too long, that will cause the buttercream to stick. When you pull the parchment paper off do it from one side not straight up.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 12

I always use the "Buttercream Dream" recipe and it crust very nice for me everytime. I use water instead of milk though, so I will not have to worry about leaving it out. usaribbon.gif

Connie

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 12

The amount of sugar to fat in the recipe is what makes it a crusting or non crusting recipe. The more fat the less crusting, the more sugar the more crusting.

Flour I believe is used to help cut sweetness and to had a bit more stability to the icing. Meringue powder also helps with the stabilty but the Wilton recipe can be made with out it and it will stif crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%