Sorry But I Don't Understand

Decorating By makenice99 Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 6:03pm by paolacaracas

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 28

I was looking at a post on here yesterday and wanted to ask this question but my boss had other ideas for my time icon_redface.gif so I thought I would post it this morning.

Why is it that a cake for a birthday party is $2 per slice but the same cake if used for a wedding would be $3.50 per slice?

Please forgive the question but Im confused since the pan and all of the ingredients would be the same just different words.

27 replies
randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 28

Other people have questioned this too, because there is really no quantifiable reason for it. Many have talked about equalizing the prices, because they do take as much work. The reason that I can think of is that you charge what people will pay. And people will pay more for wedding cakes. I guess a wedding cake is a bit more stress as well, I mean what happens if you mess up? But a birthday cake? Less of a big deal, I mean, you have a birthday every year, but a wedding hopefully only once.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 28

There shouldn't be a difference in price.

If there is a difference, it should be per "number of tiers". A one-tiered cake could be $2/serving, a 2-tiered cake could be $2.50/serving, and 3 or more could be $3 or more. "Wedding cakes" usually cost more because there is a significant amount of knowledge and architecture that has to go into a multli-tiered cake. But if someone orders a 3-tiered birthday party cake, it should cost exactly the same as a 3-tiered wedding cake.

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 28

I didn't read the original post, but it could be that more embellishment is built into the cost of a wedding cake, but not into the birthday cake - you'd have to pay extra for the more expensive decorations on a wedding cake. Probably should ask the person who posted the prices.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 28

I'm an EXTREMELY ethical person, so even the IDEA of charging more for the same cake because it has wedding attached to it is WRONGO to me. If I charge 100 for a two tier cake with special filling and delivery for birthday cake, that's what I would charge for a wedding. I would ONLY charge for more cake or more detail on the cake.

It's the mentality of "charge more for wedding in front of the name" that is giving cake decorators and every other business associated with weddings that mark up prices for no reason a BAD name, the reason why the doubt EVERYONE'S prices (assuming everyone inflates)... and honestly, a birthday cake for a kid is just as important to that child as a wedding cake is to the bride!

Melissa

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 28

I thought the difference was in the decorations, architecture(stacking, pillars, both...)....the majority of wedding cakes are considerably more elaborate that celebration/birthday cakes...

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 28

I would still price it for the amount of work it takes, no matter what the occasion.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I thought the difference was in the decorations, architecture(stacking, pillars, both...)....the majority of wedding cakes are considerably more elaborate that celebration/birthday cakes...

But she was asking - if it's the SAME cake... why different prices? Like, if you did a topsy turvy bday cake versus a topsy turvy wedding, why is it more?

Melissa

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 28

My bad. I missed that part.

breelaura Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 28

This is why you should ask the person who posted the prices - the wedding may well include more stuff than the bday, or may assume delivery, etc., that you'd have to pay extra for on the bday cake.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 28

I think that it depends on the baker and whomever is setting the price. I, for one, am fed up with people saying wedding cakes are, after all, "only" flour, butter and eggs. NO-NO-NO they are NOT!!! This thought process goes along with people who think that it's cheaper to have a dummy wedding cake, then serve sheet cakes from the kitchen to their guests. Well, if I have to take the time to design, build, cover and decorate dummies, PLUS bake, ice and somehow make a sheet cake look remotely similar to what is being shown as the "wedding cake", it's going to cost just as much ... there was just as much effort (if not more) going into that setup as the order for a "real" wedding cake that will be served.

There are many decorators who can certainly provide a successful and lovely birthday cake without breaking a sweat, but a wedding cake is EXPECTED (by the Bride, Groom, their families and guests, etc., not to mention the decorator) to be PERFECT!

Also, many birthday cakes are NOT delivered, while most wedding cakes are. That service is not free, you know, especially in light of the rising costs of petroleum, so lots of us will build that cost into the price of a wedding cake.

And finally, as kelleym has pointed out:

"Wedding cakes" usually cost more because there is a significant amount of knowledge and architecture that has to go into a multli-tiered cake. [I couldn't have said this better myself...]

Those skills aren't easy to come by ... grown men have been known to cry or crumble into puddles at the thought of making a wedding cake. It's not for the faint of heart OR the unskilled.

IMHO, THAT is the difference in cost.

HTH,

Odessa

[edited to add: sorry if I sould bitter and witchy, but this question comes up a lot and it irritates me like a sesame seed under the dentures. I just read something yesterday that was a quote from some NYC wedding planner who essentially said that a wedding cake is an "unnecessary" and "foolish" tradition that no one cares for anyway. It's comments like that one that tend to push me over the edge. Sorry for coming off a bit nasty. I'll try to dust off my soapbox and put it into the closet for a while now ...]

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 28

I don't do a per serving price...

I've been agitated by the difference in servings you get out of the same size cake...
I know that wedding cake servings are cut smaller than celebration/birthday cakes(most times anyway)

not to pick on anyone's servings chart

but not only are you getting the same amount of cake but being charged a lower price for a larger serving:

10" round-
party servings-28 wedding servings-38

cost-
party-1.50x28 wedding- 38x3.50

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 28

I solved that problem...I just hiked up the prices for my party cakes and now everything is the same price. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:08pm
post #14 of 28

hahahahahahahahaha@adven68!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 28

I think I know the post that the original poster is talking about. Someone showed a picture of their cake and said "how much should I charge for this cake." Someone posted and said if it is for a birthday I would charge..."x amount per slice" if it was for a wedding I would charge "x amount more per slice" So it was EXACTLY the same cake that would have a different price attatched to it. Personally, I think that is wrong. But if people are willing to pay it...then that is the choice that they make.

breelaura Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:12pm
post #16 of 28

Odessa - you crack me up! Sesame seed under the dentures... *wanders off chucking to self*

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:16pm
post #17 of 28

1. There are more components to use in a wedding cake. More dowels, circles, etc.
2. There is less room for error on a wedding cake. You can't just cover up or disguise an error on a wedding cake like you can on a bday cake.
3. Delivery/setup
4. Perfection is time consuming.
agian, disposable costs are a lot more.

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:22pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

But she was asking - if it's the SAME cake... why different prices? Like, if you did a topsy turvy bday cake versus a topsy turvy wedding, why is it more?

Melissa

There was a post yesterday, but I can't find it that explained it perfectly. It said that it's not necassarily that you are charging more per serving, as it is more per cake. For example a 12x18x2 cake makes 27 2''x2'' party servings, but makes 36 1.5"x2" wedding servings.

27 servings*2.50 per serving = $67.50
36 servings*2.50 per serving = $90.00

That's the only way it makes sense to me how the same cake could cost different. Hope that makes sense.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:26pm
post #19 of 28

I believe that the cake should be the same price wether its a wedding cake or a birthday cake. The same amount of work and ingredients go into it so because you call it a wedding cake it shouldn't be priced any different than if you call it a birthday cake.
My sheet cake prices start at $1.50 per serving and for all of my stacked cakes the price start at $2.50 per serving. Stacked cakes are priced higher because there are more things required to stabilize it (dowels, cake boards ect) I have all of my stacked cakes with the same serving size as well. I use the Wilton party serving sizes for all of my cakes instead of the wedding serving sizes.
Jacqui

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 28

I know I've seen more than one bakery's price list...for both occasion cakes and wedding cakes....the price per serving was higher for the wedding cake.

If I were wanting a cake from them for a wedding, I definitely wouldn't tell them it was for a wedding.

A cake, with NO decorations...say, to put real flowers on...would cost me more if I said "I'd like to order a wedding cake" as opposed to "I would like to order a birthday cake"

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:39pm
post #21 of 28

As a previous poster said. My wedding cakes will be more expensive only because I charge per slice and you get more slices per layer than party slices. But if they wanted bigger slices, I would charge my party slices anyway and they would pay more because of the need for more cake. Does that make any sense?

Stephanie

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:41pm
post #22 of 28

I never really thought about it ... except that for a birthday cake I have never had to:

1. Do taste testings
2. Have more than one "meeting" to discuss details
3. Been called multiple times from multiple relitives
4. Had to deliver and set up the cake
5. Cordinate with the reception area
6. Console the "picky" ones
7. Put up with mothers
8. Arrange details with the florist
9. Panic and stress that the cake would crack or fall
10. Been expected to have extra boxes, or extra credentials!

All of which are involved in weddings!

Now I have to admit, twice now I have been called a day or two before the wedding by a friend or repeat customer... the person being in a panic and not really carring what the cake looks or taste like -- JUST NEEDS CAKE and I did not charge wedding prices ... it reminds me of birthdays and at that point it becomes a ministry to keep the people from meltdown.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:42pm
post #23 of 28

I look at birthday cakes as the "loss leader"... they are priced less but get people in your door and shopping with you. And the higher prices of wedding cakes helps offset the fact that you're only getting $50 for a birthday cake.

And then there's the whole "What the market will bear" argument. Budgets for weddings are much higher than for birthday parties.

all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:44pm
post #24 of 28

Thank you Pidge! For real! I never thought about all that. and that puts a lot of things into perspective.

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:44pm
post #25 of 28

For the same reason a hall will charge more for a Friday reception than a Tuesday reception...because it's a wedding, and the wedding business is a big old racket.

Mickig icon_wink.gif

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:47pm
post #26 of 28

Hi,

Thanks for all of the comments. Yes Freddyfl I think you have the post I was talking about. It was for a sheet cake I believe thats why I couldn't understand why the price would be different. I understand if it was multi tiers but a sheet cake.

Thanks all thumbs_up.gif I am years away from ever trying a wedding cake I was just wondering.

Sorry aobodessa icon_biggrin.gif

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:59pm
post #27 of 28

I just had this thought ... I have a friend who also does cakes and she started charging LESS for weddings ... becasue so many people were wanting to have plain cakes with real flowers (and her birthday cakes were very detailed in multiple buttercream colors). So weddings were taking her less time. Now then, I don't know if she was charging less per serving but still using smaller serving sizes ... it does get rather complicated when you think about it!!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:03pm
post #28 of 28

the more time consuming a cake is the more it costs.
thats how I price my cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%