Fathers Day Cake (Long)

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 6:12pm by tmt

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 17

I am so stressed out about what kind of cake to make for fathers day! I really have no ideas .. well I do but they probably are not feasable .. my dad is not a hunter, fisherman or outdoorsy type of person .... he isn't into sports of any kind .. soccer football baseball wrestling nascar etc ... he has no hobbies other then playing some kinda of weird game online that I have no idea what its about and if he tried to explain I would most likely fall asleep ... he does have a huge salwater aquarium in his computer room but I already made him a fish themed cake before .. he tends to collect wizards and dragon type stuff along with special swords ... I don't really want to make him a dragon cake because I want to do a really awesome cake for his birthday this year when he turns 60 ... I have thought about making a wizard cake but what would I do? My decorating abalities are limited as for most of the time I have no real idea on how to actually carve a shape or achive a special shape .. sorry this is so long but I am really starting to wonder what I am going to do! Can anyone help me out? Thanks for any help/replies!!

16 replies
TheCakerator Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 17

anyone?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 17

If he likes wizards and stuff is he into anything like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter? If he is maybe something based off one of those there are tons of stuff in those books you could do. I've done a couple things with a Harry Potter theme.
If he isn't maybe a transfer of a wizard or dragon onto a round cake.
http://www.kidsdomain.com/kids/wizard/color/frog9.gif Here's a cute frog in a wizard hat I've been wanting to do.

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 17

What does he drink? Beer - maybe a beer can. Does he like burgers and fries? You can make him a cake like that. I'm sure he will be happy with anything!

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 17

does he play cards or any kind of gambling? what about a poker cake? I have a simple one in my pics. I agree, men are the hardest to make cakes for!

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 17

ok how about a boy in a wondermold? Instead of a dress make it a cloak.

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 17

Since he likes to play online, what about a computer cake? If you do a search for laptops in the gallery there are some relly cute ideas. Then maybe do an edible image or something of the game logo on the screen.

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 17

How about taking the Babrbie theme and making it into a wizard. Does he have a favorite out of his collection? Use that as a guide for the colors etc. I use a pampered chef mixing cup for the base and don't have any or much carving to create the robe of a wizard (or dress for Barbie). oops just read the post with the same idea icon_smile.gif

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 17

this cake might be a good idea if he's outdoorsy... you can add things that appeal to him... maybe even a magic wand or something fun like that
its a fishing basket cake by Susie112562
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=605463

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 17

oops you said he is NOT and outdoorsy person
sorry didn't read it throughly

TheCakerator Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 17

thanks everyone for your ideas ... he does not drink beer and hes not really into the lord of the rings or harry potter type stuff .. he just has a few wizard figurines in a curio cabinet in his computer room ... I guess I could try to make him some type of wizard cake ... maybe out of a few stacked round cakes shaped a little bit? I will definately keep thinking .. and yes, men cakes are extremely hard to do! At least for me!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 17

why not a wizards hat. You could just stack some cakes n carve em into a pointee shape frost it in either dark blue or black n pipe some stars on it. Put the cake on a larger board so that you have lots of space to write your salutation.

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 17

My husband is a role-playing-game writer, and I made a cake for his co-authors once... it's in my gallery, the "Xxyth" cake. That character came out of DH's book, but there's a lot more out there. Find out what game he's playing (it's most likely world of warcraft) and pick a character out of it to put on top of the cake. I bet he'd think it's great!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 17

I'm kind of in the same boat about what to do for my husband. I was thinking about a dog cake, resembling our (his) sheltie. Does he have a pet?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 17

You could also avoid a real "theme" and still make it spectacular! You could do a square 10/8 or 8/6 cake and do stripes/shapes/dots with some cool piping, and even use silver luster dust to accent. This could be very masculine, and still look fabulous! You could save more themey things for his birthday, maybe? Especially since you're struggling for a theme that fits him. I think making 1-2 cakes that suit what his absolute favorites are would be wonderful, since it's for Father's day, and you could really knock his socks off!

TheCakerator Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 17

all of these ideas are really great, I probably won't end up doing a two tier cake simply because that is a lot of cake wasted just for my small family ... however I do like the idea of a wizards hat ... hmmmm

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:12pm
post #17 of 17

use a cake dummy for one of the tiers! no wasted cake that way

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%