Cookies/ Cupcakes For My Own Going Away Party?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 8 Jun 2007 , 1:54pm by jen1977

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 10

I'm leaving my current job to pursue another one that's more challenging. I truly have enjoyed working with the people I've worked with and I'd like to leave a little "token" of appreciation in the form of a cookie/cake/cupcake. I figured cupcakes or cookies would be easiest b/c I could hand them out individually.... but I have NO ideas!!! I worked in Admin at a home for troubled (abused) youth. I didn't have much interaction w/ the kids, so I probably won't be making anything for them - especially b/c they get a lot of candy & cakes & stuff already and don't need the extra sugar. But for the staff I've worked with, I'd really like to do something. I thought about doing something w/ the logo, but I don't have an edible image printer and really don't want to spend a TON of money going to someone else to get that printed for a cookie or cupcake. I just wanted to do something cute, you know? But it can't be too elaborate b/c I am still working full-time and trying to train for this new job. Any ideas? Or should I just bring in some boring undecorated cookies or cupcakes?

Ooh also - flavor ideas? Should I do one flavor or two? just choc. or vanilla or what?

9 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 10

How about making different fillings instead of a lot of different flavors of cake? You could use the pudding packs as fillings and they don't need to be refrigerated. How complex is your company logo? Can you make little FBCTs ahead of time and then put them on the cupcakes the day before?

Deanna

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 10

how about cupcakes with large flowers? Simple and pretty.

imartsy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 10

toomuchcake - pudding packs? Huh? Like the Jello puddings? I always see them in a little refrigerated section at the grocery...... but that certainly is an interesting idea! And I am supposed to pick up my new Bismark tip (The one for inserting jelly/ frosting/ etc. into cupcakes) from a local store.... I'd forgotten about it until now!! But are those the kind of pudding things you're talking about? Do you think a white cake w/ different pudding fillings??

Thanks!

TooMuchCake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, except you can also get the pudding packs in the same aisle where the baking stuff is. There are usually (at least in my area) more choices of flavors in the non-refrigerated aisle. My son likes butterscotch and white cake, I like choc/choc or choc/vanilla pudding. When I taught Wilton, and when I was learning, we would show torting and filling with pudding packs, because they were easy to get and didn't need to be kept cold. Two little cups fill a 10" cake.

Deanna

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 10

You might like to look at some of the cookie photos. There are some beautiful ideas there and they aren't that difficult. I like to make cookies and place colored MMF on them while they are still warm. This allows the MMF to adhere to the cookie, makes decorating them pretty easy. Just cut the MMF with the same shape cookie cutter you used to make the cookie with. Let the cookie sit over night to allow the MMF to dry. You can then put royal icing,( with corn syrup added to it), details onto the MMF. I did this technique for a cookie bouquet and they came out beautiful! I happen to like the taste of Penny's Cookie recipe, which you can find under CC's recipe section. If you need more info. on how to cover the cookies with MMF go to the cookie forums and ask away. Everyone is so helpful there. I hope this will help you. I'd offer more info. but I have to leave for work.
Sandy

imartsy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 10

I love doing MMF or actual Satin Ice fondant on cookies - that's a good idea - just not sure what shape or something....

As far as the logo, it is a bit complicated simply b/c it looks like a kid's drawing & there are several colors in it I think around 8..... I hate having to make 10 different colors of frosting for something......, remember this can't take a large amount of time.

I just made Penny's cookies last month and I really enjoy them! I would probably use that recipe if I decorate some cookies. Or I'm still open to cupcake ideas too..... the flowers are a nice idea...... I'd really like to do something that seems like it ties into the place itself - a residential home for troubled kids - you know, kid friendly stuff is good even if it's adults that will be eating these, not kids.

TooMuchCake Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 10

I was just trying a free-association with your workplace, and the thing that popped into my mind was a heart with a ribbon tied around it, sort of like tying a broken heart back together, but not as dramatic as that. You could mold the hearts out of chocolate and pipe a little ribbon bow that binds up the troubled heart - which could also mean that you've loved working with these people and your own heart might need a little bandaid at having to leave them.

Just a thought!

Deanna

imartsy Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 10

I'm thinking maybe I'll just do some heart cookies.... or maybe I could do House cookies??? I wonder if I have a cookie cutter of a house..... b/c it's a children's Home?? Oh I think there is a house cookie w/ a little heart out there somewhere..... shoot. I wish the cake store here could be counted on to have supplies.... 9 times out of 10 they don't have what I need.... icon_sad.gif

Keep your fingers crossed... maybe I can find one! And maybe I can even just use fondant/MMF/ rolled buttercream & some of those fondant writers or food markers..... ooh!!!! icon_smile.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 10

Those little packs of pudding are supposed to be kept in the fridge after they are opened, so your cupcakes/cake would need to be after it was filled. If you read the package, it says to refridgerate after opening!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%