I Just Don't Get It!!?? Fbct?

Decorating By carrotfairy Updated 21 Jul 2006 , 3:13pm by springlakecake

carrotfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotfairy Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:23am
post #1 of 5

I've read the article on FBCT a hundred times but I still don't get it when it comes to steps 7 and 8. After I finish coloring in the graphic then what??? I'm probably going to kick myself and say "DUH!" when i get the explanation, but for now my poor little head just doesn't get it. Here is the article....and it's steps 7 and 8. ACK!!! Somebody please help me!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

4 replies
JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 7:35am
post #2 of 5

Once you have finished filling in the graphic, you put to gently push down on all the filled areas, because otherwise you can end up with lines in your FBCT. You gently smooth it together, and then take your background colour icing (if the top of the cake is white, then you would use white) to cover the entire back of the transfer. This is so when you turn it over, the edges are the same colour as the cake its going onto.

I hope this helps!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 5

I only did a FBCT once, but for step 7 I just pressed lightly with my finger (after it crusted slightly) and rubbed gently back and forth to get the transfer to be one level height. You want to blend the colors so they flow nicely and don't look like you did each color separately, but not press them so much that the colors mix together. Sorry, I'm not explaining very well.

As for step 8, I skipped it all together. I had a black outline around the transfer when I started filling it in and I just filled in carefully so the black outline remained after I was finished. I didn't even have to outline over the edge once I placed it on my cake. Maybe you can see from the picture, it's the Leprechaun in my photos.

Good luck, hope I didn't confuse you further...

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 5

I've done several FBCT's and I have found that using a slightly thinner consistency of icing when filling in the colors works for me... you don't get as many 'worm tracks'.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 21 Jul 2006 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 5

As for step 7 I figured out a way to do it really easily-at least it worked really well for me...I just layed a piece of papertowel over the "back" and used my fondant smoother to smooth (like you do for viva paper towel smoothing method) It worked great, I smoothed out the "worm tracks" easily, and didnt smear the image.

Let me clarify, I did the fondant smoother thing instead of the smoothing with the spatula..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%