Oven On Fire!

Decorating By saberger Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 4:09am by mkolmar

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:04am
post #1 of 9

So, I get a call from my DH to find out if we have another oven liner. "Why?" Well, he didn't realize the plastic cake dome was in the oven when he turned it on to pre-heat and not only did it melt, but it caught on fire! icon_eek.gif

I guess it is partially my fault for leaving the thing in there (I totally forgot about it) and his fault for not checking first! Needless to say, I have melted plastic on the electric thingies and I have to bake 3 cakes and 3 dzn cupcakes for this weekend!

I thought I had seen someone else have a similar disaster here on CC with kind people sharing as to how to remove the plastic, but I can't find it.

So...... does anyone else know how to get rid of dried melted plastic in an electric oven, or do we use this as an excuse to get a new one? And will I still be able to use it or will plastic fumes poison my cakes? I honestly don't even know if it WILL still work since flames apparently came shooting out of it. I just want to remove the plastic before I turn it on.

In the meantime, I just might check out some new ovens! icon_wink.gif

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:08am
post #2 of 9

first option -- replace just the element, scrape off plastic from racks (or take OUTSIDE and burn off w/ blow torch) and replace liner --- do NOT turn on the oven and try to burn it off that way -- too dangerous and yes plastic fumes can be way toxic!!!!

second option --- what a lovely new (bigger) stove

saberger Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:10am
post #3 of 9

The main element is the coil not the rack. So, how do I get the plastic fumes off the coil?

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:23am
post #4 of 9

I have done this before. I let it cool and it pretty much just comes off most. Then I put it on the clean and burned the rest. I did have the windows open.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 10:57am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

The main element is the coil not the rack. So, how do I get the plastic fumes off the coil?

where I grew up element = coil, used interchangeably and racks are only those things you put the pans on. So when I say replace the element, that is the same as saying replace the coil. (and don't warsh it in the crick <-- so central Midwest of me! icon_rolleyes.gif)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibugs

I have done this before. I let it cool and it pretty much just comes off most. Then I put it on the clean and burned the rest. I did have the windows open.

that is IF is has a self clean feature, not all ovens do (don't I know!)

-----

so, replace the liner (easy)

scrap plastic off of everything possible

on racks -- any that can be removed can be burned off w/ blowtorch

coil/element -- might be able to burn it off by setting at highest temp and letting oven go a bit keeping door closed -- but gotta have lots and lots of really good ventilation as the fumes ARE toxic!!! which is why might be easier to just buy a new coil/element.

----
and if you do have a self clean oven, that would probably do it -- but again VENTILATION!!!!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:10am
post #6 of 9

I wouldn't even mess with that element........ The new ones are not expensive, and would be much safer....... of course a NEW OVEN would be even better..... icon_lol.gif

saberger Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 2:20am
post #7 of 9

So, just an update.....I DID get a new oven (two weeks later). Convection. AND, DH said to go ahead to Home Depot Kitchen Designs and get a layout and estimate for redoing the kitchen just out of curiosity. Well, curiosity is getting me a new kitchen!!!! icon_smile.gif Whoo-hoo. Got love the man! I guess I was pretty good about not going $ crazy and still getting a very needed remodel. New oven, new kitchen. Now, how can I get him to set the bathroom on fire? Tee-hee icon_wink.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:03am
post #8 of 9

Congratulations!

I have to remember to leave a plastic cake dome in the oven when we are due for a kitchen makeover icon_wink.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:09am
post #9 of 9

Heading to my oven right now with my tupperwear. Asking DH if this was to happen can I get a new oven and kitchen too, but Saberger got one!!! congrats on the new kitchen and oven!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%