Packet Cake Mix - How To Make Taste Moist And Yummy

Decorating By Honey_Cakes Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm by tashaluna

Honey_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey_Cakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 21

Hi does anyone have any good ideas of how I can make a packet cake mix taste not like a packet cake mix. They seem to come out all dry and tasteless. Is there anything anyone adds to cake mix to make them taste yummy. icon_lol.gif

20 replies
vcr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcr Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 21

This is an old reciepe, I have used for 30 years.

Dream Cake
1 cake mix ( any flavor)
1 Package of Dream Whip( Kroger brand, if you have one is much cheaper)

4 whole eggs (unless white,use egg white only)
1 1/2 cps water

mix well.

In my white cakes I add 1 tab. of almond flavoring
Cakes will be taller , this if for 8"rd, 9x13 sheet, Character cake
Hope you like it!

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 21

I add a small package of instant pudding in a complimentary flavor, an extra egg and a tsp. of extract, usually almond, and always get raves on how moist and yummy my cakes are.

My favorite is Duncan Hines Classic White Cake, a box of white chocolate instant pudding and tsp. of almond extract. Yum. For chocolate, I use the dark chocolate mix and almond extract. Mmmm.

A neat book you may want to try is the Cake Mix Doctor. Some neat ideas.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 21

Boy does that sound like a good recipe vcr!! Thank you for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 21

Check out some of the enhanced cake mix recipes under the recipe section.
I substitute milk for the water, add a box of instant pudding and an extra egg to the mix and everyone loves it!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 21

I avoid anything that's flavored, except for chocolate and white. Use white as your base for strawberry, banana, etc. I find that the flavored box mixes have a very strong chemical flavor. I add a box (3.5 oz) of pudding mix and an extra egg, too.

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 21

the Dream Whip cake mix that someone posted above is simply awesome and silky. Yummy! I was impressed when I made it.

Little_Angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Little_Angel Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 21

icon_smile.gif Most of the time I substitute butter or margarine instead of oil add another egg and substitute water for evaporated milk same quantity as indicated in the box and add some flavor if it chocolate i use 1tsp almond and 1tsp vanilla if vanilla mix I use 1 tsp clear vanilla and butter flavor and i did not have any problem I made the trial with my friends and they didn't notice the difference between the cake mix and from scratch LOL!!! icon_lol.gif

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 21

I make a lot of cakes from scratch and they are certainly tasty but people seem to really love cakes from cake mixes. They automatically assume it's homemade and if it's actually a doctored up cake mix then I never admit to a cake mix. (I think to myself Sandra Lee - SEMI homemade.) I must say, I do like cake mix cakes. I do!! Especially Duncan Hines and Pillsbury. I love the tenderness and sponginess of the cake. If you go on allrecipes.com - they have a whole section on doctored cake mix cakes. I love that website! I get alot of recipes from there.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 21

I always add milk (or buttermilk) instead of water, an extra egg and instant pudding. Sometimes I add sour cream (especially for chocolate). I too only buy white and chocolate. I make my flavors from the white (strawberry, lemon, orange, etc).

I found a neat site today. If you go to Recipe Search and scroll down and select "cakes", then type in "cake mix" under the 1st ingredient and click on search, you get lots and lots of recipes that use cake mix.

http://www.hungrymonster.com/recipe/recipe-searching.cfm

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 21

I ALWAYS substitute the oil called for with an equal amount of Helman's Mayo, ..... for chocolate I add a teaspoon of Vanilla...for White a teaspoon of Almond extract....... really moist and yummy....

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:03am
post #12 of 21

Question about the dream cake - is it 'dense' for character cakes, etc? It sounds wonderful!

Little_Angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Little_Angel Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:13am
post #13 of 21

I do the same I never admit that my cake if it cake mix Never ever admit that is one cake made fron mix I always say that is from scratch. icon_lol.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:17am
post #14 of 21

i have always used butter or marg instead of oil and milk instead of water. I have added pudding and an extra egg, works great. Once i made the mistake of adding a banana pudding instead of vanilla. the banana flavoring on it was great, very tasty. thankfully i didn't add the pineapple filling i usually do to my vanilla cake. icon_confused.gif
I'm dying to try the dream whip in the cake, i bought it a while ago, but keep forgetting to give it a try.

vcr - no oil needed?

thanks!
Kat

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #15 of 21

I usually do the pudding and an extra egg and if I'm making chocolate cake I add a big dollop of sour cream. Lately with white cake I've also been adding creamer and the taste and texture is great.

Honey_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey_Cakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:05am
post #16 of 21

Wow thanks so much for all the replies I am dying to try them out but unfortunately I am in Australia and we don't have the same products as the USA so if there are any bakers out there that know the Aussie equivalents to the USA products that would be great!! icon_biggrin.gif

jacobsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacobsmommy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:13am
post #17 of 21

I always substitute my oil for the same amount of applesauce. it makes it SO moist!!

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:20am
post #18 of 21

Can somebody tell me what dream whip is? And where can I find it?

vcr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcr Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:57am
post #19 of 21

Yes I use it for character cakes even the 3-D.
No no oil.
I also use Duncan Hines. When people ask me if I use cakemix, I feel I have to honest, & say yes, but I add some key ingredients (dream Whip & Almond)& you won't know its a mix. I too get lots of complements on how good & moist my cakes are. You not only want your cake to look good but more important taste good. When I took cake decorating over 30 years ago, Oh my! I wanted my cakes to look just like the wilton cakes, smooth & tall, When dream whip first came out the dream cake recipe was on the pkg. So I gave it try & I never bake a cake without.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:37pm
post #20 of 21

i found the link to dream whip, you can find it in supermarkets. i think i got mine at Shop Rite.

http://164.109.46.215/brands/international/other/desserts.html

here's a picture of it:
http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/c5/96/2a/29726250.JPG

HTH

thanks for the help vcr.

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #21 of 21

here is somthing simple I do it for all my cakes. and I get great reviews. if the cake mix is needing 1/3 cup oil make it a half a cup. oh my god just that little bit extra makes so moist. just try it. you will see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%