Realistically How Many People Does A 12 Inch And An 11X15

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 15 Feb 2016 , 4:14pm by -K8memphis

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 21

How many people does a 12 inch and an 11X15 feed? I looked at the Wilton chart and they say that a 12 inch round serves 56 people. This is for a birthday party. Who is going to eat a 1 x 2 piece of cake at a birthday party? Not me!! Does anyone have a chart of their own that I could look at?

20 replies
sunflowerfreak Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 21

Can anyone help?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 21

That is the wedding cake serving (1" x 2"), Wilton's party size (2" x 1 1/2") says that it would be 40 servings. But that is also for a double layer 12".

Now if it were my family, it would probably serve 30 if I was lucky, but they have never heard of portion control if you know what I mean.

I would say if you like a hearty piece, you could definately get 30.

Stephanie

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 21

is there a better chart out there to go by?

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 21

I always tell people that my 11 X 15 (half sheet) feeds 30 people.
I would also think that the 12" round (double layer - 4" high) would feed about 30.

Shayenne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shayenne Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 21

Well Sunflowerfreak,

I do 12 Inch x 3 inch most of the time for a B-day of my family.

It reach for about 30 to 35 people.
and I never go by the chart my family is cake eaters...hahaha

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 21

According to Kelley (cakeboss Kelley)'s chart on CB a double layer 12" round serves 45. And a double layer 11x15 sheet serves 35. So if you make both of them 2 layer cakes, you are looking at a total of 80 servings icon_smile.gif HTH

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 21

According to the chart I use, an 11X15 serves 35 2x2 slices (single layer). HTH

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 21

Unfortunately I do a lot of cake squares (I guess I shouldn't complain,at least it is work!) When I precut the 11 x 15 I get 35 2x2 inch squres. When I do a 12 x 18 I get 54 2x2 inch squares. It also depends on who cuts the cake.
OOPs,
I just noticed you ment round. I looked on the paper that comes in the 2 inch deep round pan and it says 40. Hope this helps!

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 21

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you jkalman I knew I had seen that somewhere!! I have been searching for it for the longest time! YOU ROCK!

sunflowerfreak Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 21

Yes jkalman-This is just what I needed. I think I will go by the family serving when it's a birthday cake. Thanks so much.

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 21

I looked at the chart ... very accurate ... 11x15 doesn't sound like much at 1 layer but at 2 layers it serves way more people than you would expect! I told a lady 40 and for a cake she and she got well over that amount (over 70) ... and I had not told her to cut 1x2 inch pieces (she did that on her own!) My cakes are really tall though my 11x15 are about 4 inches. HTH

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 21

I've been having this same problem, was never really sure how many servings you would get and the Wilton charts seemed so far off for "real" servings. So I finally traced all my standard pans onto paper and then marked it according to how I would cut servings. So now I'm much more comfortable telling someone how many pieces they can expect to get. My numbers are pretty close to the chart mentioned above.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 21

Factor in how many kids will be eating this cake. At my granddaughter's 5th birthday last month, I was kinda making a mental note of how many pieces I was cutting. Since I cut wedding cakes every weekend, I was cutting them wedding cake size, almost out of habit, but I wanted to see how it served at a party. however, this turned out to be the perfect size for 4 and 5 year old kids (my daughter had ice cream for them, too). The parents who wanted more, just took a 2nd piece.

I made a 10" and a 6" (2 layers each) tiered cake for 25 people and after serving everyone once, there was plenty of cake left over for anyone who wanted seconds. Once I had all the kids served, I cut the next few pieces a little bigger, and we still had plenty.

But bear in mind that little kids don't eat big pieces of cake.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:05pm
post #16 of 21

I think those portion sizes the Wilton charts give ARE real - people's idea of "serving size" is completely messed up.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:14pm
post #17 of 21

Go to earlenescakes.com I thnk her serving chart is more accurate.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:34pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

I think those portion sizes the Wilton charts give ARE real - people's idea of "serving size" is completely messed up.

I have to agree, even my husband who eats like you wouldn't believe says that their servings are big enough for dessert after a meal or with ice cream.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

"Do you want to Super Size that, ma'am?" icon_confused.gif (and by the way, do y'all notice that they charge extra for super sizing it?)

tyonkovich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyonkovich Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 3:55pm
post #20 of 21

Hi All, I know this is a pretty old post, but does anybody still have the chart mentioned above? The link is not working. Prob the page was taken down? TIA

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%