Creamer In Icing

Decorating By Biya Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm by tracey1970

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:23am
post #31 of 39

I use creamer in icing quite a bit. I found a recipe that calls for coffee creamer on www.cakewalkchicago.com. The recipe is for hazelnut buttercream. You use powdered creamer and stir it into warm water. You also use a little heavy cream. But you do have to watch it or your icing will be too thin.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:35am
post #32 of 39

i think if you find non dairy creamer no refridgeration could be allowed for a limited time. but i wouldn't push it too far. i'm sure i'm wrong others will correct me soon icon_wink.gif

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 10:41am
post #33 of 39

I would like to know if it has to be refrigerated too. My guess would be to treat it like regular BC. There is milk in BC and we don't have to refrigerate that right? Still would like a second opinion if anyone else can help.

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:11pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biya

I would like to know if it has to be refrigerated too. My guess would be to treat it like regular BC. There is milk in BC and we don't have to refrigerate that right? Still would like a second opinion if anyone else can help.

Coffee Mate type creamer (liquid) doesn't "have" to be refrigerated...it's non-dairy. Most people like it cold though. icon_wink.gif As for regular BC, I use water in mine to keep from having to refrigerate...if you use milk, I believe you should refrigerate....

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:43pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirby

AND THESE ARE ALL liquid creamer right? Or can you use the powder creamer just as well? It stores better. What would be the difference?

Sorry to quote myself but Can anyone answer this question?
Can I use powder or not such a good Idea.?

As far as I know, I only use liquid creamers. I've seen a few who use powdered creamers. HTH.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:22pm
post #36 of 39

I read on baking 911 that if there is only a little milk (a few tbs) the sugar in the icing acts as a preservative.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:55pm
post #37 of 39

I've read that too. Just wanted to make sure because there are other ingredients in it, but I'm sure there are also preservatives.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:48am
post #38 of 39

What happens with the newer crisco now? YOu have to reduce the liquid alot. Can I add dry coffee creamer powder to the buttercream mixture to flavour it?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #39 of 39

I always add flavoured liquid coffee creamer to all my buttercream - the flavour possiblities are endless. I buy the liquid stuff that's in the fridge section in the grocery store. Following Sugarshack's suggestion, I use the creamer hot (nuke it) when making the buttercream. Love it! As for refrigeration, I have also read that the powdered sugar acts as a preservative for a relatively small amount of liquid. Depending on what flavour the creamer is, I will still use some vanilla extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%