Royal Icing Difficulty... (Pic Link)

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 5:22pm by KoryAK

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, I have used Royal icing before. And we have not ever gotten along. I think it must be my consistency (I've used the Wilton recipe). I find it extremely hard to pipe. It really hurts my hands to do. Am I making it wrong? Is it suppose to be that difficult to do?
My sisters Wedding Cake is coming up in a couple of months. She gave me a picture months ago but, I didn't realize until yesterday when I asked what website she found it on that all the piping on the sides is done in Royal icing. It has alot of overpiping too. I want this to be perfect for her.
Can you describe what kind of consistency it should have ~ what should it feel like? Is it that much stiffer than buttercream or decorator's icing. Is there any brand that you can buy? I'd like to get a "feel" for it....
TIA!!!
Here is a pic of the cake (I know I'm in over my head.... LOL)

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/singleImage.do?pid=ec50akaIosNrbJKwbpqhLf8R2zxrkngLNBp1v4xQp5Fd3Ig%3D

4 replies
agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 5

i use royal icing a lot and it can be a bit tough on the hands. consistency for piping should be ' stiff peak' this means no bend on the tip of a peak made with the back of a spoon. if you overfil your piping bag it can be very hard work on both your hands and your control so i use small bags. i have a couple of tips the same size so make and fill 3-4 bags and put them in an icing bag stand to keep them from drying out. i make my icing with 1/2 oz of merriwhite added to 1lb of icing sugar then add the water a spoon at a time. i usually mix it for about 15 mins on slow otherwise you get too much air in it.
hth

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 5

TX!!

So, it's not just me...royal icing is harder on the hands than buttercream....

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 5

International School of Sugarcraft says something like...

When wooden spoon is pulled out of your RI it should form a 'fine but sharp point'. Too stiff and difficult to get out of the bag and too soft piped work will lose its definition.

Just see what works best for you. I think also that that atmospheric conditions may also affect the ease with which you can pipe RI.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, RI is harder on the hands than other things. THe best advice I can give is to keep a small amount in the bag and give yourself breaks. This cake with all the over piping kind of has breaks built into it since you have to let layers set up, so thats a good thing icon_smile.gif

I did this cake a few months ago and really, really enjoyed it. It is so different from what most brides have been ordering the past few years, it was a nice change of pace. Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%