What Do I Use Instead Of Corn Syrup

Baking By sweet_as_tisse Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 2:45am by subaru

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:58am
post #1 of 8

i would like to make my own candy clay but the recipe here said to use corn syrup, the problem is, in australia we don't call it that so does anyone no if i can substitute the corn syrup for something else. could i use glucose syrup instead as that is all we seem to have down under.

thanks

7 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:03am
post #2 of 8

Corn syrup is very very thick. It is basically colorless, maybe very pale gold, sweet, and has a subtle flavor of vanilla. How thick is glucose syrup?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:03am
post #3 of 8

Hi, Matisse!

We just pondered this question a couple of weeks ago. I sent an inquiry to a chef who is the director of a food lab, and my contact at his place of employment said that he will respond as soon as he has an answer for me. Apparently it is not that easy to replace, as I have not received a response yet.

If I do get the response, I will make sure to post it for you and our friend in Switzerland.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:08am
post #4 of 8

I'd like to make note that many times corn syrup is added to another sugar, like granulated sugar, in cooking to interrupt the crystalization process. For example, if you add a little corn syrup to a fudge recipe uusing gran. sugar, it won't crystalize. The corn syrup and the gran. sugar are two difference kinds of sugar, chemically. And when combined, they won't "lock together" in crystals like one sugar used by itself.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:22am
post #5 of 8

I looked it up and it says corn syrup is called glucose syrup outside the US and canada. here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/glucose_syrup
Hope this helps. I made my first batch this spring, and had a ball making froggies!

sweet_as_tisse Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:26am
post #6 of 8

we do have golden syrup here, but it is a browny, golden color, would this be similar to corn syrup.

i guess i wont be making any candy clay today, i thought there would be a simple substitute.

thanks everyone for your replies

kylie

sweet_as_tisse Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:32am
post #7 of 8

thank you subaru

you are fantastic i looked on the web but i couldn't find a simple answer.

ok now im off to the supermarket to buy glucose syrup.

how good is cc, i would of spent god knows how long trying to figure this out and all i needed to do was ask you guys.

thanks again
kylie

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:45am
post #8 of 8

Your welcome, be sure to show us what you create!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%