Weird Email...

Business By wolfley29 Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 4:25am by wolfley29

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:06am
post #1 of 9

I just recieved an email from someone I don't know at all, asking for advice on how to start a business:

I HAVE BEEN DOING CAKES FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS AND I'M REALLY READY TO DO
IT AS A BUSINESS CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME POINTERS TO WHERE DO I
START
TO DO THE BUSINESS WHAT DO I NEED TO START. i KNOW IT'S DIFFERENT RULES
FOR DIFFERENT STATES, I'M IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA . PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT

Has anyone else received something like this? Not sure if I should be alarmed or not.

8 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:51am
post #2 of 9

thats really weird. why would someone in orlando florida email you in arkansas? it doesn't make sense, i don't think i would respond. im starting my biz soon, so im researching local cake decorators and bakeries in my city. not across the country.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:03am
post #3 of 9

I have never seen an email like that.

But I would respond the same way most of us do when the topic comes up here on CC.

Dear ....,
Rules are different for every state. The equipment you will need will depend on your state, county, and city requirements. The following are the first places I recommend you start your search in as I am not up to date with laws in Florida.
1) You need to contact your local health department.
2) You need to contact your local business department

wolfley29 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:38am
post #4 of 9

beccakelly, sorry to laugh, but AK is Alaska. That is why I was so concerned about it, being clear across the country.
leily, thank you for the response wording. I was trying to figure out a tactful way to put it, but since I have been up since 3am, I wasn't thinking clearly.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:17am
post #5 of 9

My guess is... she thinks you won't feel threatened by her questions since she is NO WHERE near being your competition in AK.

I tell people "I charge big money for that information". It is alot of info to give out and most of us learned the hard way. Good ole experience!

mpc

wolfley29 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 6:13am
post #6 of 9

mypastrychef, are you in LA? I am originally from Noble. We lived in Shreveport for awhile and then to Mansfield. I sent an email back with just the info that leily mentioned. It was weird to me, because for the business I use a different email address than my personal one, an the email came to my personal address, so not really sure how this person found me.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 9

Is your personal email here on CC? If so maybe they got it from here.

I wouldn't be too alarmed about the email. It probably is someone who is starting a business.

I have been researching businesses around here. All I have been able to get is the same info as customers - pricing, menus, etc. When I tried to ask business questions, I was faced with rude answers locally.

I have been chatting with a wonderful CC member (in another state) about the business aspects. While the health dept. requirements are different, I'm still able to discuss general business start-up with her.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 9

I also get questions from CC members to my e-mail...My first thought is that it was someone from here. Nevertheless....better to be safe than sorry.
Trust your instinct...they will get the info elsewhere if you don't answer.

wolfley29 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:25am
post #9 of 9

I did email her with the response from above, and got a thank you reply this afternoon. Forgot to change over my email address from here, so just my paranoid oops. I almost wish I had someone to ask questions about how to handle the business side of things. What to do in different situations and such.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%