Choc. Filling

Baking By kcepenney Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 9:40pm by ladyonzlake

kcepenney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcepenney Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 13

I am doing my first wedding cake testing this weekend and I need a chocolate filling to go in a chocolate cake. I have never even done a filling before so any tips would be great but I need a recipe for it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

12 replies
Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 13

I like to use a cream cheese based filling with chocolate cake.......or a ganache. Just be sure and pipe a "dam" of still buttercream just on the edge before you fill, so it won't ooze out .....you will have a terrible mess on your hands if that happens. Don't overfill either. That is the mistake that I made when I filled my first cake. It should not be over your dam.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 13

chocolate pudding, chocolate mousse, chocolate ganache all go well with chocolate cakes for a chocolate filling.
http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/stacking.cfm this helps explain filling...but I recommend that you use STIFF frosting, and don't put the filling all the way to the top of the dam, otherwise your filling will squish out.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 13

I did my first torted and filled cake this past week-end. I used choc. buttercream for one tier and strawberry jam for the other tier. They went over GREAT!!! Everyone commented on how good they were. Hope this helps.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 13

The last 2 brides both ordered Choc buttercream as a filling--It's okay with me. The choc mousse, is a pain in the you know what to make. I use IMBC with 3/4 c. baking cocoa. It is yummy and firm enough to hold up.

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 7:30am
post #6 of 13

I like to mix Nutella with Buttercream for a filling, it goes great with chocolate cake and is so yummy !!!

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 8:26am
post #7 of 13

I like to mix Nutella with Buttercream for a filling, it goes great with chocolate cake and is so yummy !!!

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:30am
post #8 of 13

I jsut use ganache. It can be whipped or jsut poured when cooled. But if you want something more try infusing some herbs or extracts when scalding the cream. I've done everything from orange peel to lavendeR(sounds weird but is very very different and tastes GREAT!).

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 11:56am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds Yummy!!! thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:11pm
post #10 of 13

Here is a recipe I posted in a different forum
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-33059.html

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretDeprived

try infusing some herbs or extracts when scalding the cream. .

Fresh tarragon goes really well with chocolate. That is what I use in my chocolate mousse. I infuse it in coffee and add it to my mousse.
A couple other weird ideas
strawberries with a fresh basil simple syrup
a strawberry and blackpeppercorn coulis. (must be made with cracked whole black peppercorns to get the true marriage of flavours)

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 13

I think a raspberry buttecream filling would taste great with a chocolate cake!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 13

I made a Baily's chocolate mouse which was delicious but a pain to make. I love whipped ganache...very easy and you could add some Baily's or your favorite liquor to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%