Help...please: Performance Pan ?s

Decorating By bodaisy Updated 18 Jul 2006 , 8:15pm by bodaisy

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 10

I'm sooo excited I just got a 16x16x2inch square performance pan. (the one with the straight edges) thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif But it came with no directions. I tried to do a google search for this size and cannot get any information on it. icon_cry.gif

Does anyone out there have any idea on the serving size and batter information? (how many cups it takes and such...) I realize I have to use a heating core (inserted flower nail) Any suggestions as to how many I may need?? AND one more question icon_wink.gif When I do make this particular size cake, should it be one or two layers???

fyi from other post i had regarding getting cake supplies from co-worker's Aunt:
I bought some more supplies and as a suprise the co-worker bought me 9 more wilton yearbooks since I've been charging her small dollar amounts on the cakes she gets icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

thank you all sooo much
brenda

9 replies
Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 10

Can't give you the info you are seeking but I can give you a *BUMP*

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 10

for batter: just mark the side of pan at 1/2 full or 2/3 full, then measure water and pour in until reach that line....and that's how much it holds

--------------

servings...well at 2x2 (that's 8 cuts to a side), it would be 64

at 2x1.5 it (thats 8 on one side and 10 on other) it's 80

at 1x1.5 (skimpy) (that's 16 on one side and 10 on the other) it's 160.

---------------

not sure on # of nails, one for sure and maybe up to four (at 4x4 points in cake)

-------------

one or two layers....your choice, clients choice.

my choice >>> MORE cake! so two of course

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 10

I have that size pan and have only used it twice, once for a church anniversary cake and the stacked Spiderman crawling on the city.

I used 4 boxes of mix...I like to have high layers and 4 nails.

Trying to torte that size is going to give you heartaches. If I were you, I would do the two layer instead.

I used my oven grate as a cooling rack.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

bodaisy Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

for batter: just mark the side of pan at 1/2 full or 2/3 full, then measure water and pour in until reach that line....and that's how much it holds

--------------

servings...well at 2x2 (that's 8 cuts to a side), it would be 64

at 2x1.5 it (thats 8 on one side and 10 on other) it's 80

at 1x1.5 (skimpy) (that's 16 on one side and 10 on the other) it's 160.

---------------

not sure on # of nails, one for sure and maybe up to four (at 4x4 points in cake)

-------------

one or two layers....your choice, clients choice.

my choice >>> MORE cake! so two of course

so the servings are based on ONE layer?...

btw.. ya gotta stop changing the avatar icon_wink.gif I had to look twice as to who it was... I really like this one you have!! LOL

OK...another question.. when you are going over a serving chart w/a customer what "in your opinion" would you suggest is the "standard" size slice. One that's not too small, but yet not so big your making more cake than you should..

thank you soooo much
brenda

bodaisy Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

I have that size pan and have only used it twice, once for a church anniversary cake and the stacked Spiderman crawling on the city.

I used 4 boxes of mix...I like to have high layers and 4 nails.

Trying to torte that size is going to give you heartaches. If I were you, I would do the two layer instead.

I used my oven grate as a cooling rack.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

oven grate...never thought of that.. thumbs_up.gif when you used the 4 cake mixes.. did you have the cake come completely to the top of the pan w/the hump or a hump with the cake a little lower than the top of the pan?? I level my cakes w/the wilton leveler (I used to smoosh, but I don't do that anymore)

thank you sooo much
brenda

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaisy

btw.. ya gotta stop changing the avatar icon_wink.gif I had to look twice as to who it was... I really like this one you have!! LOL

OK...another question.. when you are going over a serving chart w/a customer what "in your opinion" would you suggest is the "standard" size slice. One that's not too small, but yet not so big your making more cake than you should..

thank you soooo much
brenda

yes, based on one layer (or torted one layer)

on sizes: I ask...any other dessert being served?
if yes, then the 1x2 is fine (but oh so skimpy)
more realistic is 1.5x2
but face it, most will cut 2x2
(let's face it, in this ever expanding wasteline culture...3x3 is even more realistic!)

1.5x2 (what wilton calls Party size) is the good compromise for estimating.
and if really want to be safe add 10% more (pretty standard in food industry).

-----------
re: avatar -- thanks...isn't lisa so nice (bear got sent to naughty corner!)

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 10

I'm a smoocher icon_lol.gif

Sometimes I get a little hump but I smooch it down. I add more batter to the corners to get it pretty even.

I collar my pans so that it won't run over.

bodaisy Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaisy

thank you soooo much
brenda

yes, based on one layer (or torted one layer)

on sizes: I ask...any other dessert being served?
if yes, then the 1x2 is fine (but oh so skimpy)
more realistic is 1.5x2
but face it, most will cut 2x2
(let's face it, in this ever expanding wasteline culture...3x3 is even more realistic!)

1.5x2 (what wilton calls Party size) is the good compromise for estimating.
and if really want to be safe add 10% more (pretty standard in food industry).

-----------
re: avatar -- thanks...isn't lisa so nice (bear got sent to naughty corner!)

i see you do have a point re: the cake slices. When people tell me how big they cut the cake slices I just about die!!! I mean I love cake, but to sit down and eat a gigantic piece is just not something I can do. My slice size and the customer's is considerally different. I truly appreciate you breaking it down for me and it makes it easier to accommodate the customer.

Yea.. Lisa is great and EVEN though the bear was cute.... icon_lol.gif he was showing up in places he shouldn't have been.. HEHEHEEEE icon_wink.gif

thanks
b

bodaisy Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Sometimes I get a little hump but I smooch it down. I add more batter to the corners to get it pretty even.

what do you mean exactly... sounds kinda cool...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%