How Do I Paint W/gold Dust?

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 2:33pm by Katskakes

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 12

I think i might be painting scroll on mmf cake. First and last time i used silver dust i used it on bc, so it was a bit easier. I didn't know better so i used water. It applied, just not so great. This time is a paid cake and i want it to look great! What's the best way to do this? i already saw the article on piping gold dust. but still not sure which i wanna do.
thanks,
Kat

11 replies
TabathaRubio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabathaRubio Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 12

Hi Kat,

i hope someone answers because I an wondering the same thing. I know this may sound silly but I have heard to mix it with Alcohol. Do they mean rubbing alcohol or liquor????

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 12

To paint with the dust you will want to add a small amount of somthing alcohol based like lemon extract or just use straight alcohol like vodka or rum. The alcohol will evaporate and dry quickly. Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

Katskakes Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks! i have read a few times about using alcohol. Which i guess i'll have to go purchase. I don't drink and don't use it in foods or deserts. so i don't keep it around. i was hoping for another solution. Also, how much of each do i add? just a few drops to make it moist/wet?

thanks again!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 12

I WANT TO KNOW ALSO,

SO HERES A

BUMP

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 12

Katskakes - lemon extract will work also. I believe a majority of extracts are alcohol based anyway. Personally vodka my liquid of choice. But here is a tip I wished someone had told me......I used a small Pyrex cup and should have used something I could cover other than using tin foil, because once you use it, you can keep reusing it by adding additional liquid after it dries out......another trick is using an eye dropper cause you don't need a lot of liquid.......

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 12

I either mix the dust with vodka or pure almond extract and use it as a paint. Once the mixture dries in the bowl or whatever you were using to mix, just add a little more of your alcohol based liquid and mix again. Also, once it dries, you can scrape it back into dust and put back into your dust container.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 12

i watched a short clip on window media player yesterday from a website and what she did was put a little dust in a small cup and some vodka in another cup and used a brush to dip in the vodka and then the dust. she just kept doing this until the dust turned into a paste.

sorry can't remember what site it was, maybe you could google search " how to use luster dust" something may come up.

kylie

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:02am
post #9 of 12

i did it the first time 2 weeks ago...i used a few drops of lemon and it turned out real good..have not tried vodka or other extract yet.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:04am
post #10 of 12

I too have been wondering about the proportions of dust to liquid. For a cake last weekend, I used lemon extract with gold dust, and tried to make it the consistency of paint, whihc is what someone said to do. It really didn't work at all (on MMF). The only time I've been successful with it was straight from the jar on newly molded chocolate candies. I am really eager to hear the best solution for this. Thanks - PAT

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:29am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katskakes

Thanks! i have read a few times about using alcohol. Which i guess i'll have to go purchase. I don't drink and don't use it in foods or deserts. so i don't keep it around. i was hoping for another solution. Also, how much of each do i add? just a few drops to make it moist/wet?

thanks again!

You can use clear vanilla extract too.

btw, I also don't drink and I love using vodka, because it is oderless, and dries very fast. I bought myself one of those small little bottles, and it has lasted me a long time!

I just mix a little with my dust and away I go!

Katskakes Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all for the help! i guess i'll keep this in mind for next time. i was supposed to make a cake for this saturday using the gold dust. Well it was just cancelled. It would have been my 2nd paid cake. No biggie to me. Just sucks that i find out, cause i asked my SIL if she was going to the party. (it's her sister's party) she said yes. And oh i forgot to tell you, the mother is buying the cake. OK thanks for the noticed! had i not asked her if she's going, i prolly would have wasted a darn good well decorated cake. Not that it'll ever go to waste. but the decos would have. blah.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%