How To Melt White Chocolate

Decorating By mid Updated 18 Jul 2006 , 7:11am by fearlessbaker

mid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mid Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:12am
post #1 of 11

Could anybody guide me on how to melt white chocolate.

I did a few times using double boiling, it melted but ones I put Wilton food colouring the melted white chocolate turns 'paste like' immediately. I tried putting in the microwave and it got burn. icon_sad.gif

10 replies
shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:16am
post #2 of 11

i dont know what its called but at my craft store they sell lecithin for chocolate. you add a tsp or so and the chocolate melts really nice and it thins out the chocolate so your chocolate lasts longer. with the lecithin its like your chocolate doubles. you just put it on the double boiler and when it starts to melto add the lecithin.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:21am
post #3 of 11

Are you using real white chocolate? If you are, you can't use the wilton colors to color your chocolate...you're seizing your chocolate (causing the paste like consistency) To color the chocolate, you need to use something oil based or powders. Nothing water based. You can add shortening and then add the wilton, and it'll be fine, but you can't temper it after that, if that's what you're trying to do.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:21am
post #4 of 11

you have to use coloring specifically made for chocolate/melts which are oil based - regular coloring is water based and will cause the chocolate/melts to sieze up, which was the result you got.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:23am
post #5 of 11

Are you using icing coloring or candy coloring Wilton gels? I am not certain, but that may make a difference. I actually tried it with the icing gels and had a problem too. I didn't have enough time to go out again and buy and try the candy coloring stuff so I just added in the other colors of candy melts that they make to achieve the color I wanted (I needed peachy fleshtones, so I melted the white over the double boiler and quickly added and stirred in orange until I got the color I wanted).

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:23am
post #6 of 11

Okay, first of all, if you are using the gel pastes for cakes to color your chocolate, stop. You need an oil based coloring agent to do this (Wilton does sell candy colors). Or you can use powdered colors.
You can go buy lecitin or palm oil for to thin your chocolate when it seizes up, but you can also use Crisco. Add Crisco until you get the consistency you like. Make sure that when you use your double boiler that the water just touches the bottom of the pan with the chocolate, otherwise it will generate too much steam. Remember, you don't have to boil water to melt chocolate, just heat it up.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:31am
post #7 of 11

When your chocolate seizes you can also heat up a couple tbls of cream and then add it to the seized chocolate to bring it back

mid Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:17am
post #8 of 11

OMG...Thanks so much for your kindness. U people really make my day... Luv You All icon_lol.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:30am
post #9 of 11

If it is the melts use the micro at 15 sec intervals until you become familiar with what works for you. Remember that the chocolate will hold it's shape untill you stir it. Maybe you think it isn't done when it is. If it is really seized up the trick is if you put a little liquid in it gets worse. Putting more in makes it usable again--- but perhaps for something else. This is something you have to experiment with. People use paramount crystals to thin it out. I think it is just shortening cut into flakes.

mid Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:53am
post #10 of 11

Ok...1 more question...if I add lecithin/crisco/shortening will the milk chocolate harden after that coz I am using this to ice the cookies.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 7:11am
post #11 of 11

I have never used it to frost cookies. But yes, it should harden because this is what some people use to make molded candy and molded candy boxes. I have never used Crisco or shortening in my melts. You shouldn't have to if it hasn't seized. Try it on a cookie or two or maybe just smear some on a piece of parchment to see how that works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%