Billing/invoicing/statement Software???

Business By Doug Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 11:42pm by Doug

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 13

advice needed from those who create bills, invoices and statements for their cake business....

what do you use and why?

Quickbooks?
Quicken Home & Business?
Access?
Word & Excel?

12 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 13

I like to use Microsoft Word and Excel because it is way easier to create a form (for me personally) for what I want. Not to mention you can put formulas into excel so that when you enter info in, it will automatically compute stuff for you.
I really like Microsoft Publisher to make nice business forms and stuff.

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 13

Quickbooks, because it has forms, tracks everything and reminds you hasn't paid systematically...my head is too full of frosting to know if everything has been paid on time to and from me. Also, helpful at tax time, just give a copy to the accountant and they are good to go.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunCakesVT

Quickbooks, because it has forms, tracks everything and reminds you hasn't paid systematically...my head is too full of frosting to know if everything has been paid on time to and from me. Also, helpful at tax time, just give a copy to the accountant and they are good to go.

Same here..I use the small version of quickbooks (that doesn't have payroll on it...) I love it. especailly for weddings, when they will book it months ahead of time!!

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunCakesVT

Same here..I use the small version of quickbooks (that doesn't have payroll on it...) I love it. especailly for weddings, when they will book it months ahead of time!!

does that mean it has a calendar function that can be used for bookings?

loriemoms Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

does that mean it has a calendar function that can be used for bookings?

I beleive it does, i will have to look! The invoicing section allows you to set up accounts for all your customers, so you can keep a running balance. So if they pay a deposit, you can apply that to the invoice, keep track of refundable deposits (like for tiers and things like that) and lets you do reports so you can send out invoices. It also allows you to keep a listing of vendors, and I use this part as kind of an inventory (time to reorder fondant!) things like that. You can even do receipts, if you don't want to do an invoice...All customizable, with your logo and address and such. They look very professional.

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 13

hmmm...looking like Quickbooks is the way to go.

thanks all for the advice!!! (esp. LM)

----------

if anyone has more to add --- Please! do!

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 13

Quickbooks is the way to go. I already have it on my computer because my husband is a contractor, so I use for his business stuff. However I think they done away with the quickbooks basic. Thats what we had originally and we had to upgrade to Quickbooks PRo. But I do highly recommend it.

loriemoms Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredtonya

Quickbooks is the way to go. I already have it on my computer because my husband is a contractor, so I use for his business stuff. However I think they done away with the quickbooks basic. Thats what we had originally and we had to upgrade to Quickbooks PRo. But I do highly recommend it.

I bought quickbooks simple start about 6 months ago...99 bucks. (DONT get the 49 dollar version...it is really just a demo version and you will see people selling it like crazy on Ebay). I was able to find it at staples.

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product/accounting_software/windows_financial_management_software.jhtml

Quickbooks Pro is a few hundred bucks and the only difference is that it has payroll in it and tracking credit cards. Don't need that anytime soon! hahaha!

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 13

ok...back w/ another question.

since my version of quicken died (no longer supported, have to upgrade)

which would be better:

> Quicken Home & Business Edition
> Quickbooks Simple Start

(oy, the adventures of starting a business!!!!!)

jewels97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels97 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 13

I would vote for Quick Books. It just seems to be easier to set up and much more geared toward business. You will be happier with it in the long run I think.

loriemoms Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 13

Doug:

I started out with Quicken home and business, and really love it (I still do my banking using it for my personal accounts) It allows invoicing and such, and keeps a nice register of taxes you need to keep track of. But it doesn't have vendor tracking and customer tracking. So it depends on what you are interested in. If you just want to do banking and invoices, quicken home and busines will work fine for you!! I like keeping track of how much I am spending on different orders and it also helps my old brain "Now where did I get this again" memory lapses!

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks Loreimoms for the direct comparison.

And thanks again to all of you for the input...

now time to get quickbooks and do a little, make that a lot of inputing of my own!!!

(how is it an english/theatre/speech major ends up having to do SO much bookkeeping (church treasurer!! and now business)?????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%