Garage/yard Sales

Decorating By carleen2140 Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 6:05pm by SugarBakerz

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:35am
post #1 of 14

I just viewed "good36" buy that she got from a yard sale, and may I add a good deal too, in this forum.
That made me wonder, how many of you find things at garage/yard sales?
Most sales I go to have clothing, stuff animals, and kids toys or furniture.
I stopped going, but after seeing her find I might think of going again.

Do you ever find items to use for baking, decorating, etc?

13 replies
sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:12am
post #2 of 14

I usually find good stuff at estate auctions. Usually they will sell a huge box of baking items or you might even find a KA. Not all of them are good, but sometimes you get a really good find. Also my MIL used to volunteer at the Salvation Army thrift store and would bring me home bunches of stuff. Candy molds, cookie sheets, pans, etc... Once she found me this awsome commercial muffin pan that bakes 24 at a time. It comes in handy for birthdays. That way I don't have to use multiple pans to get them done.

emhurston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emhurston Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:20am
post #3 of 14

Just yesterday I was at our recycling center and some lady was about to toss 5 perfectly good Wilton shaped and character pans in the metal recycling bin. My car came to a screeching halt and I went running after her yelling "Stop, stop". She was happy to give them to me, I am happy to have them, and I gave everyone there their laugh for the day. Just goes to show that you always have to keep your eyes open. icon_biggrin.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:29am
post #4 of 14

YOWZA I Have hit the jackpot MANY times over at garage sales- I've amassed a huge amount of plastic molds, stencils, cookie cutters of all shapes and sizes, some wilton products-cake stands/pillars, cutting mats (or whatever they're called that are rolled up and have the size chart on them lol), cake pans coming out of the yin yang (as many good quality ones out there as bad ones- I've lucked out and found good quality ones)

never stops, i always find somethiing

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:39am
post #5 of 14

I've all but stopped going to yard sales = too much work for little return. I've been finding all of my good deals at the local thrift stores. They are all just like a big community yard sale.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 14

Just this past weekend I found a yard sale with quite a few character pans for $5cdn, cake plates, pillars, old Wilton yearbooks, stand up bear pans, etc. And the great thing with yard sales is the bartering thumbs_up.gif

dolphins256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphins256 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 14

I found a square magic line cake pan and the woman sold it to me for $1. She was selling all her cake stuff for $1, I guess she just wanted to get rid of it all. That was the best deal I ever got and my first magic line cake pan.

Adrienne0317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrienne0317 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 14

I all ways look at the yard sales and such and never find a think, it is my husband who has the charm. He is a truck driver and he has been known to pull over when spotting them! Nearly half of my Wilton Shape Pans are a result of his "trips".

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 12:42am
post #9 of 14

My MIL found this cake stand at a garage sale for about $10. My SIL made this cake for our wedding and used the stand. Great find! All three of us share cake supplies.
LL

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 12:52am
post #10 of 14

with gas prices it is much too pricey to be driving around but i do still stop at garage sales i bump into while running errands nothing i can't see or i might get lost lookingfor the house, i ebay a lot

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:04am
post #11 of 14

True, gas prices aren't what they used to be. I map out the garage sales- and dont bother with the ones way out of my way unless I need to go that way anyway after. It's still a huge savings when you pay a dollar for a good cake pan plus a few cents gas, versus the shipping costs and/or driving to the store to buy a brand new one. Like this past SAturday I picked up about 60 dollars worth of square separator plates, pillars, and wedding bells for 3 dollars. Plus maybe 1 dollar for the gas I spent -there is no way that is a bad deal lol.

The lady who did my Wilton Level 1 final class with me (one on one cause no one else showed up- gosh that rocked, it was a custom 2 hour session for me) said she bought her KA pro on eBay for well under 100 bucks and then about the same for shipping but by the time she added some missing accessories, huge savings. Not sure I'm that brave yet- but she says she buys stuff on eBay all the time. I might venture and try that out one day lol

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 14

I've gotten some good deals at estate sales, though I just don't go very often. My sister will come into town, and that's when I go. We both like to see what we can find. My best deals came from someone I know who was getting rid of most of her cake decorating stuff. I have boxes and boxes of cake plates, pillars, etc. because of her!

JoMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMarie Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 14

My sister is a yard sale "junkie". She is always on the look out for any type of Wilton products for me. We have found 3 round stackable cake pans never opened for $5 - we got 4 character cake pans (never used) for $5. The best find ever is my MIL works at the local Alumni Center which has receptions on a regular basis. The cater was throwing away columns, round plastic cake plates, etc from a wedding cake - they gave it all to her for free. I love to find a good bargin!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 14

I have found many great pans at sales... but my fav find lately has been a cute plate stand that is turqoise and lime green polka dot and plaid... I am hoping do a baby shower on it soon, so I can display it... I love it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%