Success In The Mail!!!

Decorating By adven68 Updated 1 Nov 2006 , 6:11am by TrinaH

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:54am
post #1 of 18

If you remember, a couple of days ago I mailed 2 of my cakes.....I got a message on my answering machine today that they arrived perfectly! Yay! This opens up a whole new door! I pm'd someone the following packaging details, for whoever is interested.....

I mailed two small cakes in one box. The bases of the cakes were approximately the same size as the bottom of the box. I just happened to have found one that suited my needs just right!
So, I put a layer of styrofoam on the bottom of the box...put the cakes in (they are wrapped in saran wrap to keep them clean). Their bases keep them from shifting. Then I cut pieces of styrofoam to fit around the cakes and "box" them in. Then I took a sheet of soft styrofoam that is used for packing, and I rolled it and filled in the gaps between the bow and the styrofoam. I folded up another styrofoam sheet and put it on top and then placed another piece of the solid styrofoam across the whole top. The pieces that are boxing in the cakes actually hold up the top piece of styrofoam. Then I closed the box, wrapped it in craft paper and brought it to the post office. They charged $35.00 for overnight delivery from NY to VA. The cakes really don't move, unless they are thrown to the ground, I think they will survive.
I think you can only do this with fondant cakes. I guess with buttercream, you might be able to freeze it and purchase some dry ice to ship it with?.

17 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:58am
post #2 of 18

Adven68--you are so clever.

I see greater things in the future for you.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:01am
post #3 of 18

Do you happen to have pictures of your designs.

I also included a link to a cake that I made and shipped over a 1000 miles.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=regymusic&cat=0&pos=18

BTW, absolutely love all of your cakes.

adven68 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:03am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by regymusic

Do you happen to have pictures of your designs.

I also included a link to a cake that I made and shipped over a 1000 miles.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=regymusic&cat=0&pos=18

BTW, absolutely love all of your cakes.

Thank you so much....and yours is very nice as well....the ones that I mailed were the gold swirly purse cake and the pink gift cake.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:10am
post #5 of 18

Wow, I'm impressed. In general I have been afraid to ship cakes through the general post office. You have given me new hope.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 6:22am
post #6 of 18

Wow! Great cake! You are one brave lady to attempt mailing your beautiful cake. I live overseas and would have no trust in them whatsoever. Kudos on your great packing job!

I mailed home 3 cuckooo clocks from Germany one time and when I arrived and saw the condition of the box, I was furious! I wrote on it fragile and someone had deliberately stomped a huge deep boot print into it. Then to make matters worse it had been rained on and when the post man delivered it, it was left on MIL's porch sideways. Good thing I packed it well and not one clock was damaged. So nah-nah to you, whomever you are that stomped my box! icon_twisted.gif

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 18

I just made my first attempt at mailing a cake!

Adven68 kindly directed me to this thread the other day.

I mailed the pale blue package cake in my photos.
I think I packed it well enough that it won't get damaged (barring getting thrown across the room), but who knows?

I'm so anxious to find out what happens. I sent it to my best friend as a surprise. She has frequently lamented that I am never around to make her a birthday cake.

I sent it yesterday evening and used FedEx 2-day, so it should get there tomorrow afternoon, on her birthday.

I can't wait!

Holly

adven68 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 18

Holly, how much did fesex charge you, if you don't mind me asking....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 18

I mailed the picket fence cake in my pics and it arrived perfectly too.......I think the most important part is to pack the cake so it doesn't shift around inside the box! I did like adven only I put the smaller box inside of a larger one (what? I was scared!) adn then put packing peanuts all around the smaller box and sent it that way.....I sent mine through DHL and it only cost 8 dollars to send from NJ to Ohio! pretty cheap....the cake in my photos was a 10"double layer for size reference.

HollyPJ Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 18

KHalstead- That's cheap! How long did it take?

Adven68- It cost $17 (approx) to send it from Utah to California. It weighed about 6.5 pounds. It was an 8-inch square.

I packaged it kind of like KHalstead did because I didn't have foam like Adven68 recommended. (I called dh at work to ask him to bring me some packing material and he said, "I threw that all out yesteday!" Argh!). I put the cake in a pink cake box, using duct tape to attach the cake board to the bottom of the box. The box was a 10-inch and so was the cake board. Then, I covered the cake gently with 2 layers of tissue paper and filled the cake box to the top with packing peanuts. I taped the cake box closed, then put it in a larger cardboard box on several layers of bubble wrap. The cake box fit perfectly in one dimension, but there were about 4 inches on either end. I filled those spaces with packing peanuts, up to the top of the cake box, then put 3 layers of bubble wrap on top, then more packing peanuts.
I figure the only way the cake will be damaged is if it's left upside down for a long time and it comes off the cake board. I put "this end UP" all over the box, so I'm hoping that won't happen.

HollyPJ Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 18

That picket fence cake is cute! I love the painted grass.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 18

HollyPJ it was there in 2 or 3 days......just standard mail......and actually my mom got it on a friday and saved it until Monday and took it to work and she said it was the most delicious cake she'd ever had......she said everyone freaked out when she told them I mailed it from New Jersey.....they all said they would have bet it was made that day fresh!!! So evidentally mmf seals that cake up......I mean I made it the day I mailed it......but still.......they didn't eat it until like 5 days later and this was during April that I mailed it.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 18

I do a fair amount of mailing - mostly to Florida - so far Thank God they all have arrived in tacted.
I used UPS cost $60-$75 for next day- clients pay for all mailing!

I freeze the cakes, they are packed in thermo insulated boxes with dry ice. To get the right boxes was another learning experience- yikes!

Very nerve wracking but, worth it! icon_cool.gif

I', happy to see that your babies make it in tact! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

HollyPJ Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 18

I thought it was illegal to mail dry ice. ??

HollyPJ Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:27pm
post #15 of 18

Well, my best friend called about an hour ago, squealing! lol

The cake arrive mostly intact. It slid a little on the cake board, knowing most of the pearls off.

I did kind of a dumb thing. I put a big smear of royal icing under to the cake it hold it onto the board, not thinking about the fact that the oil in the cake would not only never let it get hard, but would probably break it down and let the cake slide. Oh well! At least the cake didn't fall apart. And the bow and tag stayed put.

I will definitely try this again!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:39pm
post #16 of 18

Hey Irene!

Thanks for the info. I wanted to send cakes out to AZ this holiday season, to my cousin's children, and now I know how!

And --When are we going to see pics from your entries at the Bakery Expo?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 8:06am
post #17 of 18

I have couriered a couple of cakes and they have arrived intact. I am always concered because as the saying goes, mark it "Fragile" and they break it, mark it "Priorty" and they loose it! My cakes are fondant covered and I try not to put on too high of decorations. It's always a relief when you get that call to say they have arrived safely.

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 6:11am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

I thought it was illegal to mail dry ice. ??

Nope, actually thats one of the most common lay person uses for it. We have a dry ice manufacturer here in my town. You can go get like 14 lbs (wayyyy too much for any one person LOL) for $4 and they have instruction sheets for how to use it for mailing items that need refridgeration

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%