Wedding Cake Stand Ideas

Decorating By melissablack Updated 17 Jul 2006 , 4:59pm by tye

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:34am
post #1 of 8

I've heard of people using plant stands, etc.. for wedding cakes, where do you go to find stuff like this? I'm trying to find something nice to put my sister's wedding cake on and i don't want to have to rent a plain old stand for 50$. Any ideas? I saw one idea where ppl used a mirror to set the cake on. Where would I find a plain round mirror with nicely finished edges? TIA
Melissa icon_smile.gif

7 replies
regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:49am
post #2 of 8

Just an idea...
If you like silver plateau stands, you can make your own by covering a styrofoam 3 to 4 in round with either molded fondant or gumpaste designs. Then paint the design with silver luster dust. Or you can dry brush the luster dust on and when dry steam it over a tea kettle to give high shine. HTH.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:52am
post #3 of 8

Try a home improvement center or call a glass/ mirror fabricators shop and ask about the cost of a beveled edged mirror the size you want. Also consider Target, Wal-mart or other discount houses that carry home decorator items. Depending on the weight of your cake you would need to reinforce the mirror with a solid board base.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:53am
post #4 of 8

We have now found 6 of our stands at TJ Maxx / Ross type stores. Very cheap and beautiful. I have also had a mirror cut at a local glass and mirror shop. We go a cheap on when the wrong size was cut for someone else. There is silver metal tape that can go along the edge so it looks finished and its not sharp, I saw it at Lowes/Home Depot. Good luck!

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:53am
post #5 of 8

My aunt used candle sticks(the ones you put candles in). She had 3 different sizes that she used. She used 4 of each and put a hatbox lid painted the color she wanted on top of each. Then put the cake plates on that. This may not make much sense. I think I have a picture of it if that would help.

JuLinda

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 8

Here's an idea-go to Home Depot, buy a piece of compressed particle board type material that's precut to a circle that is at least one inch thick. Then cover it with silver wrapping paper and then clear contact paper. You could use any type of wilton's 3" pillars or buy at least 4-5 silver candlestick holders to lift it off the table some..you can then put flowers or ribbon or tulle underneath of that to help it stand out!
I am including a pic of a cake that I did a couple of months ago to help explain what I mean.
LL

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 8

This is my favorite cake board........the white base is actually a vase that I bought at a flea market for .50, then I used F26 to glue a piece of plywood to the top........covered it with a pink plastic tablecloth, then trimmed with ribbon and trim. Easy and very inexpensive.
LL

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 8

i use partical board that is cut about 2 inches larger than the bottom tier.. and my mother makes these satin covers that have elastic that fit over the edges and makes them beautiful.. i used it on the last wedding cake i did, you have to look past the flowers...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%