Bulk Cake Mixes

Decorating By littleredtonya Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm by qtcakes

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 19

Do any of you know if Sam's carrys cake mixes by the bulk. Or any place that may. Where do large cake places get theirs.

18 replies
Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 19

My grandfather-in-law says he knows a place in Tennessee where you can buy cake supplies in bulk. We are going to try to go down there sometime this month. He says he knows where it is but can't remember the name. Oh well, he is 85. If it's as great as he says it is then i'll post and if you live near there then maybe you could go or order by mail. I'll let everyone know.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks, great infomation.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 19

I just came back from my local GFS (gordon's food supply) and they have 5 lb. boxes of chocolate, yellow, and white cake mixes for $6.69 or so.

Don't know about Sams or Costco, but if there is a GFS, they have bulk cake mixes and they can order Sweetex Hi - Ratio shortening.

They also had powdered sugar (6X) 25 lbs of it for 14.99. I guess that is good.???

They have everything food-wise. Maybe it will become my favorite new store, other than Michaels of course! icon_lol.gif

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 19

Smart & Final has them in bulk

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordee

My grandfather-in-law says he knows a place in Tennessee where you can buy cake supplies in bulk. We are going to try to go down there sometime this month. He says he knows where it is but can't remember the name. Oh well, he is 85. If it's as great as he says it is then i'll post and if you live near there then maybe you could go or order by mail. I'll let everyone know.

Let me know when you find out please. thumbs_up.gif

susieq76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq76 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 19

I don't recognize ANY of thoses stores LOL- I can tell you this much- Costco & BJs in Long Island do not have cake mixes in bulk- and the largest size powdered sugar is 4lbs!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 19

When my local grocery stores have DH cake mixes on sale, I call the grocery manager and order cases, cases, and more cases (icon_biggrin.gif) of them. He orders them from the warehouse and I pick them up a few days later. I've never had any problems doing this. The grocery managers are always very accomodating with my requests, which is wonderful.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 19

I have a store near me where I can get a case of 5 lb cake mixes for around $15.00 I bought a case of white cake mixes and I got two boxes of yellow mix for a dollar each. They also have tubs of frostings and got a whole bunch of tube fillings for less than $2.00 each. They are now in my deep freeze.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 19

I'm curious how the bulk cake mixes taste and if they turn out good. We might be going to GFS this coming week, so maybe I'll buy one of the bulk boxes and try it. Probably the neat thing about that is you can use 1/2 mixes if needed as oppose to opening a new box for part of the mix.

debsuewoo Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 19

Well, the mixes I bought are Krusteze and you are just supposed to add water, but I'm expecting to doctor them up and trying them that way. I didn't buy any of the frosting though. 2 1/2 gallon tubs of frosting is way beyond what I would consider using (I do prefer scratch over store bought icing). What I was disappointed in is the fact that they didn't carry fondant, but Fondant isn't all that big here in my area from what I'm seeing.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:10pm
post #12 of 19

Sam's Club doesn't sell cake mixes in bulk. It would be nice though. I buy my cake mixes from Walmart for 88 cents a piece.

debsuewoo Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 19

The problem I have with Wal-mart is the fact that they never have enough on the shelf. And the people who staff our local Walmart are the most useless bunch of people on earth! If you are lucky enough to find one they either don't work in that department or they look at you as if you just spoke Greek to them. When it first opened about 2 years ago, everyone was enthusiastic about working there and went the extra mile for the customer, but it has since changed managers and has gone downhill fast.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:21pm
post #14 of 19

Debsuewoo: If the mixes say to only add water, would you still add oil to it if you're doctoring it up? I know the extender recipes on here say to add the ingredients on the box plus other stuff. Not sure if having no oil would make a big difference. I'm guess if you use an extender recipe that uses butter instead of oil that maybe that would work better.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:06pm
post #15 of 19

I wish I knew the cheapest cake mix I can get is DH for $.76 at my local Crest, powdered sugar is $3.67 for a 7lb. bag

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:19am
post #16 of 19

Funny this subject should come up today. i just bought a 5 lb bag from Cake Art in Atlanta (love them) and I was testing it today. I must say I was not expecting to receive a mix that you only add water to. In my ignorance I was thinking it would be like a 5 lb bag of Duncan hines or something.

Anyway, i usually use the enhanced cake formula where you add sour cream, flour, sugar, water, butter, egg, and salt. so that is what i did with this mix. I loved the fact that I could cut the mix down. It said to use 1.2lbs for 2 9" so i used 1/2 and only made 2 6" which is what I wanted. i thought I would test in on myself (making my own bday cake like most of us, my dh says i am a snob and he can't buy me cakenow! icon_redface.gif ).

So it rose nicely and cooled flat on top (i use parchment on bottom, nothing on sides and no baking strips). It holds together nicely, not too crumbly or anything. However....it tastes like a grocery store cake, a BAD grocery store cake. It tastes flat and stale and I just made it hours ago! i am SOOO disappointed, i thought this would be a great way to cut down on waste. But no!
So I guess I am going to use it for cake truffles and for a dummy cake I need for a consignment show I am doing. But I will nto be serving it out to anyone.

Does anyone know of bag mixes that are more than the just add water kind? Thanks for the tips.

Have a great weekend,

Julia

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:03am
post #17 of 19

Restaurant Depot also sells bulk cake mix, just add water. They sell 10x sugar by the case, 24 1lb boxes for about $18. Membership is free but you must have a tax id number.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:11am
post #18 of 19

I tried the GFS (Gordon's Food Service) 5-lb cake mix and I didn't like it either ..... and I'm a mix baker! acookieobsession is right .... they are bad. I am NOT putting my name on a cake like this.

You can ask Sam's if they can order boxes/cases of anything for you. If they can't, they'll tell you. I did find out that they are not allowed to carry Walmart Brand anything. (I thought I could get some walmart brand stuff even cheaper thru Sam's...... no go!) Anyway .... back to Sam's: they have someone who is responsible for working with small businesses. Ask at the customer service desk for this person's name. The lady I work with at my store is very helpful.

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm
post #19 of 19

i know when you buy from walmart, they will replace it with more, increasing the amount. they will special order for you, you need to ask the foods manager.
wheni bought franch vanilla, i would always buy the shelf out, so they have increased it to double the amount now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%