Center Dowel Rod Needed?

Decorating By Carson Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 2:51am by Carson

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 23

I am making a 6" round cake that is 5" high (2 2" and 1 1" layer) with daisies attached to wires stuck in the middle. This cake was ordered for the weekend. My question is do I have to put a dowel rod in the middle? I was reading about the cake and it said to put one in. I'm not sure if it is necessary. If it is necessary, I was hoping you guys could tell me why, is it because of the 3 layers or the flowers?

22 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 23

I believe u only need it for multiple tiered cakes

Carson Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 23

THanks, this is what I thought. The instructions said this and I wasn't sure of the reason. I don't want to ignore something that is important!

cruizze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cruizze Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 23

I think it's for the flowers. The wire would just tear the cake, especially if you weigh it down with things dangling from the wire.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 23

When in doubt, I always dowel. Since your cake is 5" high, I would go ahead and dowel, since you will have the added weight of the flowers and since I assume that the customer will be picking up. You never know how they will drive/handle the cake.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 23

When in doubt, I always dowel. Since your cake is 5" high, I would go ahead and dowel, since you will have the added weight of the flowers and since I assume that the customer will be picking up. You never know how they will drive/handle the cake.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 23

I agree with yh9080

Carson Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:50am
post #8 of 23

I was thinking that Cruizze. So what is the trick to this? How would a dowel rod prevent the wires from cutting through the cake?

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:12am
post #9 of 23

Hi, the center dowel in the middle is meant for the cake to stay stable, so that it won´t slide. I don´t think it has anything to do with the flowers on wires, I always put these wires in a straw, so that they won´t move inside the cake or carve it.
For such a high cake I would also seperate the tiers in different layers and use dowels in between them.

Goodluck with your cake, sounds really nice the design!!

Pd. sorry for my bad english, I am Dutch icon_smile.gif

Carson Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 23

Ok guys, so what if I used a straw through the middle? Would that not "stabilize" the layers and give me something to put the wire into so they don't cut the cake up? A lot of people use straws instead of dowels (however, I have never) so I am! Thanks for all your help, I love CC!!

Carson Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 23

Just giving myself a bump! I will obsess until I know! icon_lol.gif

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 23

Yes, a straw through the middle would be perfect for what you are trying to do. Would love to see a pic when you finish. I've been wanting to do a simple, elegant 'tall' cake lately for some reason. icon_smile.gif

Carson Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 23

I will post a picture! I encouraged this cake to the client because I wanted to try it! LOL. He was going to get one that I've done before, but I really wanted something different!

Carson Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 23

Thanks for all your help! Here is a pic of the finished cake as promised! I think it turned out good, but most important the customer thought it was great! thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 23

Very cute!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:38am
post #16 of 23

love it!! Great job.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:24am
post #17 of 23

That is so cute! I love your use of colors!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #18 of 23

I love it! Your daisies are so pretty...no wonder you wanted to do that cake=) Jen

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 23

Adorable! And great name! icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm, maybe hubby will have to get a flower cake for his birthday. icon_wink.gif hee-hee!

Carson Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 6:26pm
post #20 of 23

Thanks everyone and sorry I attached the picture twice, don't know what happened! The cake itself really didn't look like much and then I attached the daisies, and wow, what a difference! I was so scared the daisies would fall off the wire though, but they made it! thumbs_up.gif

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:42pm
post #21 of 23

What a fun cake - I love it!

iluvcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes5 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 6:50pm
post #22 of 23

Your cake looks so cute!!!! So what did you end up doing???? Did you dowel rod it? Or did you use straw? If straw - what kind? Also, what type of wire did you use?
CUTE CUTE CAKE!!!

Carson Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 2:51am
post #23 of 23

I just ended up stealing a couple drinking straws from my kids stash, one wasn't wide enough to get all the wires in, so I put two side by side. I used floral wire, 22 gage. I twisted two lengths together b/c I was worried one wasn't strong enough.

The straws worked great, no problems! I put the daisies in Sat morning, dropped the cake off and the customer gave it to his girlfriend Sun night, no flowers fell off or anything! icon_biggrin.gif - Can you tell I worry a lot about cakes holding up? I have never had a diaster but am waiting for mine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%