Icing Plaques And Edible Images....huh?

Decorating By SLK Updated 16 Jul 2006 , 7:40pm by Lisa

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 1:40am
post #1 of 13

Ok, stupid me...I let my neighbors daughter come over to look at pictures for her birthday cake in a few weeks. She wants a spongebob cake and picked out one with icing plaques.

My problem. I have no idea what an icing plaques is...or where you get them...etc.

I've also seen similar looking things called edible images - I am assuming this is what is made from those special printers with edible ink....right?

So could someone please tell me...
1. What's the difference between icing plaques and edible images.
2. Can either of these be made at home, if not where can you buy them.

I am specifically looking for spongebob, patrick, sandy and gary. I know I could try to make them with fondant/gumpaste...or use toys...but I'd like to know all my options.

Thanks....

12 replies
lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 1:42am
post #2 of 13

uhh, i know an edible image is a photo printed out on edible paper from a computer. you need special ink and a printer to do that, or sometimes bakeries will print one for a fee. i thiiiiiiiiink an icing plaque might be something like a frozen buttercream transfer. if you search for fbct in the forums and the articles you can see if that's what she was talking about.

sorry i couldnt be more help.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 1:44am
post #3 of 13

edible image can't support itself restanding...so

you apply it to a plaque made of hardened fondant or gumpaste. --icing plaque.

yes, if you have the printer, the edible inks, and the icing sheets can do all this at home'

or find somewhere that will print an icing image for a fee and then take that home and make plaque(s) to put it/them on.

warning...many places will NOT print out any copyrighted images that YOU bring in.

SLK Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 1:58am
post #4 of 13

ohh, I can see clearly now....

Now the hard part....try to find some place that prints these things out....easier said than done.

These are all new techniques for me so I'm trying to figure it all out.

I will probably try to just mold them out of fondant/gumpaste like my initial thought was...but maybe not...I have no idea.

Thanks for the info.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:13am
post #5 of 13

You won't be able to find a bakery or grocery store that will print copyrighted images of Spongebob & friends. What you can do though is to purchase a licensed edible image online and apply that to fondant to make the plaque. Individual characters can be cut out of the image(s).

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:22am
post #6 of 13

why not just do a fbct you can find a post on this site how to make fbct

SLK Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:26am
post #7 of 13

Don't fbct's have to be placed on flat cakes?

She wants a stacked cake, with a pinaple house on top...and the characters are just standing around the cake. Can you accomplish this with a fbct?

Doug Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:31am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Don't fbct's have to be placed on flat cakes?

She wants a stacked cake, with a pinaple house on top...and the characters are just standing around the cake. Can you accomplish this with a fbct?

not easily...

but you could w/ chocolate transfers..

same idea as FBCT only work w/ melted chocolate. drys hard, will support self.

or could do color-flow pieces

SLK Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:37am
post #9 of 13

Didn't think about color flow...I've done that before.

I have never worked with chocolate - I guess it would work similar to color flow - as far as how to do it.

Lisa...do you know of a specific web site that sells these? Or should I just do a google search.

Doug Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:40am
post #10 of 13

chocolate more like color flow...
outline areas and allow it to harden
then flood w/ color and allow to harden

easy to use the melting wafers (all kinds of colors already made up -- and can blend for more options)

do them in disposable bags with small hole (no tip needed) cut at end.

SLK Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 3:03am
post #11 of 13

Thanks doug...I don't think I will do this for this specific cake - but I do want to try it soon to learn the technique.

btw Doug...my daughter really enjoyed your nieces christmas tree cookie cake in the kids section. She has a few cakes in this category and goes there all the time to look at all the other cakes by kids.

Doug Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 3:05am
post #12 of 13

thanks...I'll tell Miss Molly when I see her in Aug.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Lisa...do you know of a specific web site that sells these? Or should I just do a google search.

Many online cake deco shops sell them. Sugarcraft has a pretty good selection and you can usually find them on eBay too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%