Make An Eggless Cake Mix ?

Decorating By chattycathy Updated 30 May 2005 , 8:18pm by m0use

chattycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chattycathy Posted 30 May 2005 , 6:42am
post #1 of 6

I had an order for an eggless cake , I have never done this before .
My customer brought me a box of something called egg substitute , it's a powder. I took the price of the stuff off of her total price.It said to mix one tsp of powder with 2 tbsp water for each egg called for in the recipe .
Turns out that it's just cornstarch and baking powder which I could have added with out buying this stuff .
Any way , the cake did not rise , it looks funky and from what I can tell it's salty and bitter ! (tasted the crumbs ) icon_sad.gif
I am so worried that this cake will tarnish my reputation icon_cry.gif
Does anyone have a tried and true method for making an eggless cake from a mix ? I only use mixes.
Thanks Cathy

5 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 30 May 2005 , 11:22am
post #2 of 6

The problem with substitutes is that sometimes the recipe will not work.

It is better to work with a recipe that does not use eggs in the first place:

Try one of these:

EGGLESS CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
4 oz soya margarine
1 1/4 c soya milk
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
8 oz plain flour
2 oz cocoa
8 oz sugar
Melt margarine, syrup and soya milk, except 4 tablespoons in a saucepan. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in remaining soya milk. Sieve all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Line an 8" (20cm) baking tin with greaseproof paper or baking parchment. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in oven 180C for ½ hour. Reduce to 160C for 1¼ hours. Once cooled, cover with melted dairy-free chocolate. Yum!

EGGLESS WHITE CAKE
1 c Sugar
1/3 c Butter
2 c Flour
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Baking soda
1 1/2 c Sour milk
Cream sugar and butter together. Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Combine baking soda and sour milk and add to the creamed mixture. Add dry ingredients. Grease 2 9 " layer cake pans bake 350 for 30 min. Frost. Serves 8- 10.

EGGLESS CAKE
1/2 c Shortening
1/2 c Sugar
3/4 c Milk
1 ts Vanilla
2 1/2 c Self raising flour
1 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Nutmeg
1/2 ts Cloves
1/2 c Raisins opt
Cream shortening, add sugar gradually. Add milk to which the flavoring has been added alternately with self raising flour that has been sifted with spices. Add raisins coated with self-raising flour and bake in well greased loaf pan in moderate oven (350) 35 to 40 minutes.

EGGLESS SPICE CAKE
1/2 c Butter
1 3/4 c Brown sugar
3/4 c Sour milk
2 1/4 c Flour
1 ts Baking powder
1 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Cloves
1/2 ts Nutmeg
1/2 c Nuts; opt
Cream butter and sugar well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to butter/sugar mixture. Add the nuts and put in a well greased 8 x 8 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

EGGLESS FRUITCAKE
First:
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice
4 oz butter
6 oz dried mixed fruit
4 oz sugar
12 tbs hot water
Second
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Third:
8 oz self raising flour
First: Put the ingredients into a saucepan and heat, stirring until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until lukewarm.
Second: Add the bicarbonate of soda and stir.
Third: Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the mixture. Mix well and pour into a greased cake tin. Smooth the top of the mixture and sprinkle with a few flaked almonds. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes at 185 degrees centigrade. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.

AND do not forget that dear old Wacky AKA Crazy Cake is also egg-free:
CHOCOLATE CRAZY/WACKY CAKE
3 c Flour
2 c Sugar
1/3 c Cocoa
1 ts Salt
2 ts Baking soda
2 tb Vinegar
2 ts Vanilla
3/4 c Oil
2 cups cold water
Sift all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix liquid ingredients in large jug. Pour over all and mix well. Do not beat! Pour into a greased and floured 9"x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Also try cupcakes, cutout cake, double-layer cake,etc.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 30 May 2005 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 6

I found one that is chocolate and uses a cake mix...
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/specex/msg082342207658.html

Quote:
Quote:

RE: LOOKING for: Eggless Cake
Posted by: C. Ricardo ([email protected]) on Mon, Jan 28, 02 at 17:44

My son has an allergy to egg, so I found this wonderful chocolate cake recipe, after time and a bit of testing, you can make a few different cakes.
1 packet Chocolate cake mix.
1 packet Instant chocolate pudding mix. (not the self-saucings pudding mix)
1 1/2 cups milk.
Mix all together using an electric mixer, Bake in a 20cm cake tin, at 180*C for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer come out clean.
VARIATIONS
Use vanilla packet mixes.
Use vanilla cake mix and strawberry pudding mix.
Use vanilla or chocolate packet mixes and add a Banana or 125g choc chips. (Reduce Milk by 1/2 cup)
The whole family loves it, I have to make it once a week.

chattycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chattycathy Posted 30 May 2005 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the recipes icon_smile.gif
I will try them .

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 30 May 2005 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 6

I did an eggless cake for someone a while back and she had me look online for the recipe. I think I put in keywords gluten free casin free cakes. It was a chocolate cake, and it baked well. It looks like you got a lot of good recipes, but I thought I would give you one more suggestion! Good luck!
traci icon_razz.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 30 May 2005 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattycathy

Thanks for the recipes icon_smile.gif
I will try them .

Your welcome, let us know how these turn out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%