That's It!!! No More Sheet Cakes!

Decorating By Bethroze Updated 20 Jul 2006 , 8:47pm by tiptop57

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 32

It is finally done, but now I have to clean up the house and wait for this monster of a cake to be picked up. I felt it looked too thin with one layer, so I went with two. Now it measures in at 3" or 3.5 plus boarder with a couple of more inches for the number cake on top and weighs in at 20 pounds.

I hope it goes over well, but I don't know if I want to do any more sheet cakes. Why do I hate them so.?.?. Is this really worth the $50 I quoted her?

This one is cooked caramel frosting filling and topping. Buttercream sides and decorations. It is suppose to be a Hawiian theme. Too bad I don't have any chocolate shells, hmmm...NO! No more!!! I am going to try and talk the customer out of me writting "Happy Birthday ????" I mean really, where would I put it?

Let me get back to my amaretto and cream this cake drove me to drink, (its not noon yet, shhhh...).
LL
LL
LL

31 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 32

Looks Great! The customer is getting a steal at $50 though!

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 32

You charge $50 for this cake?! You need to charge more - and make it worth your time and effort! It's a really cute cake! I think you could leave off the writing. Good job!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 32

Wow!! It sure is a cake to feed many people! About how many, Cassandra?
You did a wonderful job.I love it!

Bethroze Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 32

Cassandra, the customer, needed a cake to feed 50 people. She and her daughter where having fights over if it should be a half sheet or full sheet. I appeased them by saying I would rent a pan in between. Unfoutunately, I found that the pan had been rented earlier that week. That is why I thought it appropriate to add some to the layers since it was a 12x16 pan, instead of the 12x18 I had planned for.

And, yes, my husband gets on to me for "pimping myself out," with low prices. Not a nice way to say it, but I never know how to handle extra requests. My usual 1/2 sheet is $40 made in an 11X 15 pan and one layer. She did get quite a bit extra for ten more dollars, but that was my fault not hers.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 32

You did a beautiful job on it, and yes, your customer got a real steal.

I'm with you on the sheetcake thing -- I hate 'em! The size never seems to be right for the # of people they're supposed to serve, and that rectangle shape is SO boring to me. I always end up making way more cake than the person needs, but charging only for the # of servings they asked for. It's nuts.

I'd rather do a purse or present or topsy-turvy cake, any day.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 32

Renting pans? I have never heard of such a thing! Where and how does this happen?

BTW, the cake looks fantastic!

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 32

What the cake looks great! And what a steal for $50. I wish I could do buttercream cakes that look this nice.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 32

That cake is worth way more than $50. I hate sheet cakes also. I wish I could jus stick to wedding cakes. I hate all the colors used in celebration cakes!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 32

Sorry, Bethroze, the Cassandra name stuck into me. I'd like to know, for future reference, the approximate amunt of people a cake like yours would serve.
TIA

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 32

Local cake shop near me rents out pans. They have all their pans hanging on the wall numbered in permanent black marker. The rent is $3.00 for 2 days with a $40 refundable security deposit.

Much, much better than buying a character pan and only using it once, plus they have the Wilton Dragon pan for rent that is currently selling on Ebay for $75!

kathyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyg Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 32

this is a beautiful cake- I don't think you could've done any better. Ok- well maybe up the price. Your customer got a steal !!! icon_biggrin.gif

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 32

I think I'd rather buy the pan and then turn around and sell it on Ebay once I'm done with it. As long as you're reasonable with shipping and your products are in good shape, they'll usually sell ok.

If you buy a common character pan that's sold at Michael's or Hobby Lobby you might even be able to use a coupon. icon_wink.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 32

Our local cake & candy decorating store rents pans too. They are also hanging on a wall (in the back, you have to ask to see them) for $2.00 each for two days, and I think it was only a $10 deposit. There is one catch, don't ask to rent the graduate boy during June, or an Easter egg during April. She takes them off the wall so you have to buy the pan. It's a great deal for character pans though.

Bethroze Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 32

I rent from our local cake and confections store. It is a small family business, only one in a several mile area, AJ's Cake Supply.

$2 a pan for a week and a $10 refundable deposit. The great think about renting character pans, is that you don't have to store them in your house.

mlehrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlehrich Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 32

Check your local library as well. Around me (in Des Moines) there are three libraries that have them and check out at no charge!!! It has saved me a lot for last minute requets. They have the caracter pans, wedding cake pans - everything - and all Wilton. It was a great find!

Bethroze Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:32pm
post #17 of 32

icon_cry.gif She made me stand in front of her and pipe "Happy Birthday ????????" on top of the ocean waves. I had a #1 tip on my bag and she complained about the size of the letters being too small. I quote, "Oh well, it won't matter what it looks like after its cut." Uggg...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 7:04pm
post #18 of 32

Very pretty cake and it sounds so yummy...

Can't believe the birthday person wouldn't know this was a 50th birthday cake...

But, the customer is always right?

Have another drink, you certainly deserve it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 7:15pm
post #19 of 32

What???? OMG. Some people ... yeesh!

That cake frikking SCREAMED happy birthday already!

Make that next drink a double. And I'll fix one for myself in your honor icon_wink.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 32

I have to agree with the others.... you are incredibly talented and this cake is beautiful... and worth DOUBLE what you charged! I just love it - - maybe the reason you hate them so much is because you are doing them for a song and not really getting paid what you deserve. Raise your prices and try again and maybe you wioll be happier thumbs_up.gif

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 7:28pm
post #21 of 32

I'm going to ditto on the comments, but I do have a question - where in the world did you find number cake pans?????

BTW - I would never let this cake out of the house for less than a hundred bucks! And I'm CHEAP!!!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 7:28pm
post #22 of 32

(actually - I'm easy...not cheap)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bethroze Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 11:19pm
post #23 of 32

[quote="DelightsByE"]I'm going to ditto on the comments, but I do have a question - where in the world did you find number cake pans?????

The customer brought them to me, but I can find them at the local cake supply store here. Or, this is a link that was given to me when I asked a question on how to use plastic pans.

http://www.cakeartpartystore.com/store/e-StoreOperations_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=881

I guess I'm easy and cheap, at least my husband would like to think so. icon_wink.gif Dirty martinis for everyone who has had a tough day baking!!!

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 1:41am
post #24 of 32

That is a beautiful cake!

I think the reason we all hate the sheet cake so much is

a) The rectangle is soooo boring
b) There always seems to be too much/not enough servings for the number of guests
c) We never charge enough for the amount of supplies and time that go into them!

At least when you wrote the happy birthday on you spelled it correctly - I am a serial wrong name speller ! (3 times in 2 weeks!)

Bethroze Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 6:46pm
post #25 of 32

While at the beach with my children and parents, (went for a dance competition and made it a long weekend), my husband received a call from the customer of this *#!@% sheet cake. Everyone was thrilled and her daughter is going to order one for her birthday. Vic had to ask about the writing and she gave him the same answer she gave me, "It doesn't matter how it looks after you cut it." He gave her the "Do you realize how much work went into that cake?" speech. I don't think he was rude, but I wouldn't mind NOT doing another cake for her.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 6:56pm
post #26 of 32

I think that cake was so very cute! I would have written Happy Birthday on the numbers though, in a weird sort of font...you know? A print, not a script....to give it a funky look. icon_razz.gif

I have numerous chocolate shell molds and love them all.

And yes, I think you charged WAYYYYY too little for that cake! icon_razz.gif

luvcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcake Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 7:43pm
post #27 of 32

That cake is wonderful! I love it. You did an awesome job!!!

veronika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronika Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 8:08pm
post #28 of 32

You did a great job on the cake and it looked awesome!! I can't believe she made you pipe a message on it, I would have thought that writing would ruin it. thumbsdown.gif I love the waves you did! icon_razz.gif

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 8:22pm
post #29 of 32

Oh, Bethrose! icon_eek.gif

Girl, that cake is stupendous! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I can't believe she asked you to pipe on a "birthday" message, though...seriously warped if you ask me, it was perfect as it was!

And, you're lucky you have a husband to stick up for you and comment on your work!

Mine gets me quite a bit of business at the department, too...I'm lucky as well.

You did a great job! icon_biggrin.gif

--Knox--

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 8:30pm
post #30 of 32

Thats really cheap $50.00. Over here a cake like that goes for $90.00 easy and maybe more. I'm in New York city. great cake it looks scrumptous!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%