Sugarpaste Icing Problems

Decorating By missybear25_2004 Updated 16 Jul 2006 , 2:23pm by missybear25_2004

missybear25_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missybear25_2004 Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 11:38am
post #1 of 7

i like to use sugarpaste to decorate my cakes, but the only problem I've had is that by the time I've rolled it out to the perfect thinness to cover a cake, it's too crackly to use without looking weird. I don't want to have a super-thick layer of sugarpaste on my cake, so is there any way to make it more manageable? icon_biggrin.gif (isnt that smiley cute?)

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 7

try rolling it out between two pieces of lightly greased heavy duty plastic.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 1:33am
post #3 of 7

If you roll your sugarpaste/fondant out too thin, it will show every seam, bulge, and imperfection in the underlying cake and it will be very prone to tearing while smoothing. icon_surprised.gif

I just completed a class using fondant (see my photos for the Sugar Bear cake) and many of my classmates rolled their fondant too thin. The results were a lot of frustration and self-criticism. The recommendation is to roll it 1/6th to 1/4th of an inch thick. It's also much easier to move and smooth when it's the right thickness.

I really think that too thin a fondant coat is just as bad as a poorly iced buttercream cake that has areas of cake or crumbs showing through. thumbs_up.gif

Just my .02
Rae

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 3:27am
post #4 of 7

I'm new to fondant so I can't speak from experience...but I've read alot about it on this site. It sounds like the fondant is a bit dry to begin with. Also, I think someone just asked this question a week or so ago. Someone responded by saying to roll it out on a Crisco covered surface instead of using cornstarch since the cornstarch will dry it out but the Crisco will keep it malleable. Sorry if you already do this though. Good luck.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 3:33am
post #5 of 7

Also, try adding a tablespoon of Crsico to your fondant.

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 3:36am
post #6 of 7

I agree with what has been posted previously in that its best to roll it a bit thicker - its easier to smooth and looks nicer.

Also, a trick to keep is soft is to add some glycerin to it. Not a lot just enough to keep it soft and manageable. HTH

missybear25_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missybear25_2004 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 7

thanks so much for your help! the problem was that my sugarpaste was only a half an inch thick before it started cracking. i tried the glycerin- thanks so much!!! really helped a lot!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%