Easy Lace Suggestions

Decorating By Biya Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 2:33am by Biya

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:46am
post #1 of 13

I am making a birthday cake and was given lace from the birthday girls dress to copy. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy way to do lace. I will be using fondant and was thinking maybe doing the lace in RI in advance. Any suggestions would be great. I have two cakes due that day and would like to try and get as much done ahead of time as possible. TIA

12 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:59am
post #2 of 13

I have no idea but heres a bump

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:08am
post #3 of 13

If the lace piece is going be flat then yes do it in advance. Just be sure to make two pieces incase of breakage.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:11am
post #4 of 13

can you post a pic of the lace? There might be a mold similar that you could use or if we saw it, we might be able to help you out more...
I have seen lace impressions pressed into bc which was easy AND nice..I have a book( I think Wilton) where you press the lace over the fondant and then take another colour icing and ice over the top of it (the lace acts as a stencil) and then lift the lace off and voila...you have lace on the cake...so for an example, do a pale pink cake lay the lace on it, cover with white RI and then lift off...you would have white lace on the pale pink cake..pretty I think.

HTH some...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:14am
post #5 of 13

Yes, I agree with Jane, Ive seen the impression method also but using a piece of it and rolling it through a pasta machine so it comes out thin.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:16am
post #6 of 13

I have actually done what JaneK posted. I used ivory colored fondant and used black royal icing. I layed the lace over the cake (have enough to cover the entire surface you are icing) and frosted it. Then I lifted the lace carefully. It turned out very well. Good luck!!

Patrice

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:11am
post #7 of 13

i did a cake of a crocheted christening gown and the crocheted layer was on top of the traditional silk gown. so, i used fondant for the slip of the gown and then piped royal icing in the crocheted pattern on top of the fondant. it really gives it a nice, 3-dimensional look. if thats what you're looking for, you could give that a try.
BUT... i will say that this method took me a while and my hand was throbbing by the end. icon_cry.gif so, depending on the lace design and how intricate it is, might help you make your decision.

good luck icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:17am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenatea

I have actually done what JaneK posted. I used ivory colored fondant and used black royal icing. I layed the lace over the cake (have enough to cover the entire surface you are icing) and frosted it. Then I lifted the lace carefully. It turned out very well. Good luck!!

Patrice

What RI recipe do you use? It's not something I have much practice with, and the only recipe I've used would be kind of stiff and dry for this - I would like to have a recipe that I could try the lace design with for a cake next month! thumbs_up.gif

Biya Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:28am
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for some great suggestions I am going to try a couple tomorrow. I do have a picture ( not a very good one) but I couldn't get it to attach think it might have been too big. As far as the royal icing recipe I have tried a couple different recipes including the wilton, but I found a mix at a cake store and have been using that one. I used it to make a tiara and it pipes very nice, its inexpensive and you just add water and mix. They use a generic label so I don't have a name brand. Thanks again and I will try to post a pic of it when I finish.
LL
LL

Biya Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:29am
post #10 of 13

Well now I feel like a big dummy I guess it did attach!

Biya Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:30am
post #11 of 13

Well now I feel like a big dummy I guess it did attach!

Biya Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:31am
post #12 of 13

Now I feel like a big dummy I guess the pic did attach icon_redface.gif

Biya Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 2:33am
post #13 of 13

better go to bed now I think I'm seeing doubles lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%