Monogram Initials

Decorating By melissablack Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 5:08pm by indydebi

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 17

I'm wondering the best way to do monogram initials on the side of a wedding cake? I'd appreciate any tips. TIA
Melissa

16 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 17

I would love to know too.

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 17

i'm getting ready to do some this weekend and will be attempting them in Royal Icing.

But I think some people have used fondant or gumpaste also.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 17

I may have come up with the perfect thing! I have one to do this weekend as well........I did a little experimenting last night in the kitchen.......I mixed together:

3 egg whites, 1Tbsp Cream of Tartar, 2 lbs Powder Sugar, 1 pkg Gelatin, and 2 cups of melted marshmellows.........Mixed it all together for 10 minutes, except for the MM......after the 10 min, mixed in the MM until it was hard enough. Put it in a bag, and started piping! It was so nice to work with! It was so soft and smooth, but held its shaped when piped. I let them dry for about 2 hours, and I could pick them up off of the cookie sheet ( that was greased with crisco). They were flexible, but firm! I am going home tonight to play some more! I'll let ya know how it turns out! I am definitely going to use it for my momograms! (I printed them off of the computer in Word) BTW- this makes a Ton of icing!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 17

redhotmomma.....please let us know how it goes! sounds like it may work for my stuff I need also!!

Somethin-Sweet Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 17

I am really excited about it! Last night it looked great.....I will see when I get home today how it looks and feels. I could not get over how flexible it was! It would be perfect for putting things on round cakes without breaking them! I don't know how it would work with luster dusts though. Last night it kinda felt like that "puffy paing" that I used as a kid.......I will let you know.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 17

redhotmomof3 - that recipe sounds interesting - please keep us posted. I have purchased some of the sugarveil product (not the dispenser, though - bunchabucks for a hobbyist) but have not tried it yet. It looks like the perfect medium for monograms. Anyone using it?

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

redhotmomof3 - that recipe sounds interesting - please keep us posted. I have purchased some of the sugarveil product (not the dispenser, though - bunchabucks for a hobbyist) but have not tried it yet. It looks like the perfect medium for monograms. Anyone using it?

Yep.. and it works great... but... it dries VERY FRAGILE! If you mount it to the cake when it's at the flexible stage, it'll stay a little softer, but if you leave it out to dry, it's more fragile than royal. Oh the up side... if you have a piece that is too dry to work with, you can re-soften it by putting it in a plastic bage with a little dish of water (not touching) and it comes right back to flexible!

Somethin-Sweet Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 17

Sorry for taking so long........DH got back into town and cant stand having to share my attention! LOL! He says CC is my "boyfriend"!

OK.......so this is what I learned - this can be frozen or refrigerated when dry without any change whatsoever! Once you pipe your design, it takes about 2-3 hours before it is dry enough to pick it up........it can be applied to the cake then. Or you can let it dry overnight and it will get hard- but not nearly as hard as royal- It will not break your teeth if you try to bite it! LOL! It even tastes pretty good! Once dry, it is no longer flexible. So, it you want to put a design on a round cake, I would do so after 3 or 4 hours- .........MelC- I'll try that with mine and see how it does! Thanks for the tip!

One more thing.....I kept the leftovers in a container in the fridge, and they firmed up a little bit, but once whipped up again with the mixer, it was the same as it was before! DH is gone again this week, so I'm gonna play some more! I'll let y'all know! Thanks!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks for the update - sounds like something I need to try. MelC - thanks for the tip on fragility of dried sugarveil. I purchased the video from them and was pretty impressed (but, then, almost anything related to cake decorating impresses me icon_lol.gif )

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 17

Redhot, thanks! I have to try this. thumbs_up.gif What is the best way to get them to form for the side of a round? Put them over a canister? Do they have to set before laying them over something round? With my luck, the icing would run.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Zamode Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 17

Did you luster them, as well?

Somethin-Sweet Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 17

You could form them on something, but you don't have to. When they have set for a couple of hours, you just pick them up off of the greased wax paper, and they are very flexible........just stick em on.......

I did not try to luster them.......yet! I will try that tonight! The Sugarveil site says that you can brush it on in powder form, before they are completely dry. I will try it that way.

Zamode Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:30pm
post #14 of 17

Redhot, did you ever luster them?

Somethin-Sweet Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 17

Yes, I did.........I had to do it dry though- it did not work out too well mixed with Vodka-

I did it before they were completely dry- and it worked good!

Zamode Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 17

Pics!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:08pm
post #17 of 17

Wow, I must be really lazy. You guys do a lot of work on these ... I'm impressed! I just made them right on the cake using buttercream. There a pic of one on my website (2nd page of pics).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%