Using Cake Circles For A Stacked Tier Cake

Decorating By maidofhonor Updated 15 Jul 2006 , 12:39am by playingwithsugar

maidofhonor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maidofhonor Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,

I am making my first stacked wedding cake and need some help.

Last night I made the first tier (top tier) which is 8". I layered, filled, and crumb coated it on an 8" cake circle. However, the cake circle is wider than the cake. Even after I apply my fondant it will not be flush with the cake. Isn't it supposed to flush with the sides of the cake? When I stack the tiers, the circle is going to be showing. What am I doing wrong?????

7 replies
jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have an exacto knife(box cutter), that can be used for trimming the excess off?

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 8

How much bigger?? If you are going to do a border around each tier that will probably hide the overage. If not, you might have to put some flowers or something.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 8

Your cake circle should be the same size as the cake that sits on it - or just a bit smaller. If you don't have one of that size you can always trim it to size. Might be worth going ahead and trimming it and just redoing the fondant layer if it gets messed up in the process.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 8

You've simply got a board that's too big for your cake - you need to either trim the board down or pipe a row of beading or similar to hide the board once the cakes are stacked. Use a shap craft knife to cut the board with if you decide to do this - watch your fingers!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 8

Sometimes my cakes shrink smaller than the board it is supposed to be on. I leave the cake on the board and use a cutting wheel that they use to cut fabric. It eats through the cardboard like it was never there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 8

OOOOOOHHHHH. Good idea Theresa!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 12:39am
post #8 of 8

Glad to help. Just make sure you invest a couple more dollars in the cutting board that gets used with those wheels. Those wheels have diamond edges on them, and are surgically sharp. They will cut your wooden table if not protected.

Trust me, it's worth the investment. I have the largest board they make, and cover it with clear vinyl. The board is marked in inches, so it makes for easy measuring of rolled fondant, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%