Desperately Need Ideas For Bd Cake

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 20 Jul 2006 , 4:04am by oceanspitfire

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:06am
post #1 of 26

Ok this is really going to sound insane, but I have NO idea, as in ZERO ZIP ZILCH NIL, what kind of cake to make for my elderly (well ok 69) mother. Seriously, every person I've made a cake for has several hobbies, passions, interests. I've asked the rest of the family for ideas. We're all stumped - my mother is recently retired and not into anything, at all. She was a career receptionist most of her adult life- but since she's retired for a couple of years now, that isnt really relevant. Her birthday is in September, so I figure I'd consult the pros here for some ideas icon_biggrin.gif
I might start out by saying I'm not even close to being professional or practiced at frilly female type things- such as flowers- because I thought that would be the one thing to do for her because she does like plants and flowers in her apartment, but I have never even attempted a flower before icon_redface.gif -as much as I think she'd like just a maybe round cake, single or tiered, with cascading flowers- BUT other than like practicing every day for the next 2 months, I can't see attempting that icon_lol.gif

So....any ideas? I need all the ideas I can get - sorry I can't offer anything you know like when people say 'i need to do a new york rangers theme cake or something' -nope, nothing to offer, sorry icon_cry.gif

25 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:18am
post #2 of 26

Have a look on my website, in the "Adult Birthdays, Holidays and Special Celebrations Album"
On the first few pages there are alot of birthday cakes for older people. My favorites are the "life quilts" which have a place for where they were born, went to school, went to church, got married, their kids and grandkids, their jobs, their pets, their hobbies. The possibilities are endless. You can click the search tab, on the upper right of the page, to type "life quilt" which will bring up all of the quilts in one search. Have fun looking and I hope something inspires you. Let me know if you have any questions icon_smile.gif

http://www.sugarfrosted.com

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif
Anna

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:23am
post #3 of 26

You could get the number pans and do her age. You could get a shape pan and do it all in stars. Those are easy and come out cute. Does she have a dog, cat or family pet? Is there a favorite tv show she likes? You could bring a photo of her as a baby to a bakery and have them print it off so you can put that on the cake.

You could do a topsy turvy cake. Use bright color fondant and make different shapes.

I'm sure you will come up with something really cute.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:25am
post #4 of 26

You can buy gumpaste flowers online if you want. I bet someone here would make them for you if you really want them and don't have the time. I think something simple yet pretty with some dainty details would be enough. Fresh flowers, too. Choose her favorite colors and add some nice shape to the cake(s). Sorry I am not much help!

Anna the quilt idea is really cute.

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 5:36am
post #5 of 26

In my Wilton Course 1 book there is a picture of a white round 8 x 3 inch cake with drop flowers as the bottom border and then some spread around on the sides and top. It looks very feminine. And the drop flowers are way easier than Wilton rose. The book says tip 2D was used for the drop flowers, and tip 3 for the dots in the center of the flowers. In the book they are pink...but you could use her favorite color.

There was also a loaf cake in the book that had a shell border on the bottom and 2 color alternating shell across the top.

Good Luck!

bjwelchjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjwelchjr Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 10:50am
post #6 of 26

You could make a small batch of MMF and shaped flowers out of it. I was surprised how easy it was to make a small rose shaped flower by just rolling and pinching a small strip of the MMF. It dried in about 24 hours and then I could attach to cake and pipe leaves next to them. I can't do flowers either, but this was my alternative until I decide to undertake flower making!

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:00am
post #7 of 26

Drop flowers are easy - mix up a batch of royal - color to your choice and then get a sheet of foil and start twisting! Some will be wonderful - some won't look like flowers - play with different sized tips - just have fun and don't stress when one looks like something other that a flower. When they dry go back and make centers then when they are totally dry - next day - pick up the good ones and store in dry place for the cake. They last forever as long as you keep the dust away.

Another idea I did for an middle aged lady - doll cake! She cried! She said she always wanted one as a girl but never got one. At the very least it would remind her of her "little girl".

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:06am
post #8 of 26

a life "to do" check list:

grow up -- check
get married -- check
have kids -- check
don't kill the kids -- still in progress
have a career -- check
retire -- check
then list something(s) she's always wanted to do.
including
have a happy birthday -- check!

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:19am
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

a life "to do" check list:

grow up -- check
get married -- check
have kids -- check
don't kill the kids -- still in progress
have a career -- check
retire -- check
then list something(s) she's always wanted to do.
including
have a happy birthday -- check!

Hi Doug,

Absolutley love your idea. You come up with so many great ones. You are a true plus to cc. Just one question though, when do you sleep? icon_biggrin.gif

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:38am
post #10 of 26

Doug, that is the coolest idea! I may suggest that for my MILs birthday cake. I'd say she was elderly but she'll be turning 80 and still line-dances and mows her own lawn! icon_lol.gif Love that idea of the "to do" list.

You rock Doug!! thumbs_up.gif

kos

Doug Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 11:44am
post #11 of 26

thought of one more for the check list:

get revenge on my kids -- spoil the grand kids -- CHECK!!

(sleep...what's that!?!?)

and can't say here what first came to mind -- that would be over in the "Naughty Cake Discussion" forum but if my mom were still alive...I KNOW what I would have done icon_rolleyes.gif

oceanspitfire Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:38am
post #12 of 26

OMG I LOVE That quilt idea!
Challenge with my mom, she doesnt have a domestic bone in her body- born and raised in Germany, she's not that matronly cooking dinner and baking pies and cakes for family and knitting or ANYTHING like that lol, she was busy raising us 5 kids for well til i was 6 then I went to live with my dad icon_cool.gif (which is why I don't have this huge connection with her where I can say oh yeah she'd like such and such' ok - so she's not into gardening or reading or anything- althoughhhhhh I had an idea, when I was spotting some gorgeous lilac cakes in here (my favourite flower EVER) - I have a mission (with absolutely no experience b ehind me) to learn how to make flowers before september icon_biggrin.gif Am I a lunatic? Please tell me? I shall have to get practice boards . Is it possible to learn to do lilacs and what not without taking a course? OR should I not bother with the flower idea (She DOES love flowers)

Thanks for the brainstorm re topsy turvy cakes and stars and what not- no idea is too crazy- I shall pocket them all and swish them around in my head and make a decision what is feasible with my limited experience icon_smile.gif)

Zamode, that was lots of help- no apologies please lol- any idea is a good idea I figure icon_smile.gif)

ashley, thanks for hte ideas re cake pans- sale tomorrow I'm checking out- will see what they have- but i'll also be in the 'city' next month and hit the BIG stores, see what I can find icon_cool.gif

BJWelch, as I was browsing at the flowers gallery (searched 'flowers) I was thinking some of those didnt look TOO TOO hard, like the MMF ones- we'll see, Im making MMF next week- i'll save some and practice with it icon_lol.gif

Cowdex, it could be total llack of sleep last night, but I'm not following on the twisting foil technique. If there's a forum explaining it I'm sure I'll find it- will look this weekend after I catch up on sleep thumbs_up.gif

Doug, that absolutely rocks!

I must submit a tidbit of funny (albeit neurotic) info about my mother- the only thing she's REALLY obsessed with is health products, like cleanses, and can't help but get suckered into buying the latest parasite cleanse or whatever from her health food store (so lets see if anyone else besides my family comes up with any 'joke' ideas surrounding that one icon_lol.gif I REALLY do think the colon idea would be hilarious but knowing my mom, she wouldnt get it icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug, can you be my new mom? icon_biggrin.gif or at least take her under your wing and teach her about spoiling her grand kids? LOL

ok sorry for the long post LOL

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:46am
post #13 of 26

Good luck with you cake. But most of all remember I love this website because everyone is so super friendly and nice WE ARE ALL A BIG HAPPY FAMILY

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 3:49am
post #14 of 26

Since her birthday is in the fall, maybe you could do a cake with leaves and such instead of flowers. If you search the galleries here under "Autumn" there are some nice cakes. You could cut leaves from MMF or use chocolate molds. Just another idea.

poochynooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poochynooch Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:07am
post #15 of 26

OMG -- we have our mothers in common -- mine too is German and has no hobbies other than cleaning and their old country herbal cure alls. Mine is 74. She comes from Bavaria, so their colors are blue and white. I did her cake the Bavarian Blue with white writing and decorations on the top and bottom. She loved it as the coloring was perfect and reminded her of the old country......

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:17pm
post #16 of 26

Ok, I don't do flowers either, barring an occasional drop flower because butter cream and I don't get along, I have hot hands. However, I can make royal Icing flowers (go figure!) plus you can make them ahead of time, let them dry and then use the ones that turn out well. It isn't expensive to make and the worst that can happen is that you wind up tossing crunchy stuff.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanspitfire

Cowdex, it could be total llack of sleep last night, but I'm not following on the twisting foil technique. If there's a forum explaining it I'm sure I'll find it- will look this weekend after I catch up on sleep thumbs_up.gif

I make mine on foil - easy to peel off - cheap to use. -
"twist" the motion you make with your wrist to make a swirlly drop flower.

oceanspitfire Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:49pm
post #18 of 26

Mhill, I love the fall idea, I'll check out those pics - seems like cutting leaves out of MMF or even making them out of choco might be easier lol
thanks thumbs_up.gif oh and DIG the monkey pic ! I have that on a postcard somewhere someone gave to me

Lol pooch, I lived in Bavaria as a kid- that woulda rocked! My mom was born and raised in Bonn- big city girl- hmmm I'm getting more ideas as you guys keep em coming! Thanks for the creative juices

ok off to give some friends this new banana bread recipe I tried (hope it tastes as good as it looks lol

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 26

Elderly?? At 69??!! I'm still a ways from there, but it's not looking elderly anymore!

Drop flowers wouldn't be that hard to make and you have a little bit of time to practice. I mean, I am a pretty bad cake decorator but can make a reasonable flower.

Love Doug's idea, too. Specially don't kill children!

Or, cover a cake in ganache, simple border on bottom, and some tootsie roll roses or even real roses.

Let us know what you decide. Actually, I think you will be able to learn to make some flowers - I mean, if I can do it. Mine aren't perfect by any means but people who don't decorate cakes think they are great (or maybe I just have good friends). Good luck.

Doug Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 6:04pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanspitfire

My mom was born and raised in Bonn- big city girl

hmmm...

a sheet cake make up to look like a box of candy.....

bon-bons !?!?

could use real bon-bons for the top.

oceanspitfire Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 5:39am
post #21 of 26

LOL @ Bon bons, too funny ya goof icon_lol.gif
I think I'll just make a cake in the shape of a bottle of her favourite colon cleanse and see if she finds it as humorous as the rest of us LOL

Well I like taking on challenges so I WILL give making flowers a try- some simple ones- actually I analyzed the lilacs thing a bit more from a structural point of view and they may not be that hard to make- unless someone can tell me what tip to use to make them so I can go out and buy it if i dont have it already lol- but I will spend the next couple of weeks trying a few different kinds of flowers- if they dont look half bad (I mean in my eyes not compared to all you pros lmao) then I'll possibly do a round 2 tiered cake with sprinkles of flowers and seashell chocolates (I already make the chocolates for sale- never occurred to me until I saw the gorgeous cakes in here with sea shells all over that even 'I' can do that lmao

but back to the drawing board- you guys rock by the way thumbs_up.gif

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:30pm
post #22 of 26

You could do a nice autumn themed cake...with maple leaves, etc.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:45pm
post #23 of 26

How about taking the fall leaves a step farther and make a family tree cake? That wouldn't be too hard, I don't think.

oceanspitfire Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:44pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourangelsmommie

How about taking the fall leaves a step farther and make a family tree cake? That wouldn't be too hard, I don't think.

Hmm that sounds interesting icon_cool.gif - Do you think you could conjure up a sketch (a la Doug LOL) and give me an idea what you had in mind? icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 4:15pm
post #25 of 26

Here is a link to an autumn leaves family tree birthday cake I made:
http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/adult/normal_0748-12x18-80thbday-familytree.jpg

oceanspitfire Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 4:04am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Here is a link to an autumn leaves family tree birthday cake I made:
http://www.sugarfrosted.com/albums/adult/normal_0748-12x18-80thbday-familytree.jpg

That is a gorgeous tree! And I love the idea- I was about to post this earlier today but my 2 yr old niece came over to hang out and play LOL ok so I'm gonna start practicing flowers now and if they look abominable between now and Labour Day long weekend (Mom's birthday) then I will go with your family tree idea icon_biggrin.gif thanks! I shall post a sketch or mockup of what I think I shall do if I master the art of flower making in the next month thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%