Baking Strips Question

Decorating By mohara Updated 31 May 2005 , 3:09am by Mable_21

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 29 May 2005 , 3:07am
post #1 of 10

Hi.
I tried using the bake even strips for my football helmet cake, but they kept falling off. I think I couldn't get it tight enough because of the curves of the pan. If I pulled them real tight, there would be curves they wouldn't touched. Then the kept drooping to where their edges were resting on my oven rack, and I didn't think that was good. Do you think it was just because of the odd shaped pan that I had such trouble? Are they normally easy to use on round or square pans? I got very discouraged trying to use them and ended up giving up.

Thanks!

9 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 May 2005 , 3:13am
post #2 of 10

I have used them on round and square pans with no problem. I am guessing it is the shape of the pan that is the problem. I haven't used them with a odd shaped pan.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 29 May 2005 , 3:17am
post #3 of 10

I agree, I think it was probably the shape of the pan......they sometimes are a bit of a challenge on my square pans but on my round ones they are a snap....what I might do to make sure you get even baking in an odd shaped pan is to use you flower nail as a heating core...that should help it bake up evenly.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 29 May 2005 , 3:25am
post #4 of 10

If you have any slants or odd shapes, it's very hard to get them to stay on ... they work fabulously on round and square pans icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 May 2005 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 10

This is where the butterfly clips (they are metal and come from office supply) come in really handy, they will hold the strips on these odd shaped pans very well. Janice

mohara Posted 31 May 2005 , 1:31am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the tidbit. I have tons of butterfly clips. I will try that next time!!!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 May 2005 , 2:14am
post #7 of 10

Another option that works very well is to wrap the outside of the pan with Reynolds! It serves the same purpose as the strips and holds on those odd shaped pans just fine!!

mohara Posted 31 May 2005 , 2:27am
post #8 of 10

Do you just wrap it around the sides only, or underneath the pan as well?

Should it be the regular Reynolds or the heavy duty?

I have a few more odd shaped pans to do, and I want the cake to bake more evenly...it seemed there were dry spots in this one...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 May 2005 , 2:35am
post #9 of 10

just wrapping around the sides should be sufficient, just like the Baking strips are only wrapped around the sides. Regular foil works fine, heavy duty is not necessary!

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 31 May 2005 , 3:09am
post #10 of 10

A second set of hands helps out with the bake even strips! The only time I have had a problem is when I had to wrap a 16in pan. That's when I called in the husband. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%